Re: Doepfer Vocoders

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi Zahir

      I'll answer this private question also to the mailling list, since I
      think it is of general interest.

      > I read your post about using additional modules to get a better
      > vocoder sound. Can you give me an example of what a perfect system
      > would be and how it would be patched?

      Mic-PreAmp

      +----------------------------+
      | |
      EQ Highpass
      | |
      + - - - - - - -+ |
      | | |
      Compressor Carrier |
      | | (Synth) |
      Noisegate<- - -+ | |
      | | |
      Analysis-Chain==>Synthesis |
      | |
      | |
      Mixer

      Out

      The "EQ" should be an normal three band EQ in your mixing console.

      As "Highpass" I use the A123. I tune that way, that only a whisper of
      the original signal can be heard; this whisper is added to the vocoded
      sound instead of a voice/unvoiced detection.

      As Compressor and Noisegate I use external devices, but it is possible
      to build them with A119 (Envelopefollower), A175 (Inverter), A170 (Dual
      Slewlimiter) and A130 (linear VCA). The sidechain control of the
      noisegate is optional and would require an additional group of
      A119/A120/A130 as separate noisegates.