Error in google earth with shorelines

  • ernst.cozijnsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
      Hi Guys,

      I was playing around with .gpx files and Google Earth when i found a strange kind of error.
      I imported my .gpx with a track on it from my sounder into google earth and i saw that my track matches the way i walked but i did not match as an overlay in Google Earth.

      I've put an error.gif in de files/Ernst directory.

      This brings me to the point that if you use a shoreline created in GE it will not match the shoreline in real life and the map created in DrDepth will be offset by a lets say +/- 5meter.
      I tried looking for changing my viewing offset in GE but it did not find any help.

      Did anyone had the same problem and is there a way around this?

      Gr,

      Ernst
    • infraredjohn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
        Quite common unfortunately.
      • lmitout
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2009
          --- In DrDepth@yahoogroups.com, "ernst.cozijnsen" <ernst.cozijnsen@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys,
          >
          > I was playing around with .gpx files and Google Earth when i found a strange kind of error.
          > I imported my .gpx with a track on it from my sounder into google earth and i saw that my track matches the way i walked but i did not match as an overlay in Google Earth.
          >
          > I've put an error.gif in de files/Ernst directory.
          >
          > This brings me to the point that if you use a shoreline created in GE it will not match the shoreline in real life and the map created in DrDepth will be offset by a lets say +/- 5meter.
          > I tried looking for changing my viewing offset in GE but it did not find any help.
          >
          > Did anyone had the same problem and is there a way around this?
          >
          > Gr,
          >
          > Ernst

          Interesting that you should post this question as I noticed the same issue. In my case I created the shoreline in Google Earth and loaded it into Dr. Depth where I merged that file into a database with the rest of my depth data. I could then see that the shoreline was shifted to the east about the distance you mentioned.

          The odd thing is that after I created a .bmp file of the shoreline and contour map, I pulled that file into Google Earth but for some reason just a portion of the shoreline came with. Also, the entire file was now shifted that same distance noted above as a GE overlay. It seems that it was shifted by Dr. Depth and I'm guessing it's due to the reference .drd file, or dummy file, that I made to create the database.
        • wiggler@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2009
            --- In DrDepth@yahoogroups.com, "ernst.cozijnsen" <ernst.cozijnsen@...> wrote:

            > This brings me to the point that if you use a shoreline created in GE it will not match the shoreline in real life and the map created in DrDepth will be offset by a lets say +/- 5meter.

            I have found my lake shoreline is shifted to the south and east