Re: Questions on A136 Distortion Module

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2005
      hello ingo,

      if you still have questions regarding the a136,
      please contact me directly off-list.

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "ilanode" <techmeier@w...> wrote:

> [...]
      > was close to non-existent. None of the waveforms were able to come
      > up with a result worth mentioning. We were 2 of us in front of the
      > module and both *very* disappointed untill we came up with the
      > Jomox. Since the A pot needed to be at -1 in order not to amplify
      > probably it's a calibration issue with this particular unit we were
      > toying with? Regards, Ingo
      >

      > - In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "selfoscillate"
      > <synaptic_music@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > hello ingo,
      > >
      > > 1. the a136 should have great effect on waveforms like
      > > triangle, sine or sawtooth, but the results vary widely,
      > > depending on the knob settings. on some settings you get
      > > no output at all.
      > >
      > > 2. i use the a136 for complex signals too, like drums
      > > or vco-mixtures. often the level is boosted, maybe that
      > > is why the bass is boosted too.
      > >
      > > 3. indeed it is not easy to get a neutral setting.
      > > your described knob-settings don't give neutral settings
      > > for sure. i'll try to figure out the neutral setting
      > > if i find the time.
      > >
      > > 4. afaik the pots are no attenuators, the pot setting and the
      > > cv are added internally. i guess the a136 manual will
      > > help clearing this issue.
      > > i often use the a136 for complex external
      > > signals. it is also nice inside a feedback loop.
      > > dc-voltages will also be altered heavily, but i don't
      > > do that too often, the changes are not subtle enough for me.
      > >
      > > best wishes
      > >
      > > ingo
      > >

      > > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "ilanode" <techmeier@w...>
      > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello list, the A136 is on my mind for long time. Recently I
      had
      > the
      > > > chance to toy with it for a while and was wondering on the
      > results:
      > > > 1) On *any* of the VCO's waveforms it had rather minor impact.
      > > > 2)Dramtic and great results could be obtained by feeding a more
      > > > complex signal (= Jomox drum machine) into the module. However,
      > some
      > > > settings boost the bass which I didn't expect.
      > > > 3) There was no neutral setting. Eg feeding white noise into
      the
      > > > module while all pots set to 0 lead to an obvious loss of high
      > freq.
      > > > 4) I expected the -L pot being an attentuator for external CV
      > on -A
      > > > (some for L and A) but they seem to be independent from one
      > another.
      > > > I've to admit that I have no experience with Distortion devices
      > (let
      > > > alone Waveshaper) so probably my expectations were mislead.
      > Anyhow, I
      > > > wonder wether all A136 behave as decribed: almost no effect
      even
      > on a
      > > > square wave; possible bass boost; lack of neutral setting; no
      > > > connection btn. -L/-A and L/A? And, your application for the

    • Tim Stinchcombe
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi Ingo,
        This question of the A-136 has come up several times in the past -
        it is quite a tricky module to get to grips with, and matters aren't
        helped by the manual not being as precise as it could be.

        Check out posts #307 and #1172, but read them carefully! For my money
        it is much easier to understand this module if you have an
        oscilloscope, but Joe (author of #307) proved it was possible with a
        simple meter, a good ear, and lots of patience!

        Tim

        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "ilanode" <techmeier@w...> wrote:

        > Hello list, the A136 is on my mind for long time. Recently I had the
        > chance to toy with it for a while and was wondering on the results:
        > 1) On *any* of the VCO's waveforms it had rather minor impact.
        > 2)Dramtic and great results could be obtained by feeding a more
        > complex signal (= Jomox drum machine) into the module. However, some
        > settings boost the bass which I didn't expect.
        > 3) There was no neutral setting. Eg feeding white noise into the
        > module while all pots set to 0 lead to an obvious loss of high freq.
        > 4) I expected the -L pot being an attentuator for external CV on -A
        > (some for L and A) but they seem to be independent from one another.
        > I've to admit that I have no experience with Distortion devices (let
        > alone Waveshaper) so probably my expectations were mislead. Anyhow, I
        > wonder wether all A136 behave as decribed: almost no effect even on a
        > square wave; possible bass boost; lack of neutral setting; no
        > connection btn. -L/-A and L/A? And, your application for the A136?
        > TIA, Ingo

      • Dieter Doepfer
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
          A lot of our suppliers announced significant price increases or have already
          increased their prices. E.g. the jack sockets are increased by 30%, the
          rotary potentiometer by 25% and the vactrols by 300% (no typing error, the
          price is three times compared to the former price). Most of the price
          increases are caused by the new lead-free/ROHS law (restriction of hazardous
          substances). The price increases for integrated circuits (provided that the
          will be continued ...) and other ROHS compatible electronic parts are
          acceptable (~5% or even less).

          We will have to re-calculate our prices and I expect price increases in the
          5-15% range (depending on the parts used in the module in question). The new
          prices will be valid from January 1st, 2006. For all orders we receive not
          later than December 31th, 2005 the old prices are still valid.

          I'm very sorry about that but we cannot compensate price increases in the
          ranges mentioned above and I expect that other module manufacturers will
          follow soon (as you know we all use e.g. the same Cliff 3,5 mm jack
          sockets).

          But there are also some good news:

          We still have many patch cords from earlier production series in stock. As
          of now (December 1st, 2005) you can get three free cables of your choice
          together with each A-100 module. The cables are available in the same colors
          and lengths as the new cables (for details please refer to A-100
          accessories) but the plugs are a bit different. Only the green 2 m cables
          are not available within this campaign as these were not manufactured
          earlier. The special offer is valid while stocks last.

        • David Salter
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
            Dieter,

            is this campaign only direct or from your distributors as well.

            Rgds

            David

            David Salter
            Senior Project Manager
            Reuters Ltd
            Tel +44 20 7542 2402
            Mob +44 7990562402
            email david.salter@...
            RM david.salter.reuters@...

            ________________________________

[...]

            A100
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=A100&w1=A100&w2=Modular+system&w3=S
            ynthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipment&w6=Guitar+
            synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=7qk4KfDanDiWmDiNwkErZA> Modular system
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Modular+system&w1=A100&w2=Modular+s
            ystem&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipment&
            w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=hHqbBveG60BFBUgxUgOrwQ>
            Synthesizer
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Synthesizer&w1=A100&w2=Modular+syst
            em&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipment&w6=
            Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=TkVI4dZwQYtej5a8axJk6A>
            Electronic payment
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronic+payment&w1=A100&w2=Modul
            ar+system&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipm
            ent&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=A8SEMukXwntRihU64CJcYw>
            Electronic test equipment
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Electronic+test+equipment&w1=A100&w
            2=Modular+system&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test
            +equipment&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=PL6Pwu2HodmGUNuOO8bogQ>
            Guitar synthesizer
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Guitar+synthesizer&w1=A100&w2=Modul
            ar+system&w3=Synthesizer&w4=Electronic+payment&w5=Electronic+test+equipm
            ent&w6=Guitar+synthesizer&c=6&s=126&.sig=3frDmfcEV4WWrJJ1dkws0w>

            Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.

          • Dieter Doepfer
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2005
              With some delay (not to be mixed up with the analog delay module :-) the
              free cables will be available even from our distributors as it is valid for
              new orders only. It's a short-term decision we made just yesterday. For the
              modules that are now in stock at our distributors they don't have these free
              cables available. But we will add some of these cables to the next
              consignments that go to our distributors.

            • David Salter
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                Thanks Dieter

                David Salter
                Senior Project Manager
                Reuters Ltd
                Tel +44 20 7542 2402
                Mob +44 7990562402
                email david.salter@...
                RM david.salter.reuters@...

                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Life without art & music? Keep the arts alive today at Network for Good!
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/rG9bLB/dnQLAA/n1hLAA/QnLolB/TM

                Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.
              • ilanode
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Thanks a lot for any of your responses!
                  @Tim, even though I had an older threat in in mind I was puzzled
                  about the module. You're right: reading the manual makes a
                  difference. However, still the almost non existing effect on any VCO
                  waveforms make me wonder wether this partic. module works as it
                  fellow A136s or not.
                  Unfortunately I didn't gave it no try on CVs. Regards, Ingo
                  (@Ingo thanks for your offer, I'll get back on you later. I've hardly
                  access to net at the moment.)

                  --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Stinchcombe" <timothy@t...>