a107 low-level issue.

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2004
      hello list,
      in the first production batch of the a107, the a107
      module had two resistors(R88,R86) with a different
      value than the final and current production batch.
      these two resistors(one of them in the vcf and the
      other in the vca section,i think) resulted in a
      low-level output of the a107. in fact my low level
      a107 sounded much weaker than my new, revisioned
      a107's. the revisioned a107 can sound warm and harsh
      depending on the vcf input settings. but, the early
      a107 could only sound harsh because you had to set the
      vcf input to about 8 or more for the output level to
      be in a normal level
      so, it is totaly recommended to send your a107 back to
      doepfer for the two resistors replacement, for free of
      course.
      here are roland mayer exact words:
      "we have changed the value of two resistors because of
      the low level,
      maybe that you have one of the first series.
      Please check if:

      R88=470k
      R86=22k"

      ok,i don't know if roland means that the resistors
      should be 470k, and 22k for the correct a107
      operation, or that these resistors should NOT be 470,
      22k for the correct operation,(probably the first
      asumption is the right one), but you can ask roland
      mayer direct.

      here is a quick way to check if you have the
      revisioned a107 or the early one:
      with no vcf input signal and the vcf frequency knob at
      10 and the vca gain knob at 10(open vca) the a107
      should output a quite noticable hum. this is the
      REVISIONED a107 with the loud and correct output.
      if you hear no noise/hum coming from the a107 in this
      test, then you have the old a107 version.
      so, you can send the a107 to doepfer for the revision
      to be performed or to your country's doepfer
      distributer.
      but for DIYers it is easy to replace the two resistors
      by yourself. dieter told me that they will publish the
      correct resitors values in their DIY page soon.
      bakis.

      =====
      Bakis Siros
      Parallel Worlds / Polariton