Re: a112 sound examples

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2005
      hello,

      granular synthesis is roughly based on sampling.
      the sampled material is chopped into very tiny parts,
      called grains. every grain gets an own envelope (to smooth
      the edges), pitch and time information, often also some jitter
      and offset parameters. the fact that every grain can
      play at any time consequently means that more than one
      grain can play back at the same time, which is what a
      monophonic wavetable device like the a112 cannot do.

      with granular synthesis (or better granular resynthesis)
      samples can be vaporized into dense sound clouds,
      when using noise as modulator.

      in the granular resynthesis model pitch and playback speed
      are independent from each other, so other obvious applications
      are time stretching and pitch/formant shifting.

      that is just a very basic explanation, you'll find
      more detailed info on the web for sure.

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, sfrules <sfrules@t...> wrote:
      > Hello?
      >
      > What does "granular synthesis" mean?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > sfrules
    • jenny washburgh
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1, 2005
        Thank you very much.

        Good explanation...and it sounds like fun!

        sfrules
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 24, 2005
          Nice sound examples Ingo!
          Makes me sad that there's no Mac software for this module.
          Otherwise I would buy it for sure.

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 26, 2005
            i have a pc and i have never used that software
            with the a112. i hate sample archiving ;-)

            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, achtung_999