Neighborhood Meeting: 42-Story Residential Tower in Our Neighborhood

  • sealzachary
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2007

      For the past few years, a plan to build a 42-story high-rise in our neighborhood at the intersection of 19th and Alice Streets has been working its way through the planning process.  The residential tower would include 370 market rate units and a 1,000 square foot ground floor café, and would be the tallest building in Oakland.  The project would also involve the elimination of Shilling Gardens, a historic private Japanese garden adjacent to Snow Park.

      The project would potentially have positive and negative impacts on our neighborhood including but not limited to the following:

      • More traffic and fewer available on-street parking spaces in our neighborhood.
      • Street, sidewalk and Snow Park improvements funded partially or wholly by the developer.
      • More high-income earners in our neighborhood, which would theoretically attract more retail stores and services to our neighborhood.
      • Shadow, shade and view blockage impacts.
      • Generation of additional property taxes to fund city services.

      If our neighborhood (14th-19th Streets between Lakeside-Alice Streets) is uninvolved with the planning process, then the developer and planning commission will make all the important decisions about the project for us.  They will decide, for example, how tall the building should be, how many parking spaces the project should provide, what the design should look like, what types of public infrastructure improvements (i. e. Snow Park enhancements) the developer should pay for, and ultimately, whether the project should be approved or denied.

      ALTERNATIVELY, if a base of concerned people in our neighborhood becomes mobilized, we can greatly influence many aspects of the final project plans.  All we have to do is have a few meetings and then pick a few spokespeople to convey our desires and opinions about the project to the Oakland Planning Commission.

      If you are interested in participating in a community meeting (feel free to just come and listen) to look at renderings and learn more about the project, and help shape our neighborhood's position on this project, please email me and I will coordinate a meeting time and place. You can reply to this email or email me at the address below.  Thanks and I hope to see some of you soon!

      Zach Seal
      zachseal@...