Filters: subjective opinion required

  • Mark Deal
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2001
      I'm looking to spoil myself rotten for my birthday and buy some new modules.

      Amongst other things, I'm considering an A122 low pass VCF (Curtis chip
      based) and a A123 high pass filter.

      Is the A122 worth having? Clearly the sound is going to be substantially
      different from a transistor ladder based design, but does it sound GOOD? I
      tend not to use large amounts of resonance in my music, so if this filter
      excels at resonant sounds but is pretty characterless otherwise I'm not
      particularly interested.

      I already have a Multimode filter, but am also interested in a dedicated
      high pass filter, but only if it offers me something sonically different.
      How does the A123 perform? I find the multimode to be quite 'lumpy'... It
      doesn't take much to tip it into self-oscillation. Is this filter smoother?

      Comments appreciated!
      Mark
    • Funkyboost@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2001
        no idea i just have a multi like you...
        but i am interested in the opinions of people on this list

      • lexter_b2000@yahoo.fr
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 4, 2001
          hello
          i have 124 and 120. 124 has got very particular sound compared to
          120. it doesnt self oscillates though, but it sounds quite warm and
          has got bizarre behavior sometimes when you are putting the fq around
          5. 120 seems just OK, has got 3 cv in which is quite good.
          bye
        • Rhen, Kris
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2001
            I have the WASP filter and love it. It has a unique buzzy resonance
            character. The controls are unique to (Lo/Hi mix) - wish it had more CV
            points though - may mod it someday :-)
            KRIS

            > > hello
            > > i have 124 and 120. 124 has got very particular
            > > sound compared to
            > > 120. it doesnt self oscillates though, but it sounds
            > > quite warm and
            > > has got bizarre behavior sometimes when you are
            > > putting the fq around
            > > 5. 120 seems just OK, has got 3 cv in which is quite
            > > good.
            > > bye
            > >
            > > hello!
            > i have a120,a121 and a123.so,i can tell you that the
            > a121 sounds quite different from the a120(but that you
            > already know,right?).as for the a123 high pass,it
            > sounds good and rather different from the a120(it's
            > 24db).if it's worth the money?i think yes.(espesialy
            > if you want to create a 24db bandpass filter)
            > BUT,what i'm really looking forward to,is to buy the
            > EMS filter,the WASP filter and the trautonium
            > filter!!!and of course the a105/a108 module...
            > synthfreak
            > athens,greece

          • bakis S
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5, 2001

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • lexter_b2000@yahoo.fr
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2001
                hi.
                has anyone got A113 already?
                also any of you playing system with more than 2 VCO? and with lots of
                FM in audio range?
                ciao
                Paris - france
              • maex@firstfloor.org
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 12, 2001
                  hi.

                  i have a question,.

                  is there any possibility to get out of this 110vco, sinewaves down to 1hz?
                  does anyone knew something about a manipulation of some range adjustments
                  or resistors or somethink like that, or is it absolute undoable ...???

                  thanks...
                  best maex
                • bakis S
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 13, 2001
                    --- maex@... wrote:

                    > hi.
                    >
                    > i have a question,.
                    >
                    > is there any possibility to get out of this 110vco,
                    > sinewaves down to 1hz?
                    > does anyone knew something about a manipulation of
                    > some range adjustments
                    > or resistors or somethink like that, or is it
                    > absolute undoable ...???
                    >
                    > thanks...
                    > best maex
                    >
                    > hi!
                    sorry maex,i'm not into modifications.i like my a110's
                    the way they are(and i don't know how to do these
                    mods!!)if you want a 1hz sine wave you can always use
                    the lfo's...(that doesn't help...i know.)

                  • bgerkes@mac.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 22, 2001
                      Hi there,

                      Just joined this list. I ordered an A-100 and hopefully it will arrive
                      soon :-)

                      I live in the Netherlands (any other Dutch people here?) and make
                      synthmusic a la old TD, Schulze, Jarre.

                      Other synths I use: Waldorf Q (VA), Waldorf XT (wavetablesynth),
                      Emulator E4 keyboard (sampler/synth) and Jomox Xbase 09 (analogue
                      drummachine).

                      Regards, Boele Gerkes

                      Something Completely Different
                      http://www.mp3.com/scd
                    • hens@gmx.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 23, 2001
                        --- In Doepfer_a100@y..., bgerkes@m... wrote:

                        > Just joined this list. I ordered an A-100 and hopefully it will
                        > arrive soon :-)

                        If you've ordered it with The Music House (and you probably have),
                        you will get the best service. They're simply great.
                        Did you get a system with an A190 (MIDI/CV)? I simply love it.
                        Currently I'm using the ribbon controller of my Korg Triton as
                        a CV, using the A190 "learn MIDI" feature. Awsum!

                        > I live in the Netherlands (any other Dutch people here?)

                        Yep, I'm from Groningen. I have an A100 system with the A190
                        MIDI/CV interface for some months now, and planning to buy
                        some more modules some time soon. Definitely want one of those
                        A119's and an A136. I'm not sure about other modules. I do have
                        a software emulation of an Oberheim-ish SVF filter which I enjoy
                        very much, so I'm hoping the A122 has similar characteristics.
                        If it does, I definitely want to add it to my system as well.

                        > and make
                        > synthmusic a la old TD, Schulze, Jarre.

                        I'm very much into breaks kinda music... Andrea Parker etc.

                        > Other synths I use: Waldorf Q (VA), Waldorf XT (wavetablesynth),
                        > Emulator E4 keyboard (sampler/synth) and Jomox Xbase 09 (analogue
                        > drummachine).

                        Cool stuff. I also have a Korg Triton with the EXB-MOSS ("Z1")
                        fitted, a Roland MC505 GrooveBox, Alesis MasterLink and AirFX
                        and some other stuffs, but most of the recording and sampling
                        happens on my PC, using FruityLoops most of the times. Vaz Modular
                        too, and SimSynth.

                        All the best,

                        Hens Zimmerman
                      • Boele Gerkes
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 23, 2001
                          hens@... wrote:

                          > > Just joined this list. I ordered an A-100 and hopefully it will
                          > > arrive soon :-)
                          >
                          > If you've ordered it with The Music House (and you probably have),
                          > you will get the best service. They're simply great.

                          I did. That Martijn who is running the business is someone with a
                          "heart" for synthesizers, that's for sure. Nice people!

                          > Did you get a system with an A190 (MIDI/CV)? I simply love it.
                          > Currently I'm using the ribbon controller of my Korg Triton as
                          > a CV, using the A190 "learn MIDI" feature. Awsum!

                          Yes, it will come with the A190. "learn MIDI" feature? He didn't tell me
                          about that. Explain please. The little booklet about it says nothing of it...

                          > > I live in the Netherlands (any other Dutch people here?)
                          >
                          > Yep, I'm from Groningen. I have an A100 system with the A190
                          > MIDI/CV interface for some months now, and planning to buy
                          > some more modules some time soon. Definitely want one of those
                          > A119's and an A136.

                          A119. Are you gonna sing through it? Haha. The possibilities are endless...

                          I first have to get used to it, then I am SURE a lot of modules will follow...
                          I really would like to build a system with more voices and someday one
                          of the bigger sequencers from Doepfer.

                          I'm not sure about other modules. I do have
                          > a software emulation of an Oberheim-ish SVF filter which I enjoy
                          > very much, so I'm hoping the A122 has similar characteristics.
                          > If it does, I definitely want to add it to my system as well.

                          Sofware-emulation? What program?

                          > > and make
                          > > synthmusic a la old TD, Schulze, Jarre.
                          >
                          > I'm very much into breaks kinda music... Andrea Parker etc.

                          I don't know her... Sorry :-)

                          > Cool stuff. I also have a Korg Triton with the EXB-MOSS ("Z1")
                          > fitted, a Roland MC505 GrooveBox, Alesis MasterLink and AirFX
                          > and some other stuffs, but most of the recording and sampling
                          > happens on my PC, using FruityLoops most of the times. Vaz Modular
                          > too, and SimSynth.

                          Mmm... more modern stuff then me. It's good that there is variaty in
                          these kind of things? I personally am not a great fan of working with
                          the computer considering making music. I tried Reason but I didn't like
                          it, though it sounds OK. It's just the userinterface that ticks me off...

                          Do you have music online btw? Using the Doepfer of course? Or anyone
                          else on this list?

                          And is the Doepfer userforum on there page also available as mail?

                          Anyway, I don't sleep to well the last days... Waiting.... I hate it... :-)

                          Regards, Boele

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 23, 2001
                            --- bgerkes@... wrote:
                            > Hi there,
                            >
                            > Just joined this list. I ordered an A-100 and
                            > hopefully it will arrive
                            > soon :-)
                            >
                            > I live in the Netherlands (any other Dutch people
                            > here?) and make
                            > synthmusic a la old TD, Schulze, Jarre.
                            >
                            > Other synths I use: Waldorf Q (VA), Waldorf XT
                            > (wavetablesynth),
                            > Emulator E4 keyboard (sampler/synth) and Jomox Xbase
                            > 09 (analogue
                            > drummachine).
                            >
                            > Regards, Boele Gerkes
                            >
                            > Something Completely Different
                            > http://www.mp3.com/scd
                            >
                            > hi boele!
                            i am synthfreak from athens.i must say that i really
                            LOVE old tangerine dream and klaus schulze music!!!i
                            will send my equipment list and favorite albums in
                            another email latter.(i also LOVE my doepfer
                            modular,of course!!!)
                            synthfreak
                            athens-greece

                            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                          • hens@gmx.net
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 24, 2001
                              --- Boele Gerkes wrote:

                              > Yes, it will come with the A190. "learn MIDI" feature? He didn't
                              > tell me about that. Explain please.

                              Ah, you'll get the binder with all the info you need with
                              your A100 basic system. But I'll explain anyway. Basically, you
                              can change an A190 parameter by sending the appropriate MIDI
                              message to it. The coolest application of this is CV2, where you
                              can attach any MIDI-controller to it. So if I want to use the
                              joystick of my synthesizer to control CV2, I put the A190 in
                              MIDI learn mode, move the joystick... et voila, joystick now
                              controls CV2. Then you can do just about anything with it, like
                              control pitch or filter cut-off, etc. But also crazy stuffs, like
                              if you want to control the A170 (slew limiter) rise time using
                              your synthesizer's cutoff-wheel, no problemo. Simply let the A190
                              learn to use that particular MIDI CC# (which means: put the A190
                              in learn mode and rotate the cutoff-wheel) and wire the CV2 of
                              the A190 to the A170 rise CV input. Oh joy!

                              > A119. Are you gonna sing through it? Haha. The possibilities
                              > are endless...

                              Much agreed. One of the things I especially like is the concept
                              of an envelope follower. The most common application is of course
                              an auto wah, but using an A119 you can use the generated envelope
                              for anything, so not just only filter cut off (like an autowah).

                              > Sofware-emulation? What program?

                              It's called SimSynth.
                              (http://www.fruityloops.com has a demo download)

                              > I don't know her... Sorry :-)

                              Slightly dark but extremely beautiful music. Also see:

                              http://www.theprimalscream.com/andreaparker/

                              She uses the Roland TR808 and ARP 2600 + Odyssey a lot.

                              > Mmm... more modern stuff then me. It's good that there is
                              > variaty in these kind of things?

                              I guess so. The most important thing is to really learn to
                              use the machine(s) that you have.

                              > Do you have music online btw? Using the Doepfer of course?

                              I do have some stuffs online, but nothing Doepfer-ish yet.
                              A lot of digital editing. I won't bore you with it.
                              If you search for my name on the www, you'll stumble over it.

                              > Anyway, I don't sleep to well the last days... Waiting....
                              > I hate it... :-)

                              But you'll love owning a real modular system!

                              All the best,

                              Hens