Is the A-129 vocoder usable with fewer than all six modules?

  • gargar1974
    Message 1 of 20 , May 10, 2005
      hello,
      I'm thinking about getting the vocoder modules.

      A full vocoder is six modules,
      A-129/1 + A-129/2 and 3 of A-129/3 slew limiters with A-129/4 slew
      controller and A-129/5 voiced/unvoiced detector.

      But, it is quite expensive and takes up more than half of a G6...

      So, does any other configurations make sense?
      Can I use the vocoder without the slew limiters?
      Without the voiced/unvoiced?

      Does anyone on the list use the vocoder without all six modules?
      Can you make anything useful out of just the A-129/1 analysis and A-
      129/2 synthesis section?

      My experience with analog vocoders are the Roland SVC-350 and the
      Korg VC-10. (besides som virtual analog and software that i usually
      find boring).

      How would you compare the Doepfer vocoder system to the SVC-350?

      Thankful for any buying tips from a-129 users!

      /gustaf
    • unknown freak
      Message 2 of 20 , May 10, 2005
        You should be fine with the voiced/unvoiced and analysis/synthesis modules.
        It isn't that the others aren't nice to have, but it won't hurt you not to
        have them.

        --Chuck

        Message 3 of 20 , May 10, 2005
          I had an a129 1/2 and sold it because i didn't find it interesting.

          Almost 2 years later, i though id give it another go, and bought the analysis/synthesis modules, one slew limiter, the slew
          controller and the voiced unvoiced detector.

          I plugged it all together and started grinning.

          I don't use the vocoder for speech - more often drum processing. Id leave out the voiced / unvoiced detector, but certainly get the
          slew module(s).

          Remember you don'ts need all three slew modules. Yes, if you're wanting to use all the bands, but i get very nice results out of
          mine just using 5 bands at a time. Remember, its modular (stating the obvious ; ) and swapping about the bands makes a lot of
          difference. 15 maybe would be better then 5, but i use my synth in a very 'hands on' real time way, and i think, possibly, the
          extra 2 module (10 bands) would confuse things more then theyd be of benefit.

          So, in my situation, id say no to just the 1/2 module, and yes to the 1/2 plus slew controller and one slew module.

          My opinion only,

          Cheers, Julian
        • Julian
          Message 4 of 20 , May 10, 2005
            > You should be fine with the voiced/unvoiced and analysis/synthesis modules.
            > It isn't that the others aren't nice to have, but it won't hurt you not to
            > have them.

            Haha... Almost entirly the opposit of what i just said ; )

            Oh well, thats what you get for asking opinions *g*

            julian
            Message 5 of 20 , May 10, 2005
              hello gustaf,

              my choice for a starter vocoder would be

              1x a129/1
              1x a129/2
              1x a129/3

              in my opinion the voiced/unvoiced module can
              be omitted in most cases. the slew limiter module a129/3
              is cool because you'll probably want to attenuate
              a few bands (i want that all the time) and for that
              you don't need the slew controller module.

              later you should consider adding another two a129/3 and
              the a129/4 controller, the a129/5 being the final addition.

              a long time ago i owned a svc350 and i sold it for the
              a129 vocoder. the doepfer vocoder has a very clean sound
              compared with the svc350. the svc350 is not very versatile
              soundwise because it has a strong character.
              the a129 is a lot more neutral and therefore you can
              use it for a wider variety of sounds.

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974" <gustaf@p...> wrote:
              > hello,
              > I'm thinking about getting the vocoder modules.
              >
              > A full vocoder is six modules,
              > A-129/1 + A-129/2 and 3 of A-129/3 slew limiters with A-129/4 slew
              > controller and A-129/5 voiced/unvoiced detector.
              >
              > But, it is quite expensive and takes up more than half of a G6...
              >
              > So, does any other configurations make sense?
              > Can I use the vocoder without the slew limiters?
              > Without the voiced/unvoiced?
              >
              > Does anyone on the list use the vocoder without all six modules?
              > Can you make anything useful out of just the A-129/1 analysis and A-
              > 129/2 synthesis section?
              >
              > My experience with analog vocoders are the Roland SVC-350 and the
              > Korg VC-10. (besides som virtual analog and software that i usually
              > find boring).
              >
              > How would you compare the Doepfer vocoder system to the SVC-350?
              >
              > Thankful for any buying tips from a-129 users!
              >
              > /gustaf
            • Bryan E Cornell
              Message 6 of 20 , May 10, 2005
                I've got the full A-129 and I find that the slew limiters really add to the intelligibilty of speech. I've never tried it with fewer than the full 15 bands, but I have noticed that there are typically some bands that are much more important to add slew limiting to. I'll have to get scientific about this. You probably could get by without all three A-129-3 modules. You will definitely need a A-129-4, however, because it's what makes the A-129-3 work.

                Bryan

                >>> julian@... 05/10/05 10:41 AM >>>
[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                To visit your group on the web, go to:
              • pela_gius
                Message 7 of 20 , May 10, 2005
                  I have just the analysis/synthesis sections and love them. But I use
                  them as a general filter and never make robot voices. It's a lot of
                  fun to experiment with running different sources into the two sides,
                  mixing up the bands or plugging a bunch of different cv sources into
                  the synthesis section.
                • gargar1974
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 10, 2005
                    Thanks for the answers everyone.
                    Opinions differ a bit... but good to know that a smaller start is
                    usable.
                    I guess I'll start with analysis/synthesis and one slew module as
                    you are suggesting.

                    /gustaf

                    --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "selfoscillate"
                    <synaptic_music@y...> wrote:

                    > hello gustaf,
                    >
                    > my choice for a starter vocoder would be
                    >
                    > 1x a129/1
                    > 1x a129/2
                    > 1x a129/3
                    >
                    > in my opinion the voiced/unvoiced module can
                    > be omitted in most cases. the slew limiter module a129/3
                    > is cool because you'll probably want to attenuate
                    > a few bands (i want that all the time) and for that
                    > you don't need the slew controller module.
                    >
                    > later you should consider adding another two a129/3 and
                    > the a129/4 controller, the a129/5 being the final addition.
                    >
                    > a long time ago i owned a svc350 and i sold it for the
                    > a129 vocoder. the doepfer vocoder has a very clean sound
                    > compared with the svc350. the svc350 is not very versatile
                    > soundwise because it has a strong character.
                    > the a129 is a lot more neutral and therefore you can
                    > use it for a wider variety of sounds.
                    >
                    > best wishes
                    >
                    > ingo
                    >

                    > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974" <gustaf@p...>
                    wrote:
                    > > hello,
                    > > I'm thinking about getting the vocoder modules.
                    > >
                    > > A full vocoder is six modules,
                    > > A-129/1 + A-129/2 and 3 of A-129/3 slew limiters with A-129/4
                    slew
                    > > controller and A-129/5 voiced/unvoiced detector.
                    > >
                    > > But, it is quite expensive and takes up more than half of a G6...
                    > >
                    > > So, does any other configurations make sense?
                    > > Can I use the vocoder without the slew limiters?
                    > > Without the voiced/unvoiced?
                    > >
                    > > Does anyone on the list use the vocoder without all six modules?
                    > > Can you make anything useful out of just the A-129/1 analysis
                    and A-
                    > > 129/2 synthesis section?
                    > >
                    > > My experience with analog vocoders are the Roland SVC-350 and
                    the
                    > > Korg VC-10. (besides som virtual analog and software that i
                    usually
                    > > find boring).
                    > >
                    > > How would you compare the Doepfer vocoder system to the SVC-350?
                    > >
                    > > Thankful for any buying tips from a-129 users!
                    > >
                    > > /gustaf
                  • fabio delben
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 11, 2005
                      Hello,
                      I have had many vocoders in the past, Sennheiser, EMS, Synton. I prefer the MAM and the SVC350 against the Doepfer.
                      Ciao
                      Fabio

                      Message 10 of 20 , May 11, 2005
                        Hi fabio

                        > I have had many vocoders in the past, Sennheiser, EMS, Synton.
                        > I prefer the MAM and the SVC350 against the Doepfer.
                        I know the SVC350 quite well (I serviced two of them, and modified one). It differs a lot from the basic A129. Most essential thing is, that it provides an internal simple compressor function and an EQ for the analysis chain (both are with fixed parameters and not accesible from out side). If you treat your analysis signal with an compressor, deesser, EQ, and maybe a noise gate, you will achieve much better results with the A129 than with the SVC350. Compressors can be done also with Doepfer modules, but I think it is much easier to use a simple standard compressor like alesis or behringer.

                        Florian
                      • gargar1974
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
                          <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                          >Compressors can be done also with Doepfer modules, but I think it is
                          >much easier to use a simple standard compressor like alesis or
                          >behringer.

                          Hi Florian,
                          Just out of curiosity,
                          How would you set up a compressor with A-100 modules?
                          (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                          I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                          /gustaf
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974" <gustaf@p...> wrote:
                            > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander
                            > <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                            > >Compressors can be done also with Doepfer modules, but I think it is
                            > >much easier to use a simple standard compressor like alesis or
                            > >behringer.
                            >
                            > Hi Florian,
                            > Just out of curiosity,
                            > How would you set up a compressor with A-100 modules?
                            > (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                            > I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                            > /gustaf

                            i believe that there was a picture of the compressor patch in
                            the files section, but it seems to be not there anymore.
                            same applies to a vocoder patch that i've uploaded months ago.
                            maybe bakis has deleted them to make room for the patching contest.

                            by the way, please upload your patching contest files, it seems
                            that only tomek and i have contributed mp3's so far.

                            don't be so lazy, ya all ;-)

                          • denis goekdag
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                              (in theory it should be something like this:)
                              pass the audio through a VCA with gain set to max. In parallel, pass
                              the signal through a A119. Take the Env output, invert+offset it (so
                              that instead of going from 0 to 5V it goes from 0 to -5V) and patch it
                              into the CV in of the VCA. The CV attenuator will be the "compression
                              amount". You may want to insert a slew limiter before the CV-in to get
                              control over "attack" and "release" of the compressor.

                              *should* work, untested.

                              cheers,

                              Message 14 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                                Hi Gustav

                                > Hi Florian,
                                > Just out of curiosity,
                                > How would you set up a compressor with A-100 modules?
                                > (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                                > I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                                > /gustaf
                                In my book there is a picture... <insert evil Dollars-in-the-eyes grin>

                                No it is quite simple:

                                External input Env-Out -> inverter -> VCA with offsetvoltage
                                The modulation amount of the inverted signal envelope to the VCA is the
                                "Ratio" of a compressor.

                                If you want "attack" or "release" (in the nameing of a compressor),
                                simply add a slewrate limiter after the Env-Follower.

                                There is no "Threshold" in this construction. It is possible but much
                                more difficult to do.

                                Message 15 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                                  i found florians file in my backup folder and i have re-uploaded
                                  it to the files section of this group.

                                  the file name is variable_limiter.jpg

                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 12, 2005
                                    hello all,
                                    i have moved some patch pictures from the files to the
                                    photos section some time ago. maybe it is there?
                                    bakis.

                                    --- selfoscillate <synaptic_music@...> wrote:
                                    > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "gargar1974"
                                    > <gustaf@p...> wrote:
                                    > > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian
                                    > Anwander
                                    > > <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                                    > > >Compressors can be done also with Doepfer
                                    > modules, but I think it is
                                    > > >much easier to use a simple standard compressor
                                    > like alesis or
                                    > > >behringer.
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Florian,
                                    > > Just out of curiosity,
                                    > > How would you set up a compressor with A-100
                                    > modules?
                                    > > (Not just to use with vocoder, but generally.)
                                    > > I suspect you need a couple of VCAs but how?
                                    > > /gustaf
                                    >
                                    > i believe that there was a picture of the compressor
                                    > patch in
                                    > the files section, but it seems to be not there
                                    > anymore.
                                    > same applies to a vocoder patch that i've uploaded
                                    > months ago.
                                    > maybe bakis has deleted them to make room for the
                                    > patching contest.
                                    >
                                    > by the way, please upload your patching contest
                                    > files, it seems
                                    > that only tomek and i have contributed mp3's so far.
                                    >
                                    > don't be so lazy, ya all ;-)
                                    >
                                    > best wishes
                                    >
                                    > ingo

                                    Bakis Siros
                                    Parallel Worlds / Polariton
                                    Athens-Greece
                                    [Doepfer_a100] group owner
                                    http://www.shimarecords.co.uk
                                    http://www.ward12.com

                                    Discover Yahoo!
                                    http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                      hello bakis,

                                      i haven't found them in the photos section.
                                      but thats no problem, i can upload the files again,
                                      if anybody wants them. yes, backups are a good thing :-)

                                      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Bakis Sirros

                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                        Hi Ingo

                                        selfoscillate wrote:
                                        > i found florians file in my backup folder and i have re-uploaded
                                        > it to the files section of this group.
                                        > the file name is variable_limiter.jpg
                                        I do not know who was drawing this (its not from me). There are two
                                        superflous modules in: the A176 and the A138 are not required.
                                        Simply connect the A170 output to the CV2-In of the VCA. The gain of the
                                        VCA should be set to 10.

                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                          <Florian.Anwander@c...> wrote:
                                          > Hi Ingo
                                          >
                                          > selfoscillate wrote:
                                          > > i found florians file in my backup folder and i have re-uploaded
                                          > > it to the files section of this group.
                                          > > the file name is variable_limiter.jpg
                                          > I do not know who was drawing this (its not from me). There are two
                                          > superflous modules in: the A176 and the A138 are not required.
                                          > Simply connect the A170 output to the CV2-In of the VCA. The gain
                                          of the
                                          > VCA should be set to 10.
                                          >
                                          > Florian

                                          hello florian,

                                          uuups, sorry. i thought it was done by you.
                                          never mind ;-)

                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 13, 2005
                                            oh my, maybe i went blind.
                                            i found the files, they are indeed in
                                            the photos section.
                                            the folder is named:
                                            a100 module suggestion and settings pics

                                            i'll remove the recently uploaded variable_limiter.jpg.