Re: A-137 Wave Multiplier

  • Pierre Zeeman
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
      Olivier,

      >The reason I am a bit suspicious with the Wave Multiplier is, that I
      >have made not too good experiences with other Waveshapers. ... all my
      >Waveshapers
      >so far were boring.

      While one person's extreme can easily be another's not extreme enough, on my
      limited experience with it so far I have created some pretty dramatic sounds
      that I would struggle to create (if I even could) with other modules / gear.
      Yet it is capable of sounds of considerable delicacy as well. And it can
      go from subtle to quite the opposite with a lot of control between those two
      points.

      Pierre

      Ensure smooth online surfing with MSN Toolbar!
      http://toolbar.msn.co.za?DI=1054&XAPID=2083
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hi Olivier

        > The reason I am a bit suspicious with the Wave Multiplier is, that I
        > have made not too good experiences with other Waveshapers. I have a
        > dual Waveshaper in my Technosaurus Selector and this one is sooo
        > subtle. Subtle can be good or really boring. Well, all my Waveshapers
        > so far were boring. (I also have the Oakley Wavefolder). On the other
        > hand, all the Serge I know told me that the one of the greatest Serge
        > Module ever was the Multipliers.
        I own the A-116 Waveform Processor too, and the comparison between then
        A116 and the A137 is like between normal Hardsync and the sounds you can
        create with a PLL.

        Florian
      • mritenburg
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
          > I own the A-116 Waveform Processor too, and the comparison between
          > A116 and the A137 is like between normal Hardsync and the sounds
          > you can create with a PLL.
          >
          > Florian

          I don't mean to talk bad on the A-116, but, I never found a musical
          application for it other than *slight* timbre modification. If
          anybody has some super sexy examples of how to use the A-116 to it's
          full potential, please share!

          Matthew
        • omegaattraktor
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
            > I don't mean to talk bad on the A-116, but, I never found a
            musical
            > application for it other than *slight* timbre modification. If
            > anybody has some super sexy examples of how to use the A-116 to
            it's
            > full potential, please share!
            >
            > Matthew

            one thing i like to do with the a116 is to modulate the clipping
            level or the symetry in the audio range. this can sound quite weird
            maybe similar to ringmod.

            oliver
            http://www.namshub.ch/
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
              Hi Matthew

              > application for it other than *slight* timbre modification. If
              > anybody has some super sexy examples of how to use the A-116 to it's
              > full potential, please share!
              I use the A116 is a "normal" Fuzz-Box with extended parameters. So my
              three main usages are:

              The boring old TB303-Fuzzbox-thing:
              VCO-> envelope modulated VCF with lot of resonance -> A116 -> VCA ....

              Polyphonic sources->A116, -> produce guitar fuzz like sounds.

              Dynamic Guitar distortion:
              Guitar -> Envelopefollower -> A116

              The voltage control I use less with LFOs or envelopes, but most times
              from CVs which are derived from Midi controls from a MIDI sequencer (in
              the sense of a mixer automation): Instead making a simple crescendo I
              increase the distortion.
              Velocity control of the distortion can be nice too (see also the guitar
              example).