greasy filters

  • primatetom2003
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
      hi guys and gals(?)-
      i'm seriously considering getting a portable a100.
      i want two filters. i do experimental stuff. i don't need "phat"
      or "smooth." i want greasy, dirty and lots of charactor. i'd like
      them to self oscillate.

      tips, opinions, reviews of the a100 filters would be much obliged.
      btw, how much rack space does the portable suitcase have? i know
      there's less room cause of the power supply. i don't have excel,
      can't open the spreadsheet, so i have to do the math the old
      fashioned way.

      thanks for your advice)
    • jmaddocks1975
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
        Hi there,
        From your description I would definetly recommend the 'a124 wasp
        filter' very dirty sound, I haven't heard doepfer's ms20 filter yet
        but they are normally dirty sounding filters (Asolutions is a nice
        one). Also not heard the new-ish filters so can't comment on them.

        Would recommend you get a136 distortion, placed either before or
        after the filter makes a nice effect.

        John

        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "primatetom2003"

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
          hello,
          the portable a100 case is a 6U rack.if you need two
          greasy filters with character,then get the a124 wasp
          filter and the a102 diode lowpass filter.but the a108
          is an 8 stage moog ladder filter but can be also
          overdriven to give you really dirty sounds.
          bakis.

          wrote:
          > hi guys and gals(?)-
          > i'm seriously considering getting a portable a100.
          > i want two filters. i do experimental stuff. i
          > don't need "phat"
          > or "smooth." i want greasy, dirty and lots of
          > charactor. i'd like
          > them to self oscillate.
          >
          > tips, opinions, reviews of the a100 filters would be
          > much obliged.
          > btw, how much rack space does the portable suitcase
          > have? i know
          > there's less room cause of the power supply. i
          > don't have excel,
          > can't open the spreadsheet, so i have to do the math
          > the old
          > fashioned way.
          >
          > thanks for your advice)

          =====
          Bakis Sirros
          Parallel Worlds / Polariton
          Athens-Greece
          [Doepfer_a100] group owner
          http://www.rubber.gr
          http://www.ward12.com

        • shm1400
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
            As to your question about the space in the portable case, the case
            has two 84hp rows, but the bottom row contains an 8hp module that
            contains a power inlet and switch. So, you end up with 1 84 hp row,
            and one 76 hp row.
            I currently use a couple of portable cases, but I really hate the
            switch/power inlet module. (Sorry Mr. Doepfer) So, I have replaced
            it with a combination switch/power inlet that I have mounted on the
            side of one of the cases. That same case also has an outlet on the
            back and the other case has an unswitched inlet on the back. That
            way, I don't have power cords sticking out of the front of the case,
            and I can switch both on and off from one switch.

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
              hello,

              for a greasy filter i would normally recommend the wasp filter
              a124, but you cannot drive it into self oscillation.
              so i would point you to the a108 48db filter or the
              a102 diode filter. the a102 got a strong self oscillation, but
              the exact sound also depends on the cutoff frequency, so it
              is a bit difficult to handle sometimes. if you are looking
              for deep bass drones through self oscillation, you can also
              take a look at the a105 ssm filter.

              the portable suitcase rack is 8 hp smaller on the lower row,
              because of the power switch etc.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "jmaddocks1975"
                <jmaddocks1975@y...> wrote:
                > Hi there,
                > From your description I would definetly recommend the 'a124 wasp
                > filter' very dirty sound, I haven't heard doepfer's ms20 filter yet
                > but they are normally dirty sounding filters (Asolutions is a nice
                > one). Also not heard the new-ish filters so can't comment on them.
                >
                > Would recommend you get a136 distortion, placed either before or
                > after the filter makes a nice effect.
                >
                > John

                hello john,

                i think that doepfer hasn't started developing the ms20 filter yet.
                but i agree that the analogue solutions filter sy02 is a nice one.
                it can sound fat and dirty, and it is of course able to produce
                heavy self oscillation.