Re: Vintage Vocoders vs. Doepfer

    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2004
      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Kika LaCroix <kikalacroix@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi to all (again)!
      >
      > Starter question No. 2:
      > How does the Doepfer Vocoder compare to the "classics"
      > such as Moog, EMS etc?
      > (Primilary soundwise, because I think the different
      > operation facilities like patchboard make it difficult
      > to compare them at this level).
      > Greetings
      > Kika

      the doepfer vocoder is one of my favorites.
      it sounds cleaner than the old vintage one's and
      in my opinion this is an advantage. compared to
      a roland or electro-harmonix vocoder, the doepfer
      can be used for a much wider range of sounds.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2004
        Hi Tom

        > [...] and though the
        > Doepfer doesn't sound as "present" as the Synton, [...]
        The problem for a comparison is, that there is no "Doepfer Vocoder", but
        some modules, that provide vocoder functions for the complete modular
        system. If you include other modules (e.g. Highpassfilter for better
        unvoiced signal handling; Mixers, ExtInput, VCA, Inverter for
        compression;...) and if you include the knowhow how to use them for
        vocoder orientated usage, you will get a vocoder which is beating the
        most of the vintage vocoders. If you only look at the 129x modules, some
        vintage devices may look better.