Re: [AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee] Re: Dee's Egg

  • Liz Forrest
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
      Implication being that things are not what they seem?  Always did feel more empathy with the bull than the matador.  In the dance called the 'paso doble', the woman represents  the 'serape'?  Or the bull?  Both?   Note the spelling of 'serape' if you look at it as English and remember that in Kerry Irish pronunciation, S = Sh.  A command?  Dance was perhaps forbidden for a reason by church authorities at various times?  Liz

      2008/7/1 catalaunum <aetius@...>:

      A Mexican cloak, yes.

      See: http://www.rugreview.com/orr/9-2-31.htm

      Andreas

      --- In AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Forrest"

      <greenlysard@...> wrote:

      > Interesting how the knowledge reappears now and then. Serape is the
      name of
      > a cloak, I think?

    • a_seventh_son
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2008
        maybe it is too obvious, but there is also Serapis, a goddess figure
        who was worshipped in Egypt a few hundred years BC.
        no time to dig in but feast your eyes upon the wikipedia article:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serapis

        and it seems the reknowned temple in Egypt was razed ala the Library
        of Alexandria:
        http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/greece/paganism/serapeum.html

        I vaguely recall reading a book once that stated something to the
        effect that the Tarot trump images were copied from originals at the
        temple of Serapis. sorry that I cannot credit the source at the
        moment. curious, no?

        -brian

        AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com<AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "Liz Forrest"
        > > <greenlysard@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Interesting how the knowledge reappears now and then. Serape is the
        > > name of
        > > > a cloak, I think?

      • Liz Forrest
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
          Yes, very.  Thanks for the links, Brian.  I'm still catching up with posts I've missed, so apologies for the delay in resopnding.   Robert Bauval is leading a couple of tours through Egypt,  I'd love to do, this fall and winter, but not within my budget as yet!    Liz

          <greenlysard@...> wrote:

          > Implication being that things are not what they seem? Always did
          feel more
          > empathy with the bull than the matador. In the dance called the 'paso
          > doble', the woman represents the 'serape'? Or the bull? Both?
          Note the
          > spelling of 'serape' if you look at it as English and remember that
          in Kerry
          > Irish pronunciation, S = Sh. A command? Dance was perhaps
          forbidden for a
          > reason by church authorities at various times? Liz
          >
          > 2008/7/1 catalaunum <aetius@...>:

          > > A Mexican cloak, yes.
          > >
          > > See: http://www.rugreview.com/orr/9-2-31.htm
          > >
          > > Andreas
          > >
          > > --- In
          AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee@yahoogroups.com<AlchemistRoyalAdvisorDrJohnDee%40yahoogroups.com>,

          > > "Liz Forrest"
          > > <greenlysard@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Interesting how the knowledge reappears now and then. Serape is the
          > > name of
          > > > a cloak, I think?

        • a_seventh_son
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 4, 2008
            > Yes, very. Thanks for the links, Brian. I'm still catching up
            > with posts I've missed, so apologies for the delay in resopnding.
            ah - no problem at all, I'm glad you found the links useful.

            > Robert Bauval is leading a couple of tours through Egypt, I'd
            > love to do, this fall and winter, but not within my budget
            :-) I understand (and sympathize with) that

            The interesting thing about Serapis is the connection of this deity to
            the Sophia, which in my mind seems quite a natural correspondence. It
            would of course be doubly appropriate given the association of the
            Mysteries cultus devoted to Serapis to the Tarot Trumps, as a
            concealed record of the initiatic mysteries. So obviously this is NOT
            a cult of the 'great mother', Diana, Venus/Aphrodite but what seems to
            be a far older deity possessed of quite different characteristics than
            those traditionally associated with 'goddess worship' - and perhaps
            one equally vital to understanding the progression and development of
            the western esoteric tradition? unfortunately I am unable to support
            this connection with conclusive reasoning, it is merely an intuition.

            -brian
          • Liz Forrest
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 5, 2008
              Re emphasis lately on Serapis.  Looking at script of movie  National Treasure 2, its focus on Cibola, supposedly a city of gold, leads them on a path which appears to link with 'the Golden Calf', of the old biblical story of Moses.  No mention of it in the movie, but one of my perceptions led that way, so I think your intuition is right on, Brian.  With Bo as 'Cow in Ireland, the calf as her son/daughter?  The image of the mother goddess with infant may be much older than thought.   See Bo There?  Liz