Re: missing 4-strip ribbon cable between bus-boards

  • Tim Stinchcombe
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      Hi A1k,

      That little cable doesn't come as 'standard' with a G6, as far as I
      know: EMIS sell it as a 'bus link' cable for a few pounds. It's
      purpose is to link the 'gate' and 'CV' buses between the upper and
      lower busboards, so that if you have your A-190 plugged in either to
      the top or bottom row, other modules, wherever they are (either top
      or bottom), can 'see' these two signals. The link can either be
      between the 'gate' and 'CV' jumpers between the two boards (the
      jumpers are in the middle), or (as the EMIS cable does) it just plugs
      into a spare power connector top and bottom. (It is quite easy to
      make one up too.)

      Tim

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "analog1k" <analog1k@...> wrote:

      > I recieved another 6U case filled with modules today, however
      > i am experiencing problems already with this new unit, I
      > have noticed that on my existing 6U rack there is a 4-strip
      > ribbon cable connecting the upper and lower bus-boards together
      > what is this for ?
      >
      > On my new 6U system, that 4-strip ribbon connection cable is
      > missing, as some of the modules have failed to work not even
      > any of the LED's light up? especially the PLL module.
      >
      > Other problems are when i use my midi-analogue sequencer (a P3)
      > connected to the A-190 MCV interface, all i get is a constant
      > gate tone in the key C, although the sequencer is playing a
      > 8-note sequence line, the doepfer responds by just playing one
      > single note instead of 8 different ones, as I said there a cable
      > missing between the lower and upper bus-boards.
      >
      > I tested the A-190 in my other doepfer unit and it works fine,
      > so that is not the problem ?
      >
      > Should i contact EMISmusic (UK) and ask them to send me that
      > 4-strip bus-board connector cable?
      >
      > Any info much appreciated
      >

      > Regards
      > A1k

    • Dieter Doepfer
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        A1k,

        the 4-strip ribbon cable is not an accessory that we offer. Maybe the former
        customer has added this cable (or it is offered by the Doepfer
        representative in your country).

        The only accessory that is a bit similar is the "A-100BC CV/Gate bus
        connection cable". But this only a 2 pin cable with a jumper soldered to
        each side of both cables. The cable (or even one wire only) can be used to
        connect the CV and/or Gate lines of 2 bus boards. E.g. if the A-190 is
        located in the lower row and you have one or two VCOs in the upper row the
        CV line of the lower bus board can be connected to the CV line of the upper
        bus boards by means of this cable. For this the CV and Gate pin headers on
        the bus boards are used.

        Details on page 9 and 10 of the A-100 user's manual (pin headers/jumpers
        J1,J2).

        Pay attention that only one module is allowed to put CV and Gate to the bus
        (e.g. A-190 or A-185, not both). Otherwise a short circuit of two CV or Gate
        outputs is the result. Details in the user manuals of A-185 and A-190.

        > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

      • analog1k
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Dieter Doepfer" <hardware@...>