Should Doepfer make a new A-100 sequencer

  • analog1k
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hands up who would like to see a Moog 960 style sequencer
      for the A-100 system. I find the A-155 a bit limited, and
      I'm not too keen on the Maq 16/3.

      What do the rest of you think of this idea, would you buy
      one if Dieter made such a sequencer.
    • ilanode
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hello, you missed one alternative: 2 x A155 + 1 A154 to which other
        modules can be added. That's why I don't see the necessity for another
        seq. by D. On the other hand there are more seq.s in euro rack and
        mini jack format: Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn and their announced
        SL16. Analgogue Systems RS200... Regards, Ingo

        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "analog1k" <analog1k@y...> wrote:
        > Hands up who would like to see a Moog 960 style sequencer
        > for the A-100 system. I find the A-155 a bit limited, and
        > I'm not too keen on the Maq 16/3.
        >
        > What do the rest of you think of this idea, would you buy
        > one if Dieter made such a sequencer.
      • unknown freak
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
          If you need a 960, there's also Synthesizers.com's new 960 clone, together
          with a cloned 962 and a .com-minted gate bus helper module. .com makes very
          good stuff.

          --Chuck

          Hello, you missed one alternative: 2 x A155 + 1 A154 to which other
          modules can be added. That's why I don't see the necessity for another
          seq. by D. On the other hand there are more seq.s in euro rack and
          mini jack format: Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn and their announced
          SL16. Analgogue Systems RS200... Regards, Ingo

          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "analog1k" <analog1k@y...> wrote:
          > Hands up who would like to see a Moog 960 style sequencer
          > for the A-100 system. I find the A-155 a bit limited, and
          > I'm not too keen on the Maq 16/3.
          >
          > What do the rest of you think of this idea, would you buy
          > one if Dieter made such a sequencer.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • analog1k
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
            Yes, I know all about these other sequencers, I have the Oberkorn
            MK-II and the P3 sequencer at the moment, however there is the new
            Synthesizers.com Q960 sequencer though, but a tad expensive.

            I have thought about two A-155's and a A-154, but! no...

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
              well, i doubt that doepfer can make such a sequencer much cheaper
              than .com, so if i would walk in dieter's shoes i wouldn't offer
              such a sequencer. for me it is much more interesting to see
              what the touch-keyboard-sequencer will offer instead of
              having another moog-clone, which is already offered by
              another company.

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "analog1k" <analog1k@y...> wrote:
              > Yes, I know all about these other sequencers, I have the Oberkorn
              > MK-II and the P3 sequencer at the moment, however there is the new
              > Synthesizers.com Q960 sequencer though, but a tad expensive.
              >
              > I have thought about two A-155's and a A-154, but! no...
              >

              > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "ilanode" <techmeier@w...>
              wrote:
              > > Hello, you missed one alternative: 2 x A155 + 1 A154 to which
              other
              > > modules can be added. That's why I don't see the necessity for
              > another
              > > seq. by D. On the other hand there are more seq.s in euro rack
              and
              > > mini jack format: Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn and their
              announced
              > > SL16. Analgogue Systems RS200... Regards, Ingo
              > >
              > > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "analog1k" <analog1k@y...>
              wrote:
              > > > Hands up who would like to see a Moog 960 style sequencer
              > > > for the A-100 system. I find the A-155 a bit limited, and
              > > > I'm not too keen on the Maq 16/3.
              > > >
              > > > What do the rest of you think of this idea, would you buy
              > > > one if Dieter made such a sequencer.
            • synthtrader
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
                hi,

                > well, i doubt that doepfer can make such a sequencer much cheaper
                > than .com, so if i would walk in dieter's shoes i wouldn't offer
                > such a sequencer. for me it is much more interesting to see
                > what the touch-keyboard-sequencer will offer instead of
                > having another moog-clone, which is already offered by
                > another company.

                I agree with this.
                The Dotcom one looks great, judging by the video:
                http://www.unisynth.com/user/Q960%20Short%20demo%201.wmv
                Having owned a Moog modular but never the 960 I'm certainly
                interested in playing with it.
                And one of the things that makes it so great is the interface and
                big knobs. There is no space for that in Eurorack format.

                Thanks,

                Shawn Cleary
                www.analoguehaven.com
              • unknown freak
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
                  Well, technically I guess you could load the 960 clone into .com's rack
                  adapter and it could sit among other eurorack gear, though you also have to
                  house the power supply somewhere. The module is 17" wide.

                  --Chuck

                  > well, i doubt that doepfer can make such a sequencer much cheaper
                  > than .com, so if i would walk in dieter's shoes i wouldn't offer
                  > such a sequencer. for me it is much more interesting to see
                  > what the touch-keyboard-sequencer will offer instead of
                  > having another moog-clone, which is already offered by
                  > another company.

                  I agree with this.
                  The Dotcom one looks great, judging by the video:
                  http://www.unisynth.com/user/Q960%20Short%20demo%201.wmv
                  Having owned a Moog modular but never the 960 I'm certainly
                  interested in playing with it.
                  And one of the things that makes it so great is the interface and
                  big knobs. There is no space for that in Eurorack format.

                  Thanks,

                  Shawn Cleary
                  www.analoguehaven.com
                • Loren Nerell
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
                    > On the other hand there are more seq.s in euro rack and
                    >mini jack format: Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn and their announced
                    >SL16. Analgogue Systems RS200... Regards, Ingo

                    How different is the AS RS200 sequencer from the moog one? They look
                    very similar to me. Personally I'm more interested in seeing the
                    touch plate keyboard/sequencer right now.
                    --
                    Take care.

                    - Loren Nerell

                    http://home.earthlink.net/~lnerell/
                    http://www.soundclick.com/lorennerell
                    http://www.analoguehaven.com/
                  • unknown freak
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
                      They're actually different in some important respects. You can find details
                      on the 960 at moogarchives.com.

                      --Chuck

                      > On the other hand there are more seq.s in euro rack and
                      >mini jack format: Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn and their announced
                      >SL16. Analgogue Systems RS200... Regards, Ingo

                      How different is the AS RS200 sequencer from the moog one? They look
                      very similar to me. Personally I'm more interested in seeing the
                      touch plate keyboard/sequencer right now.
                      --
                      Take care.

                      - Loren Nerell

                      http://home.earthlink.net/~lnerell/
                      http://www.soundclick.com/lorennerell
                      http://www.analoguehaven.com/
                    • Zoran Bosnjak
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
                        Hello everybody,

                        I have just acquired A-154/A-155 combo. First: amazing. What a creative
                        tool. And here are the questions:

                        1. I want to add second sequencer to my system. It has to be analog (no MIDI
                        please). Should I just slap another 155, or buy something else that is going
                        to expand even more?

                        2. How do I transpose the sequence up or down ? (I assume that I patch A-176
                        manual CV to switch, and trigger it when needed by trigger divider)
                        Note: in my system, TR-808 is a master. That gives me 3 x 16 steps to
                        trigger (cowbel, clap, accent). I reset/sync 154 from 808.

                        3. Is there a way to bypass changed reset functionality of 154 ? I prefer
                        155 way, where the reset moves you immediately to step one, and where you do
                        NOT have to wait for next clock signal.

                        Regards,

                        Zoran
                      • ilanode
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
                          Hello Loren, like you and my namesake I'm much more interested in the
                          TKS than in any seq. clone. Regards, Ingo

                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 1, 2005
                            me too.
                            regards,
                            bakis.

                            --- ilanode <techmeier@...> wrote:

                            > Hello Loren, like you and my namesake I'm much more
                            > interested in the
                            > TKS than in any seq. clone. Regards, Ingo
                            >
                            > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Loren Nerell
                            > <lnerell@e...> wrote:
                            > > > On the other hand there are more seq.s in euro
                            > rack and
                            > > >mini jack format: Analogue Solutions' Oberkorn
                            > and their announced
                            > > >SL16. Analgogue Systems RS200... Regards, Ingo
                            > >
                            > > How different is the AS RS200 sequencer from the
                            > moog one? They
                            > look
                            > > very similar to me. Personally I'm more interested
                            > in seeing the
                            > > touch plate keyboard/sequencer right now.
                            > > --
                            > > Take care.
                            > >
                            > > - Loren Nerell

                            > > http://home.earthlink.net/~lnerell/
                            > > http://www.soundclick.com/lorennerell
                            > > http://www.analoguehaven.com/

                            Bakis Siros
                            Parallel Worlds / Polariton
                            Athens-Greece
                            [Doepfer_a100] group owner
                            http://www.shimarecords.co.uk
                            http://www.ward12.com

                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                              Hi Zoran

                              > 1. I want to add second sequencer to my system. It has to be analog (no MIDI
                              > please). Should I just slap another 155, or buy something else that is going
                              > to expand even more?
                              Hmmm, A155 is nice, but SND SAM16 is a real hit (I do not own it, but
                              I'd like to). See http://www.s-n-d.com/sam16e.html.

                              > 2. How do I transpose the sequence up or down ? (I assume that I patch A-176
                              > manual CV to switch, and trigger it when needed by trigger divider)
                              > Note: in my system, TR-808 is a master. That gives me 3 x 16 steps to
                              > trigger (cowbel, clap, accent). I reset/sync 154 from 808.
                              You might use a combi from A160/161 and A165 (for start/stop) to convert
                              the DIN-Sync to suitable signals to control the A154/155.

                              > 3. Is there a way to bypass changed reset functionality of 154 ? I prefer
                              > 155 way, where the reset moves you immediately to step one, and where you do
                              > NOT have to wait for next clock signal.
                              No, you can't. The addressing for the step position comes from the A154,
                              If you would over ride it, you would override all functionality of the A154.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                hello zoran,

                                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Zoran Bosnjak" <dj_allin@h...>
                                wrote:
                                > Hello everybody,
                                >
                                > I have just acquired A-154/A-155 combo. First: amazing. What a
                                creative
                                > tool. And here are the questions:
                                >
                                > 1. I want to add second sequencer to my system. It has to be analog
                                (no MIDI
                                > please). Should I just slap another 155, or buy something else that
                                is going
                                > to expand even more?

                                difficult to say. it depends on the money you want to spend.
                                the a155 is very low in price. if you are satisfied with the
                                a155, why not buy another one? i'm personally pleased with
                                the a155, i have two of them in my system, both linked
                                together with an a154.

                                > 2. How do I transpose the sequence up or down ? (I assume that I
                                patch A-176
                                > manual CV to switch, and trigger it when needed by trigger divider)
                                > Note: in my system, TR-808 is a master. That gives me 3 x 16 steps
                                > trigger (cowbel, clap, accent). I reset/sync 154 from 808.

                                the switch/a176 combination works for sure.
                                i often use the a156 dual quantizer for that. having the
                                sequences quantized to semitones is not a bad thing and the
                                a156 has a common transpose input, which can be used to add
                                the transpose cv easily. of course a simple mixer works too.

                                > 3. Is there a way to bypass changed reset functionality of 154 ? I
                                prefer
                                > 155 way, where the reset moves you immediately to step one, and
                                where you do
                                > NOT have to wait for next clock signal.

                                if i recall right there is a way, but i'm not sure.
                                maybe dieter can shed some light on this?

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                  > > 3. Is there a way to bypass changed reset functionality of 154 ? I
                                  prefer
                                  > > 155 way, where the reset moves you immediately to step one, and
                                  where you do
                                  > > NOT have to wait for next clock signal.
                                  > No, you can't. The addressing for the step position comes from the
                                  A154,
                                  > If you would over ride it, you would override all functionality of
                                  the A154.

                                  ooops, i confused this with the a155 trigger reset modification.
                                  if florian says that is doesn't work, then it doesn't work :-)

                                • Zoran Bosnjak
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                    Thank you Ingo and Florian for the responses. It looks to me that I will
                                    have to acquire my third Doepfer 6U rack eventually. The reason for sudden
                                    expansion: I stopped using computer/Cubase to make music. This completely
                                    hands-on approach makes me feel much better, and forced me stop my endless
                                    overdubbing. Regards,

                                    Zoran

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                      Hi Zoran.

                                      another Idea that comes to my mind, is: get a Roland SH-101. The 101
                                      provides my favourite quick-and-dirty-step-sequencer!

                                      Florian

                                      Zoran Bosnjak wrote:

                                      > Thank you Ingo and Florian for the responses. It looks to me that I will
                                      > have to acquire my third Doepfer 6U rack eventually. The reason for sudden
                                      > expansion: I stopped using computer/Cubase to make music. This completely
                                      > hands-on approach makes me feel much better, and forced me stop my endless
                                      > overdubbing. Regards,
                                      >
                                      > Zoran
                                      >

                                      >>From: "selfoscillate" <synaptic_music@...>
                                      >>To: Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com
                                      >>Subject: [Doepfer_a100] Re: Lot of A-154/A-155 Questions
                                      >>Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:19:37 -0000
                                      >>

                                      >>hello zoran,
                                      >>

                                      >>--- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Zoran Bosnjak" <dj_allin@h...>
                                      >>wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>>Hello everybody,
                                      >>>
                                      >>>I have just acquired A-154/A-155 combo. First: amazing. What a
                                      >>
                                      >>creative
                                      >>
                                      >>>tool. And here are the questions:
                                      >>>
                                      >>>1. I want to add second sequencer to my system. It has to be analog
                                      >>
                                      >>(no MIDI
                                      >>
                                      >>>please). Should I just slap another 155, or buy something else that
                                      >>
                                      >>is going
                                      >>
                                      >>>to expand even more?
                                      >>

                                      >>difficult to say. it depends on the money you want to spend.
                                      >>the a155 is very low in price. if you are satisfied with the
                                      >>a155, why not buy another one? i'm personally pleased with
                                      >>the a155, i have two of them in my system, both linked
                                      >>together with an a154.
                                      >>

                                      >>>2. How do I transpose the sequence up or down ? (I assume that I
                                      >>
                                      >>patch A-176
                                      >>
                                      >>>manual CV to switch, and trigger it when needed by trigger divider)
                                      >>>Note: in my system, TR-808 is a master. That gives me 3 x 16 steps

                                      >>>trigger (cowbel, clap, accent). I reset/sync 154 from 808.
                                      >>

                                      >>the switch/a176 combination works for sure.
                                      >>i often use the a156 dual quantizer for that. having the
                                      >>sequences quantized to semitones is not a bad thing and the
                                      >>a156 has a common transpose input, which can be used to add
                                      >>the transpose cv easily. of course a simple mixer works too.
                                      >>

                                      >>>3. Is there a way to bypass changed reset functionality of 154 ? I
                                      >>
                                      >>prefer
                                      >>
                                      >>>155 way, where the reset moves you immediately to step one, and
                                      >>
                                      >>where you do
                                      >>
                                      >>>NOT have to wait for next clock signal.
                                      >>

                                      >>if i recall right there is a way, but i'm not sure.
                                      >>maybe dieter can shed some light on this?
                                      >>

                                      >>best wishes
                                      >>
                                      >>ingo

                                      Florian Anwander |ConSol
                                      Tel. +49(89)45841-133 |Consulting&Solutions Software GmbH
                                      Fax +49(89)45841-111 |Franziskanerstr. 38, D-81669 München
                                      email: florian.anwander@... |http://www.consol.de
                                    • Zoran Bosnjak
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                        I owned SH-101 that was modified to accept external sync... I sold it cause
                                        I was trying to avoid "acid" sound (well, alternative was to glue resonance
                                        to 0). I think it is one of the best sounding synths ever. Thanks for the
                                        advice,

                                        Zoran

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                          Hi Zoran

                                          > I owned SH-101 that was modified to accept external sync... I sold it cause
                                          > I was trying to avoid "acid" sound (well, alternative was to glue resonance
                                          > to 0). I think it is one of the best sounding synths ever. Thanks for the
                                          > advice,
                                          Its not the sound (which can be done by a lot of other synths tooo); it
                                          is the _sequencer_ which makes this synth so uniq

                                          Florian
                                        • Zoran Bosnjak
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                            Hello,

                                            can somebody confirm if I am right on this: A-152 Voltage Addressed
                                            Track&Hold / Switch can be used with A-155 to provide separate trigger out
                                            on every step (like Moog 960 sequencer, without trigger ins, of course). Is
                                            that correct? Is there any other module that would do this (simple 8-way
                                            switch) ? Regards,

                                            Zoran
                                          • Zoran Bosnjak
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                              To answer my own question:

                                              "Instead of voltage control even clock/reset controlled addressing of the
                                              active step is possible. The rising edge of each clock signal causes an
                                              advance to the next state. "

                                              And:

                                              "The digital output of the currently addressed turns to "high". All other
                                              digital outputs are low. The digital outputs can be used to trigger e.g.
                                              envelope generators or to control the reset input in the clocked mode to
                                              reduce the number of addressed stages."

                                              So hook it up with sequencer to the same clock, and you have independent
                                              trigger on every step.

                                              Regards,

                                              Zoran

                                              >From: "Zoran Bosnjak" <dj_allin@...>
                                              >To: Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: [Doepfer_a100] Easy A-152 Question related to A-155 Sequencer
                                              >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 16:34:11 +0000
                                              >
                                              >Hello,
                                              >
                                              >can somebody confirm if I am right on this: A-152 Voltage Addressed
                                              >Track&Hold / Switch can be used with A-155 to provide separate trigger out
                                              >on every step (like Moog 960 sequencer, without trigger ins, of course). Is
                                              >that correct? Is there any other module that would do this (simple 8-way
                                              >switch) ? Regards,
                                              >
                                              >Zoran

                                            • Zoran Bosnjak
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                                Hi Florian,

                                                the decision has been made, the order has been placed. Instead of getting
                                                the second A-155, I ordered quantizer and A-152 CV switch with 8 stages.
                                                Combined with A-154 and A-155 I have already, I believe I will utilize this
                                                to it's fullest potential.

                                                And my second sequencer ? I will probably do some homework before buying one
                                                ... (Serge comes to mind, and 960 clone from .com)

                                                Regards

                                                Zoran

                                                >From: Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@...>
                                                >To: Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Subject: Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: Lot of A-154/A-155 Questions
                                                >Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:46:59 +0200
                                                >
                                                >Hi Zoran
                                                >
                                                > > I owned SH-101 that was modified to accept external sync... I sold it
                                                >cause
                                                > > I was trying to avoid "acid" sound (well, alternative was to glue
                                                >resonance
                                                > > to 0). I think it is one of the best sounding synths ever. Thanks for
                                                >the
                                                > > advice,
                                                >Its not the sound (which can be done by a lot of other synths tooo); it
                                                >is the _sequencer_ which makes this synth so uniq
                                                >
                                                >Florian
                                              • Zoran Bosnjak
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 2, 2005
                                                  Hello everybody,

                                                  I uploaded two audio files into folder "2 Sequencing Samples" in Doepfer
                                                  group. (groups.yahoo.com)

                                                  "5 steps.wav" shows how nice sequence can be created with only 5 steps, and
                                                  1st/last step feature on 154.

                                                  "uneven steps.WAV" is a short techno sequence in which the steps do not have
                                                  a same length. I did this by using CV controllable LFO, and 155 only. I am
                                                  crazy about this feature - it is all I ever wanted (ok, some other things as
                                                  well).
                                                  Why didn't I use 154 for this? because when I try to do the very same thing
                                                  with A-154 clock, it turns into mess. I suspect that clock BPM jump is
                                                  guilty for that. If it wasn't for 1st/last step feature, I would have
                                                  returned A-154.

                                                  Regards,

                                                  Zoran
                                                • ethanzer0
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
                                                    While the Serge is cool and the .com 960 clone has retro appeal, if you
                                                    are going to spend that much on a sequencer, you should consider the
                                                    Buchla 249e. That things runs circles around any currently available
                                                    sequencer and is less expensive than the serge and not much more than
                                                    the 960/w accesory modules. Buy it with the 225e and you have patch
                                                    storage for all of your sequences.

                                                    Or, the doepfer-ized Milton from EAR

                                                    http://www.ear-group.com/model_21.html

                                                    -E

                                                    > And my second sequencer ? I will probably do some homework before
                                                    > buying one ... (Serge comes to mind, and 960 clone from .com)

                                                  • Dieter Doepfer
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
                                                      The single triggers are available at the 8 center terminals of the
                                                      trigger/gate switches (upper or lower row). You will simply have to add 8
                                                      sockets that are connected to the center terminals e.g. of the upper trigger
                                                      row (via 1k protection resistors to avoid problems with unintentional short
                                                      circuits). One could e.g. use a multiple module A-180 and interrupt the
                                                      connections between the sockets on the pcb and instead of this connect the 8
                                                      sockets to the switch terminals. Another solution would be to remove one row
                                                      of switches and replace the switches by single trigger sockets. But from my
                                                      point of view the trigger row witch switches is more flexible in most cases.

                                                      It's only a mechanical "problem" (where to place the sockets) to add single
                                                      trigger outputs, not an electronical one.

                                                    • n keller
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
                                                        Hey,

                                                        Thanks to Dieter for the suggestion. I have just installed this
                                                        mod/module. I now have the functional equivalent of the A-161 module, so to
                                                        speak, but connected to the A-155. My module is built on a blank 4HP
                                                        faceplate, same Doepfer style sockets, and includes LEDs just like A-161. I
                                                        made a simple circuit board to connect the sockets, leds, resistors, and
                                                        wires. Module disconnects from A-155 easily by 9 pin, male/female connector
                                                        (inside G6, behind modules). Total cost was about $22. Did anyone else try
                                                        this?

                                                        nk