No'ach's Ark, book of Sippar

  • catalaunum
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009
      No'ach's Ark
      .
      During the disaster that followed, No'ach and his family braved the watery cataclysm in their large reed craft. It was not gopher wood (there is no such thing). It was sealed with gophre, the Hebrew word for pitch or tar. The rabbinical sources reveal that its interior was lit by a marvelous blue sapphire that contained all knowledge. This same idea is expressed in the works of the Babylonian priest Berosus. He says that the story is in the sacred book called Sippar.
      Note of some very intriguing facts:
      The Hebrew word for book is Sefer.
      The Hebrew word for sapphire is Sapir.
      The Hebrew letter fey is changed to a pey by adding a dot in the middle of the letter. It changes an "f" sound to a "p" sound. Say the words (sefer and sapir) and interchange the "p" with the "f" and they are almost indistinguishable. In Hebrew, the word for a scribe is sofer.
      19th century sailing vessels used a sapphire shaped prism, flat on one end, built into its deck to light below decks. (I have a replica of this ship's prism on my mantle).
      And what is even more fascinating......some Jewish scholars have long held that the Torah itself, given to Moses on Mount Sinai, was engraved on two blocks of pure sapphire. So, is the Hebrew word for book, sefer, derived from safir or sapphire? http://tckillian.com/greg/mazaroth.html THE MAZZAROTH OR ZODIAC By Hilel ben David (Greg Killian)
    • Terri Burns
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009
        --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "catalaunum" <aetius@...> wrote:

        > No'ach's Ark
        > .
        > During the disaster that followed, No'ach and his family braved the watery cataclysm in their large reed craft. It was not gopher wood (there is no such thing). It was sealed with gophre, the Hebrew word for pitch or tar. The rabbinical sources reveal that its interior was lit by a marvelous blue sapphire that contained all knowledge. This same idea is expressed in the works of the Babylonian priest Berosus. He says that the story is in the sacred book called Sippar.
        > Note of some very intriguing facts:
        > The Hebrew word for book is Sefer.
        > The Hebrew word for sapphire is Sapir.
        > The Hebrew letter fey is changed to a pey by adding a dot in the middle of the letter. It changes an "f" sound to a "p" sound. Say the words (sefer and sapir) and interchange the "p" with the "f" and they are almost indistinguishable. In Hebrew, the word for a scribe is sofer.
        > 19th century sailing vessels used a sapphire shaped prism, flat on one end, built into its deck to light below decks. (I have a replica of this ship's prism on my mantle).
        > And what is even more fascinating......some Jewish scholars have long held that the Torah itself, given to Moses on Mount Sinai, was engraved on two blocks of pure sapphire. So, is the Hebrew word for book, sefer, derived from safir or sapphire? http://tckillian.com/greg/mazaroth.html THE MAZZAROTH OR ZODIAC By Hilel ben David (Greg Killian)

        Thanks for this, and to all of you who have kept this thread going.

        This brings us full circle to one of my first questions, which is, why would (in Sanskrit) a sapphire be/mean "dear to the planet Saturn"? A week or so ago, Brian wrote:

        "IMHO the narrow sense of Binah here (as a metaphysical abstraction) is dimensionalization. It is "mother" of all form because form cannot
        exist as such, or at least cannot be recognized as form, without
        dimension, thus it supplies the "place" wherein the form can exist
        (even if that "form" were a sephirot). Much more concise
        metaphysically, and naturally would fit the definition of Nuit the
        goddess of Infinite Space, or potentially-infinite dimensions...
        stripped of the marginally-related associations that are interesting
        but ultimately unnecessary and non-existent past a certain level of
        understanding. again all IMHO of course."
        -brian

        Saturn / Chronos is usually thought of as the God of Time, but lately many writers have pointed out that "he" seems to supplant an earlier Goddess, a "she" though as we've talked about often, the notions of gender at such a level of abstraction have little to do with what most of us think of while trapped in these lovely little meat sacks we wear around.

        But you're equating Binah (sphere of Saturn) with Form, as most do-- do you mind the revision of thinking of that "sapphire" as spacetime?

        LVX,

        Terri
      • a_seventh_son
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2009
          > Saturn / Chronos is usually thought of as the God of Time, but
          > lately many writers have pointed out that "he" seems to supplant
          > an earlier Goddess, a "she" though as we've talked about often,
          > the notions of gender at such a level of abstraction have little
          > to do with what most of us think of while trapped in these
          > lovely little meat sacks we wear around.
          LOL, gender distinctions lose the biological analogues in the
          supernals, or rather so many can be tied in without contradiction.
          Crowley mentions something to this effect in Book of Thoth, with
          the example of various members of the Hindu pantheon which seem
          to contain diametrically-opposed properties, contradictions in
          themselves etc.

          personally I like my 'matrix' interpretation, which is basically
          a potential vector field of n-dimensions, one realization of which
          is spacetime as we would conceive of it. and this peculiar
          realization it is which "descends" below the abyss, but it is
          only one formulation possible, Binah then becomes not form but
          literally the Mother of Form, but with pretty much no biological
          correspondence that makes any sense... the closest we get is virgin
          birth, generation of particle or energy from the vacuum of space
          corresponding on the physical plane. not only do I think this is
          useful, I think it's "right" :D in terms of correspondences

          that's my thought on the matter at hand anyway... and I'm not denying
          the existence of more-terrestrial aspects just that they only have
          relevance up to a certain level of undertanding.

          -brian
        • Terri Burns
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 7, 2009
            --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "a_seventh_son" <a_seventh_son@...> wrote:

            > > Saturn / Chronos is usually thought of as the God of Time, but
            > > lately many writers have pointed out that "he" seems to supplant
            > > an earlier Goddess, a "she" though as we've talked about often,
            > > the notions of gender at such a level of abstraction have little
            > > to do with what most of us think of while trapped in these
            > > lovely little meat sacks we wear around.
            > LOL, gender distinctions lose the biological analogues in the
            > supernals, or rather so many can be tied in without contradiction.
            > Crowley mentions something to this effect in Book of Thoth, with
            > the example of various members of the Hindu pantheon which seem
            > to contain diametrically-opposed properties, contradictions in
            > themselves etc.
            >
            > personally I like my 'matrix' interpretation, which is basically
            > a potential vector field of n-dimensions, one realization of which
            > is spacetime as we would conceive of it. and this peculiar
            > realization it is which "descends" below the abyss, but it is
            > only one formulation possible, Binah then becomes not form but
            > literally the Mother of Form, but with pretty much no biological
            > correspondence that makes any sense... the closest we get is virgin
            > birth, generation of particle or energy from the vacuum of space
            > corresponding on the physical plane. not only do I think this is
            > useful, I think it's "right" :D in terms of correspondences
            >
            > that's my thought on the matter at hand anyway... and I'm not denying
            > the existence of more-terrestrial aspects just that they only have
            > relevance up to a certain level of undertanding.
            >
            > -brian

            I like your matrix interpretation, but then I tend to like your interpretations.

            Here's a curve and a question for art historians. . . someone just wrote me off-list that she thought that in Leonardo Da Vinci's Virgin or Madonna of the Rocks, the Madonna is wearing a pendant which might be a very large dark (shadowed?) sapphire surrounded by small diamonds, right in the center of the painting. Any thoughts on this? (Symbolism, anyone?)

            LVX,

            Terri
          • a_seventh_son
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
              > I like your matrix interpretation, but then I tend to like your
              > interpretations.
              :-) LOL, thanks.

              > Here's a curve and a question for art historians. . . someone
              > just wrote me off-list that she thought that in Leonardo
              > Da Vinci's Virgin or Madonna of the Rocks, the Madonna is
              > wearing a pendant which might be a very large dark (shadowed?)
              > sapphire surrounded by small diamonds, right in the center of the
              > painting. Any thoughts on this? (Symbolism, anyone?)

              no... but... here's an observation of late also relating to
              that universal-genius Leonardo Da Vinci... I recently got an art
              print of Vitruvian Man for my humble abode, and couldn't help
              but noticing, of all things, the finger lengths of the man
              drawn. The index and ring fingers, similarly to my own, are equal
              or near-equal in length. That's fascinating to me, as I was
              reading an article several days ago about research having
              discovered that the ratio of ring and index finger is a defining
              characteristic of the hormonal levels of testosterone/estrogen
              to which the embryo was exposed in the mother's womb... those
              with noticeably longer index fingers are biased toward
              testosterone, those with protruding ring fingers to estrogen,
              and the nearer the two are to equidistant, the closer in balance
              the two sex hormones were prenatally. It is hypothesized,
              with significant backing research, that these chemicals play a
              major role in brain formation and hemispheric dominance (right
              brain -> estrogen, left brain -> testosterone, in really general
              terms). The protruding index finger is much more common in men,
              and dominant ring finger in women. Interesting how a very old
              and discredited art (phrenology, and palm-reading) end up
              connecting back to real genetic and developmental factors.

              It is fairly obscure, but thought you'd appreciate the
              observation. I also have his body type - you'll note Vitruvian
              man is NOT a muscular, mesomorph, but quite thin, with slender
              limbs... all this just convinces me Leo was even more a keen
              observer of human nature and perhaps of certain traditions
              related to the human 'alchemy' as well... we can even follow this
              deeper, note the higher instance of homosexuality among the
              estrogen-dominant male brain, consider the Greek ideal man, see
              what practices they engaged in, with whom, and what the young
              male of the species generally looks like in comparison to his
              testosterone-filled alpha-male counterpart... these and various
              other things practically suggest themselves, as well as commentary
              on the ignorant structure of society's attitudes and our gender
              stereotypes relative to non-evolutionary concerns...

              always fascinated by little details
              -brian

              > LVX,
              >
              > Terri

            • a_seventh_son
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2009
                sorry, I screwed this up. everything is right except the finger dominance... longer index = estrogen, longer ring = testosterone.

                -brian
                (a slightly index-finger-dominant male)

              • Terri Burns
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2009
                  --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "a_seventh_son" <a_seventh_son@...> wrote:
                  > > no... but... here's an observation of late also relating to
                  > > that universal-genius Leonardo Da Vinci... I recently got an art
                  > > print of Vitruvian Man for my humble abode,

                  Encoded into Vitruvian Man is supposed to be one of the ancient proofs for the squaring of the circle, and of course, the "Man as Measure of All Things."

                  2012forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43
                  "Vitruvius, the architect, says in his work on architecture that the measurements of the human body are as follows that is that 4 fingers made 1 palm, and 4 palms make 1 foot, 6 palms make 1 cubit; 4 cubits make a man's height. And 4 cubits make one pace and 24 palms make a man. The length of a man's outspread arms is equal to his height. From the roots of his hair to the bottom of his chin is the tenth of a man's height; from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head is one eighth of his height; from the top of the breast to the roots of the hair will be the seventh part of the whole man. From the nipples to the top of the head will be the fourth part of man. The greatest width of the shoulders contains in itself the fourth part of man. From the elbow to the tip of the hand will be the fifth part of a man; and from the elbow to the angle of the armpit will be the eighth part of man. The whole hand will be the tenth part of the man. The distance from the bottom of the chin to the nose and from the roots of the hair to the eyebrows is, in each case the same, and like the ear, a third of the face."

                  See the "drawn on" Vitruvian man graphic at the above site.

                  Also, in wiki entries on the cubit and the yard, among others, you can see a graphic showing how Vitruvian Man is supposed to depict nine historical units of measurement: the Yard, the Span, the Cubit, the Flemish Ell, the English Ell, the French Ell, the Fathom, the Hand, and the Foot.

                  For instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Cubit
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_units

                  Interestingly, V.M. also shows up on the Italian Euro.

                  LVX,

                  Terri