Dog Park In Our Neighborhood

  • Zach Seal
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2007

      Posted by neighborhood resident Marilyn Chin:

      I understand that the freeway side of Lake Merritt by Grand/Lakeshore is slated to have a dog park. I am interested in having one established on the downtown side. Some of us who moved downtown to be closer to our jobs also want to do away with our cars if we can. But we usually end up driving our dogs away.

      With all the new condominiums going up and the restriction against dogs, on leash or off, in the City of Oakland parks, it's time we voice our frustration that dog owners would like to recreate with our dogs in the parks or a designated dog park. Other people rollerblade, play tennis, play with their kids, we play with our dogs.

      Old Oakland neighborhood is investigating having Jefferson Park on Jefferson and 7th Streets turned into a much needed dog park. Although it is a baseball field, it is rarely used and the bathrooms are boarded up. A dog park will bring users from dawn to beyond dusk if there are lights. Professional dog sitters with clients all over the live-work lofts in Jack London and downtown would appreciate having a dog park. I think even nondog owners would appreciate our having a place for our dogs so that they do not have to encounter them.

      If you are interested in a dog park in downtown somewhere, there are a couple of things you can do:

      Subscribe to O'Dog online newsletter. This group (Emily Rosenberg) spearheaded the new Oakland dog parks. Emily is attending the Old Oakland Neighborhood meeting on April 23 at La Boriquena Mexicatessen to answer our questions as to what to do.

      In Old Oakland Neighborhood, I am trying to get dog owners to meet for a dog romp the last Sunday of the month. Meeting at It's A Grind at 11th and Clay Streets, we go across the street to a grassy area to talk and let our dogs play. Let me know if you want to join us.

      You can do the same in your neighborhood, maybe using Lisa's passion for pets as a meeting place or somewhere along the Estuary.

      Then join with me in attending one of the citywide OPR focus meetings in May to talk about our need to have a space for dog owners and their dogs. We need to make ourselves visible and vocal.

      any more thoughts?

      Marilyn and her dog
      510-452-7803

      oldoaklanddog@...