Re: A-137 Wave Multiplier

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2004
      > The reason I am a bit suspicious with the Wave Multiplier is, that
      > have made not too good experiences with other Waveshapers. I have a
      > dual Waveshaper in my Technosaurus Selector and this one is sooo
      > subtle. Subtle can be good or really boring. Well, all my
      Waveshapers
      > so far were boring. (I also have the Oakley Wavefolder). On the
      other
      > hand, all the Serge I know told me that the one of the greatest
      Serge
      > Module ever was the Multipliers.
      >
      > Thanks all the others for their answers.
      > Olivier

      hello olivier,

      i'll post an audio example of the a137 in action soon,
      someday this week.

    • Pierre Zeeman
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
        Olivier,

        >The reason I am a bit suspicious with the Wave Multiplier is, that I
        >have made not too good experiences with other Waveshapers. ... all my
        >Waveshapers
        >so far were boring.

        While one person's extreme can easily be another's not extreme enough, on my
        limited experience with it so far I have created some pretty dramatic sounds
        that I would struggle to create (if I even could) with other modules / gear.
        Yet it is capable of sounds of considerable delicacy as well. And it can
        go from subtle to quite the opposite with a lot of control between those two
        points.

        Pierre

        Ensure smooth online surfing with MSN Toolbar!
        http://toolbar.msn.co.za?DI=1054&XAPID=2083
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
          Hi Olivier

          > The reason I am a bit suspicious with the Wave Multiplier is, that I
          > have made not too good experiences with other Waveshapers. I have a
          > dual Waveshaper in my Technosaurus Selector and this one is sooo
          > subtle. Subtle can be good or really boring. Well, all my Waveshapers
          > so far were boring. (I also have the Oakley Wavefolder). On the other
          > hand, all the Serge I know told me that the one of the greatest Serge
          > Module ever was the Multipliers.
          I own the A-116 Waveform Processor too, and the comparison between then
          A116 and the A137 is like between normal Hardsync and the sounds you can
          create with a PLL.

          Florian
        • mritenburg
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2004
            > I own the A-116 Waveform Processor too, and the comparison between
            > A116 and the A137 is like between normal Hardsync and the sounds
            > you can create with a PLL.
            >
            > Florian

            I don't mean to talk bad on the A-116, but, I never found a musical
            application for it other than *slight* timbre modification. If
            anybody has some super sexy examples of how to use the A-116 to it's
            full potential, please share!

            Matthew
          • omegaattraktor
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
              > I don't mean to talk bad on the A-116, but, I never found a
              musical
              > application for it other than *slight* timbre modification. If
              > anybody has some super sexy examples of how to use the A-116 to
              it's
              > full potential, please share!
              >
              > Matthew

              one thing i like to do with the a116 is to modulate the clipping
              level or the symetry in the audio range. this can sound quite weird
              maybe similar to ringmod.

              oliver
              http://www.namshub.ch/
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2004
                Hi Matthew

                > application for it other than *slight* timbre modification. If
                > anybody has some super sexy examples of how to use the A-116 to it's
                > full potential, please share!
                I use the A116 is a "normal" Fuzz-Box with extended parameters. So my
                three main usages are:

                The boring old TB303-Fuzzbox-thing:
                VCO-> envelope modulated VCF with lot of resonance -> A116 -> VCA ....

                Polyphonic sources->A116, -> produce guitar fuzz like sounds.

                Dynamic Guitar distortion:
                Guitar -> Envelopefollower -> A116

                The voltage control I use less with LFOs or envelopes, but most times
                from CVs which are derived from Midi controls from a MIDI sequencer (in
                the sense of a mixer automation): Instead making a simple crescendo I
                increase the distortion.
                Velocity control of the distortion can be nice too (see also the guitar
                example).