Doepfer-based analog e-drums?

  • Stuart McConaghy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hello all,

      excuse the slightly cryptic title, but I've never been good at email
      titles stretching beyond "Hi there!" ;)

      I've been wanting to put together a system which would essentially be
      an up-to-date version of the Simmons SDS V electronic drum brain, which
      was an analog brain dating to the early 1980s. You've all heard it,
      used by Thomas Dolby, Talk Talk and that one Naked Eyes song everybody
      knows. I'm looking at the Doepfer modules, and, while proficient with
      virtual synths, I look at them and scratch my head - where to start?

      Basically, here's what I'm wanting to put together:
      8 - 9 individual sound generators, consisting of:
      1 bass drum module
      1 snare drum module
      3 tom modules
      1 clap module
      1 cymbal sound module
      and 1 hi-hat module - probably two, since a closed and open sound would
      need to be generated.
      Of course there would need to be some kind of mixer bring it all
      together, outputs, some sort of trigger input to receive signals from
      piezo-sensors built into pads, and some way to use a footpedal, like a
      keyboard sustain pedal or similar, to switch between open and closed
      hi-hat sounds.

      So, anyway, here's the question to you experts: Has anyone here built a
      Doepfer system specifically for the task of generating drum sounds?
      What modules would you guys recommend for this purpose, and how
      feasible is it to think this could have a small footprint (ok, not as
      small as a Simmons module, but manageable in regard to rack size)?

      I know, I'm crazy, but it sure beats trying to track down an original
      SDS V, and would most likely be more reliable and serviceable (i.e.
      available replacement parts and the like)

      Cheers!

      Stuart McConaghy
    • Brandon Daniel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
        Stuart McConaghy said:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > excuse the slightly cryptic title, but I've never been good at email
        > titles stretching beyond "Hi there!" ;)
        >
        > I've been wanting to put together a system which would essentially be
        > an up-to-date version of the Simmons SDS V electronic drum brain, which
        > was an analog brain dating to the early 1980s. You've all heard it,
        > used by Thomas Dolby, Talk Talk and that one Naked Eyes song everybody
        > knows. I'm looking at the Doepfer modules, and, while proficient with
        > virtual synths, I look at them and scratch my head - where to start?

        Are you familiar with the Analogue Solutions Concussor line of modules?
        They're drum modules in doepfer format...

        http://www.analoguesolutions.co.uk/

        -Brandon

        _______________________________________
        /|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\
        || Eat your greens, especially broccoli |
        || And always say "thank you" |||||||||||
        || Especially for broccoli ||||||||||||||
        \|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/
        ---------------------------------------
      • Andrew Ison
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2005
          Nope,but many years ago i did build a Syntom.

          This i put together whilst at work,in between the manufacture of Studiomaster mixer channels on a wave soldering machine that insisted on flowing molten lead over the boards,there was a lot of reworking to be done...

          Details on the web are sketchy and i lost it after the guy who borrowed it lent it to someone else,my Amiga Sampler was also lost similarly.

          Here is Edgar with a related DIY product.

          http://www.bigbluewave.co.uk/synclock.htm

        • Stuart McConaghy
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2005
            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Brandon Daniel" <bdu@f...> wrote:

            > Stuart McConaghy said:
            > > Hello all,
            > >
            > > excuse the slightly cryptic title, but I've never been good at email
            > > titles stretching beyond "Hi there!" ;)
            > >
            > > I've been wanting to put together a system which would essentially be
            > > an up-to-date version of the Simmons SDS V electronic drum brain, which
            > > was an analog brain dating to the early 1980s. You've all heard it,
            > > used by Thomas Dolby, Talk Talk and that one Naked Eyes song everybody
            > > knows. I'm looking at the Doepfer modules, and, while proficient with
            > > virtual synths, I look at them and scratch my head - where to start?
            >
            > Are you familiar with the Analogue Solutions Concussor line of modules?
            > They're drum modules in doepfer format...
            >
            > http://www.analoguesolutions.co.uk/
            >
            > -Brandon

            I actually wasn't aware of those - thanks Brandon!

            Stuart McConaghy