Fwd: A-143-1/2/3(important doepfer announcement!)

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2004
      --- Dieter Doepfer <hardware@...> wrote:

      > From: "Dieter Doepfer" <hardware@...>
      > To: "Bakis Sirros" <synth_freak_2000@...>
      > Subject: A-143-1/2/3
      > Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 08:51:09 +0100
      >
      > Please forward:
      >
      > Subject: A-143-1/2/3 modules
      >
      > We received some complaints that the lowest sub-unit
      > of some A-143-1/2/3
      > modules does not work. We found the reason for this
      > error: Some wires of the
      > electronic parts (resistors, capacitors,
      > potentiometers and so on) may be
      > too long and establish a short circuit with the
      > lower rail of the A-100
      > frame (which is grounded). Unfortunately this was
      > not recognized during the
      > final tests as these are carried out outside the
      > frame to avoid prints of
      > the screws on the front panels. For the prototypes
      > this error did not occur.
      >
      > As of now (December 07, 2004) we check all
      > A-143-1/2/3 before shipment and
      > shorten the corresponding long wires.
      >
      > If you received one of these modules there are 3
      > solutions:
      >
      > 1. You send it back to us or the
      > representative/dealer and we or the
      > representative/dealer cuts the wires
      > 2. You shorten the wires of the unpowered (!!!)
      > module with an electronic
      > knife (required only for the wires in the area of
      > the bottom rail)
      > 3. You glue an insulating self-adhesive tape to the
      > bottom rail in the area
      > of the A-143 module
      >
      > (items 2 and 3 may be applied both to be on the safe
      > side)
      >
      > Sorry for any troubles.
      >
      > Dieter Doepfer

      =====
      Bakis Siros
      Parallel Worlds / Polariton
      Athens-Greece
      [Doepfer_a100] group owner
      http://www.shimarecords.co.uk
      http://www.ward12.com

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 2004
        Hi

        >>3. You glue an insulating self-adhesive tape to the
        >>bottom rail in the area
        >>of the A-143 module
        I seldom argue against Dieter ;-) but my experience from restaurating
        old synths says: NEVER use an adhesive tape on electronic pcbs or cables!

        Though it may take some time (a year or longer), the ingredients of the
        glue will start to dissolve plastics or similar synthetic materials.
        Especially capacitors are really endagered.

        Also surface leakage currents may occur after a certain time, because
        the glue collects dust, and the dust collects humidity...

        If I really need to insulate pcbs or similar against housings I use
        simply paper.

        Florian
      • Andrew Ison
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2004
          I too had a module with issues like this,i began with several layers insulating tape applied to the pcb,which i found less than satisfactory.

          Next i applied several layers to the rack frame under the pcb,this i also found haunting,what if the spiky bits penetrate and connect?

          In the end i found a ready solution from my work which involved the use of printers blanket,this is a tough and long lasting rubber/fabric/adhesive laminate and works flawlessly.

          Other issues i have encountered were from another manufacturer where a rotary switch when the module was installed was shorting to the rack frame,this required moving some components of the front of the board and placing them underneath so i could reposition the the switch.

          As luck would have it aluminium holes can be enlarged in the direction that is necessary with a craft knife and a skimming action.

        • James Husted
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2004
            In america, a thick, non-conductive paper is commonly used for this.
            For some odd reason it called "fish paper". The stuff we used to use at
            an pro-audio manufacturer I once worked for was stiff, had a almost
            plastic feel about it (sort of like a Fedex envelope) and blue in
            color. Worked great cause the resistor leads could not poke through
            cause it was so tough. And it was non-conductive of course.
            James Husted
            The ErsatZ Planet Graphics and Sound
            www.ersatzplanet.com
            james@...