Re: [Doepfer_a100] (A-109) -> Improvement of my english ;-)

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7 12:34 AM
      Hello John

      >>The A-130 resp. A-131
      > Somewhat off topic - but what does "resp." mean in this context? It's
      > used throughout the English translation of the .pdf manuals. Probably a
      > goofy question - but I've been curious about it.
      Sorry, this is a "germanism". I looked up dict.leo.org and found that I
      should have written: "A-130 and A-131 respectively". In German you do
      not say "X and Y respectively", but simply "X respektive Y".

      Could I say "X or rather Y" ?

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 7 12:41 AM
        hello florian,
        thanks for the explanation. i had this question for
        many years! now i understand why i never figured out
        what the "X resp. Y" meant.
        bakis.

        --- Florian Anwander <Florian.Anwander@...>
        wrote:
        > Hello John
        >
        > >>The A-130 resp. A-131
        > > Somewhat off topic - but what does "resp." mean in
        > this context? It's
        > > used throughout the English translation of the
        > .pdf manuals. Probably a
        > > goofy question - but I've been curious about it.
        > Sorry, this is a "germanism". I looked up
        > dict.leo.org and found that I
        > should have written: "A-130 and A-131 respectively".
        > In German you do
        > not say "X and Y respectively", but simply "X
        > respektive Y".
        >
        > Could I say "X or rather Y" ?
        >
        > Florian

        Bakis Siros
        Parallel Worlds / Polariton
        Athens-Greece
        [Doepfer_a100] group owner
        http://www.shimarecords.co.uk
        http://www.ward12.com

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • synthtrader
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 7 1:43 AM
          hello,

          << I read so many posts about A-109 that were saying "this module is
          good for starters, you get decent filter, VCA, and panner."
          [snip] So, two conclusions: A-109 filter is more than "just decent",
          it's actually very good. >>

          I think the description of 'decent', 'generic', 'vanilla' or whatever
          other words were used by myself and/or others describe more the
          feature set as opposed to the way it sounds.

          Thanks,

          Shawn Cleary
          www.analoguehaven.com
        • jkn@johei.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7 5:51 AM

            > Hello John
            >
            >>>The A-130 resp. A-131
            >> Somewhat off topic - but what does "resp." mean in this context? It's
            >> used throughout the English translation of the .pdf manuals. Probably
            >> goofy question - but I've been curious about it.
            > Sorry, this is a "germanism". I looked up dict.leo.org and found that I
            > should have written: "A-130 and A-131 respectively". In German you do
            > not say "X and Y respectively", but simply "X respektive Y".
            >
            > Could I say "X or rather Y" ?
            >
            > Florian

            Thank you! Now it makes complete sense. I'd assumed that's what it
            meant, but I couldn't quite work it out and I'd pause and think about it
            when I saw it in the manuals. I think in English the "X and Y
            respectively" would be common if you're referring to something like
            "Linear and Exponential on X and Y respectively". On the other hand - no
            reason to change the way you're writing it, this is extremely minor - I'm
            just grateful it's translated into English at all since I can't speak/read
            German!

            Speaking of the .pdf manuals - they are wonderful resources. Especially
            being able to read them before purchasing. I've printed out the majority
            of them for researching which modules will go into my system. Thanks to
            everyone involved with writing (and translating) them.

            John K-N
          • andreasnoa
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 19 12:07 PM
              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Zoran Bosnjak" <dj_allin@h...>
              wrote:
              > Oops, Waldorf pole is not orange, it is blue, right ?
              >
              > Zoran

              Yes, it's dark blue, same coated paint as used on the Waldorf Pulse.
              The full name is "Waldorf miniWORKS 4pole".
              I can only agree to earlier comments about how good it sounds.

              Further, I'm trying to add Filter Cutoff and Resonance CV Inputs to
              mine, which should be a nice addition to the A100 system I'll be
              getting soon. It's based on a CEM 3387 (2x 2pole Lowpass, 4x VCA),
              so that should be fairly easy to do.

              Cheers,

              Andreas

              P.S.: I'm new to this group, so a big Hello to you all :D

              > >From: "Zoran Bosnjak" <dj_allin@h...>
              > >To: Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: RE: [Doepfer_a100] Re: A-109 Improvement
              > >Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:07:28 +0000
              > >

              > >Thanks for the excellent response Ingo. Everybody reading this
              post, please
              > >notice that after all, it is only my perception that by bypassing
              VCA
              > >entirely in my bass patch, the A-109 filter got its character
              improved by
              > >getting slighly smoother, almost liquidy quality. Almost like VCA
              was
              > >holding it back - now its more even (smooth). When I am saying
              more even,
              > >imagine curve of the sound as being curved (obvious), but no dents
              in the
              > >line. With VCA, it is almost like curve is dented, uneven, with
              slight
              > >changes in volume. I did the test by opening the AMP knob on A-109
              > >completely. I could even hear slight noise (but negligible, and
              remember
              > >that's with AMP knob open full, and no envelope applied).
              > >What manfacturers do with their chip/filter application is still
              mystery to
              > >me. This is my third encounter with the same chip - I also have
              Microwave
              > >I,
              > >and I used to own Waldorf pole filter (forgot the name, that small
              orange
              > >thing). And that Waldorf standalone filter unit sounded
              unbelievable
              > >(smoothness and acid of 303 if needed, but with different, almost
              Moog
              > >character. Almost like subtle reverb was applied to it). I sold it
              because
              > >it was slow to edit, due to its menu system, and guess what: it
              was
              > >sticking
              > >out too much in the mix (beauty is curse sometimes :-) But this
              Waldorf
              > >experience made me buy A-109, and I KNEW there was that beautifull
              > >character
              > >hidden somewhere (behind VCA :-)
              > >
              > >But your post is eye-opening Ingo. I will look for other
              implementations
              > >where A-109 VCA can contribute to character, and not take away.
              And it's
              > >just unbelievable how little detail can contribute lot to sound,
              > >
              > >Regards,
              > >
              > >Zoran
              > >

              > > >From: "selfoscillate" <synaptic_music@y...>
              > > >To: Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com
              > > >Subject: [Doepfer_a100] Re: A-109 Improvement
              > > >Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 13:47:53 -0000
              > > >

              > > >hello zoran,
              > > >
              > > >well, i don't think that the vca is low quality,
              > > >it just has a different response curve. the vca-part
              > > >of the a109 has a clear sound with low distortion
              > > >and low noise, so it can't be named low quality.
              > > >low quality usually means that the vca is noisy.
              > > >the response curve of the a109 vca is partly linear
              > > >and partly exponential, depending on the amount
              > > >of voltage applied to the vca circuit via the cv inputs
              > > >and/or the gain pot. this is a somewhat different behaviour
              > > >than on the other vca's and probably what you don't like,
              > > >especially when you use an envelope or lfo to open the vca,
              > > >instead of using a fixed voltage.
              > > >
              > > >also it seems to be a question of personal taste.
              > > >some like the cem-based vca's, others prefer the ca3080-based
              > > >or even the vactrol-based vca's, which have a completely
              > > >different response curve. my opinion is that each type
              > > >of vca has it's advantages, you just have to find the
              > > >right application for it.
              > > >
              > > >best wishes
              > > >
              > > >ingo
              > > >

              > > >--- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Zoran Bosnjak"
              <dj_allin@h...>

              > > >good for
              > > >what I
              > > >the part
              > > >smooth -
              > > >that was not

              > > >envelope), and
              > > >A-109
              Moog.
              > > >Still
              > > >filter,

              > > >actually
              > > >VCA, that
              VCA on
              > > >your
              > > >(or

            • Zoran Bosnjak
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 19 5:01 PM
                Oh man... Why didn't I know this before selling mine ?