RE: [Doepfer_a100] Is the A-129 vocoder usable with fewer than all six modules?

  • unknown freak
    Message 1 of 20 , May 10, 2005
      You should be fine with the voiced/unvoiced and analysis/synthesis modules.
      It isn't that the others aren't nice to have, but it won't hurt you not to
      have them.

      --Chuck

      Message 2 of 20 , May 10, 2005
        I had an a129 1/2 and sold it because i didn't find it interesting.

        Almost 2 years later, i though id give it another go, and bought the analysis/synthesis modules, one slew limiter, the slew
        controller and the voiced unvoiced detector.

        I plugged it all together and started grinning.

        I don't use the vocoder for speech - more often drum processing. Id leave out the voiced / unvoiced detector, but certainly get the
        slew module(s).

        Remember you don'ts need all three slew modules. Yes, if you're wanting to use all the bands, but i get very nice results out of
        mine just using 5 bands at a time. Remember, its modular (stating the obvious ; ) and swapping about the bands makes a lot of
        difference. 15 maybe would be better then 5, but i use my synth in a very 'hands on' real time way, and i think, possibly, the
        extra 2 module (10 bands) would confuse things more then theyd be of benefit.

        So, in my situation, id say no to just the 1/2 module, and yes to the 1/2 plus slew controller and one slew module.

        My opinion only,

        Cheers, Julian
      • Julian
        Message 3 of 20 , May 10, 2005
          > You should be fine with the voiced/unvoiced and analysis/synthesis modules.
          > It isn't that the others aren't nice to have, but it won't hurt you not to
          > have them.

          Haha... Almost entirly the opposit of what i just said ; )

          Oh well, thats what you get for asking opinions *g*

          julian
          Message 4 of 20 , May 10, 2005
            hello gustaf,

            my choice for a starter vocoder would be

            1x a129/1
            1x a129/2
            1x a129/3

            in my opinion the voiced/unvoiced module can
            be omitted in most cases. the slew limiter module a129/3
            is cool because you'll probably want to attenuate
            a few bands (i want that all the time) and for that
            you don't need the slew controller module.

            later you should consider adding another two a129/3 and
            the a129/4 controller, the a129/5 being the final addition.

            a long time ago i owned a svc350 and i sold it for the
            a129 vocoder. the doepfer vocoder has a very clean sound
            compared with the svc350. the svc350 is not very versatile
            soundwise because it has a strong character.
            the a129 is a lot more neutral and therefore you can
            use it for a wider variety of sounds.

            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974" <gustaf@p...> wrote:
            > hello,
            > I'm thinking about getting the vocoder modules.
            >
            > A full vocoder is six modules,
            > A-129/1 + A-129/2 and 3 of A-129/3 slew limiters with A-129/4 slew
            > controller and A-129/5 voiced/unvoiced detector.
            >
            > But, it is quite expensive and takes up more than half of a G6...
            >
            > So, does any other configurations make sense?
            > Can I use the vocoder without the slew limiters?
            > Without the voiced/unvoiced?
            >
            > Does anyone on the list use the vocoder without all six modules?
            > Can you make anything useful out of just the A-129/1 analysis and A-
            > 129/2 synthesis section?
            >
            > My experience with analog vocoders are the Roland SVC-350 and the
            > Korg VC-10. (besides som virtual analog and software that i usually
            > find boring).
            >
            > How would you compare the Doepfer vocoder system to the SVC-350?
            >
            > Thankful for any buying tips from a-129 users!
            >
            > /gustaf
          • Bryan E Cornell
            Message 5 of 20 , May 10, 2005
              I've got the full A-129 and I find that the slew limiters really add to the intelligibilty of speech. I've never tried it with fewer than the full 15 bands, but I have noticed that there are typically some bands that are much more important to add slew limiting to. I'll have to get scientific about this. You probably could get by without all three A-129-3 modules. You will definitely need a A-129-4, however, because it's what makes the A-129-3 work.

              Bryan

              >>> julian@... 05/10/05 10:41 AM >>>
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              To visit your group on the web, go to:
            • pela_gius
              Message 6 of 20 , May 10, 2005
                I have just the analysis/synthesis sections and love them. But I use
                them as a general filter and never make robot voices. It's a lot of
                fun to experiment with running different sources into the two sides,
                mixing up the bands or plugging a bunch of different cv sources into
                the synthesis section.
              • gargar1974
                Message 7 of 20 , May 10, 2005
                  Thanks for the answers everyone.
                  Opinions differ a bit... but good to know that a smaller start is
                  usable.
                  I guess I'll start with analysis/synthesis and one slew module as
                  you are suggesting.

                  /gustaf

                  --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "selfoscillate"
                  <synaptic_music@y...> wrote:

                  > hello gustaf,
                  >
                  > my choice for a starter vocoder would be
                  >
                  > 1x a129/1
                  > 1x a129/2
                  > 1x a129/3
                  >
                  > in my opinion the voiced/unvoiced module can
                  > be omitted in most cases. the slew limiter module a129/3
                  > is cool because you'll probably want to attenuate
                  > a few bands (i want that all the time) and for that
                  > you don't need the slew controller module.
                  >
                  > later you should consider adding another two a129/3 and
                  > the a129/4 controller, the a129/5 being the final addition.
                  >
                  > a long time ago i owned a svc350 and i sold it for the
                  > a129 vocoder. the doepfer vocoder has a very clean sound
                  > compared with the svc350. the svc350 is not very versatile
                  > soundwise because it has a strong character.
                  > the a129 is a lot more neutral and therefore you can
                  > use it for a wider variety of sounds.
                  >
                  > best wishes
                  >
                  > ingo
                  >

                  > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974" <gustaf@p...>
                  wrote:
                  > > hello,
                  > > I'm thinking about getting the vocoder modules.
                  > >
                  > > A full vocoder is six modules,
                  > > A-129/1 + A-129/2 and 3 of A-129/3 slew limiters with A-129/4
                  slew
                  > > controller and A-129/5 voiced/unvoiced detector.
                  > >
                  > > But, it is quite expensive and takes up more than half of a G6...
                  > >
                  > > So, does any other configurations make sense?
                  > > Can I use the vocoder without the slew limiters?
                  > > Without the voiced/unvoiced?
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone on the list use the vocoder without all six modules?
                  > > Can you make anything useful out of just the A-129/1 analysis
                  and A-
                  > > 129/2 synthesis section?
                  > >
                  > > My experience with analog vocoders are the Roland SVC-350 and
                  the
                  > > Korg VC-10. (besides som virtual analog and software that i
                  usually
                  > > find boring).
                  > >
                  > > How would you compare the Doepfer vocoder system to the SVC-350?
                  > >
                  > > Thankful for any buying tips from a-129 users!
                  > >
                  > > /gustaf
                • fabio delben
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 11, 2005
                    Hello,
                    I have had many vocoders in the past, Sennheiser, EMS, Synton. I prefer the MAM and the SVC350 against the Doepfer.
                    Ciao
                    Fabio

                    Message 9 of 20 , May 11, 2005
                      Hi fabio

                      > I have had many vocoders in the past, Sennheiser, EMS, Synton.
                      > I prefer the MAM and the SVC350 against the Doepfer.
                      I know the SVC350 quite well (I serviced two of them, and modified one). It differs a lot from the basic A129. Most essential thing is, that it provides an internal simple compressor function and an EQ for the analysis chain (both are with fixed parameters and not accesible from out side). If you treat your analysis signal with an compressor, deesser, EQ, and maybe a noise gate, you will achieve much better results with the A129 than with the SVC350. Compressors can be done also with Doepfer modules, but I think it is much easier to use a simple standard compressor like alesis or behringer.

                      Florian
                    • gargar1974
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
                        <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                        >Compressors can be done also with Doepfer modules, but I think it is
                        >much easier to use a simple standard compressor like alesis or
                        >behringer.

                        Hi Florian,
                        Just out of curiosity,
                        How would you set up a compressor with A-100 modules?
                        (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                        I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                        /gustaf
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974" <gustaf@p...> wrote:
                          > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
                          > <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                          > >Compressors can be done also with Doepfer modules, but I think it is
                          > >much easier to use a simple standard compressor like alesis or
                          > >behringer.
                          >
                          > Hi Florian,
                          > Just out of curiosity,
                          > How would you set up a compressor with A-100 modules?
                          > (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                          > I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                          > /gustaf

                          i believe that there was a picture of the compressor patch in
                          the files section, but it seems to be not there anymore.
                          same applies to a vocoder patch that i've uploaded months ago.
                          maybe bakis has deleted them to make room for the patching contest.

                          by the way, please upload your patching contest files, it seems
                          that only tomek and i have contributed mp3's so far.

                          don't be so lazy, ya all ;-)

                        • denis goekdag
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                            (in theory it should be something like this:)
                            pass the audio through a VCA with gain set to max. In parallel, pass
                            the signal through a A119. Take the Env output, invert+offset it (so
                            that instead of going from 0 to 5V it goes from 0 to -5V) and patch it
                            into the CV in of the VCA. The CV attenuator will be the "compression
                            amount". You may want to insert a slew limiter before the CV-in to get
                            control over "attack" and "release" of the compressor.

                            *should* work, untested.

                            cheers,

                            Message 13 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                              Hi Gustav

                              > Hi Florian,
                              > Just out of curiosity,
                              > How would you set up a compressor with A-100 modules?
                              > (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                              > I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                              > /gustaf
                              In my book there is a picture... <insert evil Dollars-in-the-eyes grin>

                              No it is quite simple:

                              External input Env-Out -> inverter -> VCA with offsetvoltage
                              The modulation amount of the inverted signal envelope to the VCA is the
                              "Ratio" of a compressor.

                              If you want "attack" or "release" (in the nameing of a compressor),
                              simply add a slewrate limiter after the Env-Follower.

                              There is no "Threshold" in this construction. It is possible but much
                              more difficult to do.

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                                i found florians file in my backup folder and i have re-uploaded
                                it to the files section of this group.

                                the file name is variable_limiter.jpg

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                                  hello all,
                                  i have moved some patch pictures from the files to the
                                  photos section some time ago. maybe it is there?
                                  bakis.

                                  --- selfoscillate <synaptic_music@...> wrote:
                                  > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974"
                                  > <gustaf@p...> wrote:
                                  > > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian
                                  > Anwander
                                  > > <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                                  > > >Compressors can be done also with Doepfer
                                  > modules, but I think it is
                                  > > >much easier to use a simple standard compressor
                                  > like alesis or
                                  > > >behringer.
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi Florian,
                                  > > Just out of curiosity,
                                  > > How would you set up a compressor with A-100
                                  > modules?
                                  > > (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                                  > > I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                                  > > /gustaf
                                  >
                                  > i believe that there was a picture of the compressor
                                  > patch in
                                  > the files section, but it seems to be not there
                                  > anymore.
                                  > same applies to a vocoder patch that i've uploaded
                                  > months ago.
                                  > maybe bakis has deleted them to make room for the
                                  > patching contest.
                                  >
                                  > by the way, please upload your patching contest
                                  > files, it seems
                                  > that only tomek and i have contributed mp3's so far.
                                  >
                                  > don't be so lazy, ya all ;-)
                                  >
                                  > best wishes
                                  >
                                  > ingo

                                  Bakis Siros
                                  Parallel Worlds / Polariton
                                  Athens-Greece
                                  [Doepfer_a100] group owner
                                  http://www.shimarecords.co.uk
                                  http://www.ward12.com

                                  Discover Yahoo!
                                  http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                    hello bakis,

                                    i haven't found them in the photos section.
                                    but thats no problem, i can upload the files again,
                                    if anybody wants them. yes, backups are a good thing :-)

                                    --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Bakis Sirros

                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                      Hi Ingo

                                      selfoscillate wrote:
                                      > i found florians file in my backup folder and i have re-uploaded
                                      > it to the files section of this group.
                                      > the file name is variable_limiter.jpg
                                      I do not know who was drawing this (its not from me). There are two
                                      superflous modules in: the A176 and the A138 are not required.
                                      Simply connect the A170 output to the CV2-In of the VCA. The gain of the
                                      VCA should be set to 10.

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                        <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                                        > Hi Ingo
                                        >
                                        > selfoscillate wrote:
                                        > > i found florians file in my backup folder and i have re-uploaded
                                        > > it to the files section of this group.
                                        > > the file name is variable_limiter.jpg
                                        > I do not know who was drawing this (its not from me). There are two
                                        > superflous modules in: the A176 and the A138 are not required.
                                        > Simply connect the A170 output to the CV2-In of the VCA. The gain
                                        of the
                                        > VCA should be set to 10.
                                        >
                                        > Florian

                                        hello florian,

                                        uuups, sorry. i thought it was done by you.
                                        never mind ;-)

                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                          oh my, maybe i went blind.
                                          i found the files, they are indeed in
                                          the photos section.
                                          the folder is named:
                                          a100 module suggestion and settings pics

                                          i'll remove the recently uploaded variable_limiter.jpg.