[Doepfer_a100] Re: wish 4 a offset generator

  • martin olson
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 1, 2002
      > Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com "duffnuff" <duffnuff@...>Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:53:35 -0000
      > [Doepfer_a100] Re: wish 4 a offset generatorReply-To: Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com
      >
      >> Why
      >> not just use an A138a mixer and the CV source module, like I
      >>do?

      Yes i could do it that, but i need the 138 for other things in a patch, plus i want a dedicated module who can supply me with:
      1. 4 x voltage from -5to+5 V, without any input needed.
      2. 4 x offset gen. that changes the input cv, from bipolar to a output signal in the negative rage only, or 80%negative&20%positive, not just 50 50 as it is now...
      etc etc.
      my point is that this module is one of the cornerstones i analog synthesis,
      so why go over the bridge for water...???dnfn???

      >> Joe
      >
      >joe
      >great suggestion (duh). makes sense for fine tuning vibratos,
      >etc, such as moving a vibrato(lfo) to stay above the osc pitch
      >rather than symmetrical all the time. but would this work for
      >negative offset values? such as vibrato movement BELOW the
      >osc pitch? can you get a negative value from the CV source to
      >mix w lfo?
      >duff

      wood. fire. hand. go. http://www.bullseyeart.com

      Express yourself with a super cool email address from BigMailBox.com.
      Hundreds of choices. It's free!
      http://www.bigmailbox.com
    • buechlerjoe
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 8, 2002
        > I noticed that it can distort, antenuate, but I never manage to get
        > those juicy radical waveshape modifications!
        > Can't you give one patch example how you do it?

        I had to get past a frustrating "plateau" with the A136, but I finally
        got a better appreciation of the how to use it by experimenting with a
        single unfiltered sine wave. I realized that if the original audio
        signal is already rich in overtones, harmonic distortion can be very
        subtle and difficult to ascertain. Also, filtering downstream of the
        distortion removes a lot of the high frequency overtones which were
        added by the distortion.

        I start by "nulling" the +A, A, and -A knobs to a minimum signal
        level. Then I set the A knob to about 4.5 (unity gain). With the
        clipping level pots at center, slowly adjust the +A pot to the left
        and right and you'll hear an amazing array of tonal colors. Adjusting
        the +L pot adds even more variations. Finally, use the -A and -L
        controls to add a "2nd dimension" to the tone.

        When trying the A136 in a more complex patch, its easy to forget that
        our ears are mostly used to hearing distortion applied to guitars, and
        at the end of the audio chain. Learn to swim in the shallow part of
        the pool before you dive off the deep end. Start with the A136 at the
        end of the audio chain , and start with patches that are similar to
        the sounds you're used to hearing distortion on, with lots of sustain.

        Happy experimenting.

        Joe