Re: Questions on A136 Distortion Module

  • Tim Stinchcombe
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi Ingo,
      This question of the A-136 has come up several times in the past -
      it is quite a tricky module to get to grips with, and matters aren't
      helped by the manual not being as precise as it could be.

      Check out posts #307 and #1172, but read them carefully! For my money
      it is much easier to understand this module if you have an
      oscilloscope, but Joe (author of #307) proved it was possible with a
      simple meter, a good ear, and lots of patience!

      Tim

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "ilanode" <techmeier@w...> wrote:

      > Hello list, the A136 is on my mind for long time. Recently I had the
      > chance to toy with it for a while and was wondering on the results:
      > 1) On *any* of the VCO's waveforms it had rather minor impact.
      > 2)Dramtic and great results could be obtained by feeding a more
      > complex signal (= Jomox drum machine) into the module. However, some
      > settings boost the bass which I didn't expect.
      > 3) There was no neutral setting. Eg feeding white noise into the
      > module while all pots set to 0 lead to an obvious loss of high freq.
      > 4) I expected the -L pot being an attentuator for external CV on -A
      > (some for L and A) but they seem to be independent from one another.
      > I've to admit that I have no experience with Distortion devices (let
      > alone Waveshaper) so probably my expectations were mislead. Anyhow, I
      > wonder wether all A136 behave as decribed: almost no effect even on a
      > square wave; possible bass boost; lack of neutral setting; no
      > connection btn. -L/-A and L/A? And, your application for the A136?
      > TIA, Ingo

    • Dieter Doepfer
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
        A lot of our suppliers announced significant price increases or have already
        increased their prices. E.g. the jack sockets are increased by 30%, the
        rotary potentiometer by 25% and the vactrols by 300% (no typing error, the
        price is three times compared to the former price). Most of the price
        increases are caused by the new lead-free/ROHS law (restriction of hazardous
        substances). The price increases for integrated circuits (provided that the
        will be continued ...) and other ROHS compatible electronic parts are
        acceptable (~5% or even less).

        We will have to re-calculate our prices and I expect price increases in the
        5-15% range (depending on the parts used in the module in question). The new
        prices will be valid from January 1st, 2006. For all orders we receive not
        later than December 31th, 2005 the old prices are still valid.

        I'm very sorry about that but we cannot compensate price increases in the
        ranges mentioned above and I expect that other module manufacturers will
        follow soon (as you know we all use e.g. the same Cliff 3,5 mm jack
        sockets).

        But there are also some good news:

        We still have many patch cords from earlier production series in stock. As
        of now (December 1st, 2005) you can get three free cables of your choice
        together with each A-100 module. The cables are available in the same colors
        and lengths as the new cables (for details please refer to A-100
        accessories) but the plugs are a bit different. Only the green 2 m cables
        are not available within this campaign as these were not manufactured
        earlier. The special offer is valid while stocks last.

      • David Salter
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
          Dieter,

          is this campaign only direct or from your distributors as well.

          Rgds

          David

          David Salter
          Senior Project Manager
          Reuters Ltd
          Tel +44 20 7542 2402
          Mob +44 7990562402
          email david.salter@...
          RM david.salter.reuters@...

          ________________________________

[...]

          A100
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=A100&w1=A100&w2=Modular+system&w3=S
          ynthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipment&w6=Guitar+
          synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=7qk4KfDanDiWmDiNwkErZA> Modular system
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Modular+system&w1=A100&w2=Modular+s
          ystem&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipment&
          w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=hHqbBveG60BFBUgxUgOrwQ>
          Synthesizer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Synthesizer&w1=A100&w2=Modular+syst
          em&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipment&w6=
          Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=TkVI4dZwQYtej5a8axJk6A>
          Electronic payment
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronic+payment&w1=A100&w2=Modul
          ar+system&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipm
          ent&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=A8SEMukXwntRihU64CJcYw>
          Electronic test equipment
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronic+test+equipment&w1=A100&w
          2=Modular+system&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test
          +equipment&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=PL6Pwu2HodmGUNuOO8bogQ>
          Guitar synthesizer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Guitar+synthesizer&w1=A100&w2=Modul
          ar+system&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipm
          ent&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=3frDmfcEV4WWrJJ1dkws0w>

          Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.

        • Dieter Doepfer
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
            With some delay (not to be mixed up with the analog delay module :-) the
            free cables will be available even from our distributors as it is valid for
            new orders only. It's a short-term decision we made just yesterday. For the
            modules that are now in stock at our distributors they don't have these free
            cables available. But we will add some of these cables to the next
            consignments that go to our distributors.

          • David Salter
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
              Thanks Dieter

              David Salter
              Senior Project Manager
              Reuters Ltd
              Tel +44 20 7542 2402
              Mob +44 7990562402
              email david.salter@...
              RM david.salter.reuters@...

              ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good!
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/rG9bLB/dnQLAA/n1hLAA/QnLolB/TM

              Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.
            • ilanode
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                Thanks a lot for any of your responses!
                @Tim, even though I had an older threat in in mind I was puzzled
                about the module. You're right: reading the manual makes a
                difference. However, still the almost non existing effect on any VCO
                waveforms make me wonder wether this partic. module works as it
                fellow A136s or not.
                Unfortunately I didn't gave it no try on CVs. Regards, Ingo
                (@Ingo thanks for your offer, I'll get back on you later. I've hardly
                access to net at the moment.)

                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Stinchcombe" <timothy@t...>