A break in the silence

  • elfsbeth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      I was doing a bit of research for a friend to confirm to them that
      the word 'rapture' is man made not god inspired, and decided to post
      this inforamtion. Learned a few new things along the way.

      The Rapture Theory: It's Surprising Origin
      http://askelm.com/doctrine/d760201.htm
      The Newness of the Doctrine
      <<It may come as a surprise to many Christians, but the doctrine of
      the Rapture is not mentioned in any Christian writings, of which we
      have knowledge, until after the year 1830 A.D. Whether the early
      writers were Greek or Latin, Armenian or Coptic, Syrian or Ethiopian,
      English or German, orthodox or heretic, no one mentioned a syllable
      about it. Of course, those who feel the origin of the teaching is in
      the Bible would say that it only ceased being taught (for some
      unknown reason) at the close of the apostolic age only to reappear in
      1830 A.D. But if the doctrine were so clearly stated in Scripture, it
      seems incredible that no one should have referred to it before the
      19th century. This does not necessarily show that the teaching is
      wrong, but it does mean that thousands of eminent scholars who lived
      over a span of seventeen centuries (including some of the most astute
      of the "Christian Fathers" and those of the Reformation and post-
      Reformation periods) must be considered as prophetic dunces for not
      having understood so fundamental a teaching. We are not denigrating
      the doctrine in mentioning these historical facts. That is not our
      intention. But we do feel that the Foundation should show the
      historical problems associated with the teaching. This lapse of
      seventeen centuries when no one mentioned anything about it must be a
      serious obstacle to its reliability.

      Its Beginning
      The result of a careful investigation into the origin of the Rapture
      has been recently published. The book is an excellent one which
      deserves to be read by all people interested in the subject. Its
      title: "The Unbelievable Pre-Trib Origin" by Dave MacPherson. He
      catalogs a great deal of historical material which answers the
      doctrine's mysterious derivation. We wish to review the results of
      his research. ?>>