68Volunteers needed to tutor Oakland elementary school students

  • sealzachary
    Jan 7, 2008
      This is a message posted by neighborhood resident Matt Aguiar.  As a reminder, if any other residents want to post a message on the listserv, send me an email by clicking "reply" to this email.

      Hello Downtown Lake Merritt Neighborhood Group Members!

      My name is Matt Aguiar and I'm the Director of Operations for YES Reading, a local nonprofit organization that works to expand life opportunities for at-risk elementary school children by empowering them with strong literacy skills.

      We work directly with schools to provide one-on-one literacy tutoring for students who read below grade level. We were founded in 1999, and since then we've deployed our successful model to 10 elementary school centers, including our two sites in Oakland that opened this fall.

      I wanted to let you know about the opportunity to become trained literacy tutors for children at our reading center at Berkley Maynard Academy (Oakland/Emeryville Border on San Pablo at Alcatraz) or at Lighthouse Community Charter School (downtown Oakland on 12th Street at Harrison). Volunteering with YES Reading is a great opportunity for those citizens looking to make a positive impact in their local community. Tutoring requires absolutely no experience and can take as little as 45 minutes per week. Tutoring sessions take place Monday through Thursday from 9am-5pm at Berkley Maynard and from 4-6pm at Lighthouse.

      If you are interested in getting involved, you can learn more by visiting http://www.yesreading.org and can register at http://volunteer.yesreading.org. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions at volunteer@....

      Thank you very much!

      Matt Aguiar
      Director of Operations
      YES Reading