Surround mxing on A100

  • Andreas Lindholm
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2003
      I have jsut started making my own dvd-movies and could help looking into
      surround encoding. And I realized that I dont' have a mixer nor any synth
      capabable of surround mixing. But my A100 could be expanded with VCAs, LFOs
      and some logicmodules and panners to make it into the DVD age! Has anybody
      tried this, what modules and setup do you use?

      The beauty of modularity - to expand into future formats at will!
    • davevosh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2003
        In a message dated 5/1/2003 6:52:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        andreas.k.lindholm@... writes:

        > looking into
        > surround encoding.

        andreas,
        sorry, i can`t help about the issue of "encoding" but you might try putting
        some tracks on a dvd and checking the playback. my normal monitoring system
        ( stereo in / 5x1 out ) is a jbl pro-logic surround sound system an, from
        what i was told, phase relationships are what this keys on. well, most synth
        modifications affect the phase relationship of the signal and i`ve found that
        i get a fair amount of "depth" and "motion" during normal monitoring of the
        synth. hope this is of some help !
        best,
        dave

        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2003
          Hi Andreas

          > I have jsut started making my own dvd-movies and could help looking into
          > surround encoding. And I realized that I dont' have a mixer nor any synth
          > capabable of surround mixing. But my A100 could be expanded with VCAs, LFOs
          > and some logicmodules and panners to make it into the DVD age! Has anybody
          > tried this, what modules and setup do you use?
          Encoding is something different from multichannel output. Encoding means:
          transport a more than2channelsSignal on 2 channels of a stereo recording.
          This would be assumingly quite costy and complicated on a A100.

          The other story is dynamically positioning a mono signal on four or more
          channels. I did this with my Nord Modular, which has 4 outputs. For a mono
          signal you need simply three panners:
          1.) Front <-> Rear
          2.) L-Front <-> R-Front
          3.) L_Rear <-> R-Rear

          for circling a signal around, you need one LFO, that has phase shifted
          outputs (the A-191 Sheppard Function might be able to do this - I don't own
          one) or several synchronised LFOs, whose output could be phaseshifted
          individually (the Nordmodulars LFOs can do this).

          Something that might be VERY interesting and intuitive is: control the
          front rear / left right positions with two Theremin controlers.

          Florian
        • Andreas Lindholm
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2003
            Helps? None at all actually ;) I have total control over the surround
            encoding if from a five sample source. So that is not the issue. But the
            synths need to be able to ouptput five channels of audio mixes and the only
            one I can expand that way is the A100. It would take three VCpanners, five
            VCAs, and Lowpass(for the subchannel mix) as far as I can tell. The morphing
            module seems a bit resticted as far as I can make out, but perhaps I am
            wrong.

            Anybody tried this?

            > In a message dated 5/1/2003 6:52:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > andreas.k.lindholm@... writes:
            >

            > > looking into
            > > surround encoding.
            >

            > andreas,
            > sorry, i can`t help about the issue of "encoding" but you might try
            putting
            > some tracks on a dvd and checking the playback. my normal monitoring
            system
            > ( stereo in / 5x1 out ) is a jbl pro-logic surround sound system an, from
            > what i was told, phase relationships are what this keys on. well, most
            synth
            > modifications affect the phase relationship of the signal and i`ve found
            that
            > i get a fair amount of "depth" and "motion" during normal monitoring of
            the
            > synth. hope this is of some help !
            > best,
            > dave

          • Andreas Lindholm
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2003
              Thanx Florian.

              Controllers, I totally forgot that! Of course - the joystick module!

              As for panning I think we are on the same track you and I. I want to be able
              to sweep diagonally too like say from frontleft to right rear. Have you done
              that with the three panner setup, does it work good?

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                Ahh, silly me! I won't need any vcas, just panners! There are vca's in the
                panners! Great, but do the vcas in the panners sound like the standard vcas?

                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                  Hi Andreas

                  > As for panning I think we are on the same track you and I. I want to be able
                  > to sweep diagonally too like say from frontleft to right rear.
                  I know 3D panning with joysticks from professional consoles. The most
                  remarkable thing is, that linear movements are not recognized by the ear as
                  a straight line in the acoustic room. You need to stay quite long in the
                  extrem positions while going from front to rear.
                  So a X-formed movement (FL->RR->RL->FR) should be done more like a 8
                  figure.

                  > Have you done that with the three panner setup, does it work good?
                  Yes, quite nice effect, and quite simple to realzie on the Nord Modular.

                  The more astonishing 3D stuff nevertheless is positioning signals with
                  reverbs and early directions. But this is VERY difficult to realize with
                  separate devices.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                    hi andreas,
                    i have two vc panning modules that i use all the time
                    and they seem to me that these sound fine!
                    bakis.

                    --- Andreas Lindholm <andreas.k.lindholm@...>

                    =====
                    synthfreak(parallel worlds)
                    athens-greece

                    http://search.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                      the vc panner should sound like the a130 linear vca,
                      but i never really compared their sound.

                      best wishes

                      self oscillate

                      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Lindholm"

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                        Okey, that is good enough for me then. I'll order a few and try it out!

                        > i have two vc panning modules that i use all the time
                        > and they seem to me that these sound fine!
                        > bakis.
                        >

                        > --- Andreas Lindholm <andreas.k.lindholm@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Ahh, silly me! I won't need any vcas, just panners!
                        > > There are vca's in the
                        > > panners! Great, but do the vcas in the panners sound
                        > > like the standard vcas?

                      • Andreas Lindholm
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                          Compared to buying a 5.1 compatible mixing console a few panners seems
                          extremely cheap for panning sounds in 3d, but of course I have to remix each
                          one of the tracks and the mix them together again. But I don't know any
                          reasonably priced multichannel mixer, do you guys? Say 2000-3000 dollars or
                          so... not in Fairlight land ;)

                          > > As for panning I think we are on the same track you and I. I want to be
                          able
                          > > to sweep diagonally too like say from frontleft to right rear.
                          > I know 3D panning with joysticks from professional consoles. The most
                          > remarkable thing is, that linear movements are not recognized by the ear
                          as
                          > a straight line in the acoustic room. You need to stay quite long in the
                          > extrem positions while going from front to rear.
                          > So a X-formed movement (FL->RR->RL->FR) should be done more like a 8
                          > figure.
                          >

                          > > Have you done that with the three panner setup, does it work good?
                          > Yes, quite nice effect, and quite simple to realzie on the Nord Modular.
                          >
                          > The more astonishing 3D stuff nevertheless is positioning signals with
                          > reverbs and early directions. But this is VERY difficult to realize with
                          > separate devices.

                        • David Salter
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                            How about something like these?

                            http://www.sslsys.com/Pages/QuadPanner/QP_Overview.htm
                            http://www.manquen.net/swapstop/item.php?id=3
                            or a serge Quad panner module

                            Okey, that is good enough for me then. I'll order a few and try
                            it out!

                            > i have two vc panning modules that i use all the time
                            > and they seem to me that these sound fine!
                            > bakis.
                            >

                            > --- Andreas Lindholm <andreas.k.lindholm@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > > Ahh, silly me! I won't need any vcas, just panners!
                            > > There are vca's in the
                            > > panners! Great, but do the vcas in the panners sound
                            > > like the standard vcas?

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                            032144:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&pa
                            rtid=3170658>

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou
                            pmail/S=:HM/A=1564416/rand=361453918>

                            --------------------------------------------------------------- -

                            the views of Reuters Ltd.

                          • Tim Stinchcombe
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                              > The other story is dynamically positioning a mono signal on four or
                              more
                              > channels. I did this with my Nord Modular, which has 4 outputs. For
                              a mono
                              > signal you need simply three panners:
                              > 1.) Front <-> Rear
                              > 2.) L-Front <-> R-Front
                              > 3.) L_Rear <-> R-Rear

                              I'm not sure I fully get all the subtleties here, but couldn't you do
                              the same thing with just 2 panners, and two (DC coupled) VCAs (such
                              as an A-132), with an inverter, and a CV source (for an offset)? That
                              is, do the 'front-rear' part by altering the CV going to the pair of
                              panners, rather than the signal itself? Admittedly probably takes
                              more modules, but chances are anyone trying this already has them?

                              Tim
                            • Tim Stinchcombe
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Stinchcombe" <timothy@t...>
                                wrote:
                                > > The other story is dynamically positioning a mono signal on four
                                or
                                > more
                                > > channels. I did this with my Nord Modular, which has 4 outputs.
                                For
                                > a mono
                                > > signal you need simply three panners:
                                > > 1.) Front <-> Rear
                                > > 2.) L-Front <-> R-Front
                                > > 3.) L_Rear <-> R-Rear
                                >
                                > I'm not sure I fully get all the subtleties here, but couldn't you
                                do
                                > the same thing with just 2 panners, and two (DC coupled) VCAs (such
                                > as an A-132), with an inverter, and a CV source (for an offset)?
                                That
                                > is, do the 'front-rear' part by altering the CV going to the pair
                                of
                                > panners, rather than the signal itself? Admittedly probably takes
                                > more modules, but chances are anyone trying this already has them?

                                Oh dear, another of those days - as soon as I hit the 'return' button
                                I realised it won't work 'cos the panners don't do what I need to
                                with the CVs. So, no I don't get all the subtleties. Sorry for
                                wasting time and space!

                                Tim
                              • davevosh@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 2, 2003
                                  In a message dated 5/2/2003 4:52:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  andreas.k.lindholm@... writes:

                                  > Helps? None at all actually ;)

                                  andreas,
                                  sorry, hope you find a solution to the problem. if so, be sure to post it as
                                  i`m sure others would be interested !
                                  best,
                                  dave