RE: [Doepfer_a100] Re: The most advanced Attenuator yet

  • David Salter
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
      Agreed, a simple dual attenuator would be nice.

      I also like the idea of Andreas's panel with the LCD, easy to get some
      precision with out too much extra cost.

      Regards

      David Salter
      Reuters Consulting
      Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
      Mob: +44 7990562402
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        David,

        I am aware of Shaeffer, and they do very nice work indeed. That
        said, I'm in the US these days, and the cost... you know where I'm
        going with this, so never mind.

        By the way, how do you like the EFM stuff compared with Oakley?

        Regards,
        Kevin

        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, David Salter
        <david.salter@r...> wrote:
        > I make a few modules, usually from PCB's supplied by Oakley Sound,
        EFM
        > etc.
        >
        > On the panel side I strongly suggest members investigate a company
        that
        > Oakley use (as do a lot of MOTM format users).
        >
        > http://www.schaeffer-apparatebau.de/
        >
        > Schaeffer provide an excellent service. They supply you with a
        graphics
        > package (downloadable from their site) and a utility to work out
        cost
        > (so you can modify it if it's too expensive) and they will make
        the
        > panel, drilled, lettered to your spec (even one off's).
        >
        > Highly recommended.
        >
        > Have a look at www.oakleysound.co.uk to see finished examples/
        >
        > regards
        >

        > David Salter
        > Reuters Consulting
        > Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
        > Mob: +44 7990562402

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1
        705

        032144:HM/A=1513704/R=0/*http://www.gotomypc.com/u/tr/yh/cpm/grp/300_
        02F
        > /g22lp?Target=mm/g22lp.tmpl>
        >
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=246920.2960106.4328965.1728375/D=egrou
        > pmail/S=:HM/A=1513704/rand=275030968>

        > --------------------------------------------------------------- -
        > Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com
        >
        > Get closer to the financial markets with Reuters Messaging - for
        more
        > information and to register, visit http://www.reuters.com/messaging

        > sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be
        > the views of Reuters Ltd.

      • David Salter
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
          Kevin,

          I tend to find the EFM pcbs of a lower quality to the Oakley boards.
          Specifically they are single sided, if you are heavy handed with a
          soldering iron, tracks can lift.

          Most of the current PCB/circuit designs are pretty much bug free but a
          quick look through the user group shows that unlike the Oakley group,
          there is a lot of "it's built but, not working" sort of posts. Patience
          helps with the EFM boards.

          Having said all that, when they are working they are great. I have no
          complaints from a sonic point of view, in fact I have an older filter
          board that isn't working as it should but I like the sound so never
          bothered fixing it.

          There is quite a large EFM community in the states and Tom and the group
          are all very helpful.

          Hope that helps.

          Regards

          David

          David Salter
          Reuters Consulting
          Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
          Mob: +44 7990562402

          --------------------------------------------------------------- -
          > Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com
          >
          > Get closer to the financial markets with Reuters Messaging -
          for
          more
          > information and to register, visit
          http://www.reuters.com/messaging

          > Any views expressed in this message are those of the
          individual
          > sender, except where the sender specifically states them to
          be
          > the views of Reuters Ltd.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          032144:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>
          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=558408686>

          -------------------------------------------------------------- --

          the views of Reuters Ltd.

        • code_pig
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
            David,

            Thanks for the info. I am aware that the Oakley stuff has a higher
            quality PCB, but was more curious about the sonic quality... more
            specifically his ARP filter.

            Apologies for thread-jack.

            <david.salter@r...> wrote:
            > Kevin,
            >
            > I tend to find the EFM pcbs of a lower quality to the Oakley
            boards.
            > Specifically they are single sided, if you are heavy handed with a
            > soldering iron, tracks can lift.
            >
            > Most of the current PCB/circuit designs are pretty much bug free
            but a
            > quick look through the user group shows that unlike the Oakley
            group,
            > there is a lot of "it's built but, not working" sort of posts.
            Patience
            > helps with the EFM boards.
            >
            > Having said all that, when they are working they are great. I have
            no
            > complaints from a sonic point of view, in fact I have an older
            filter
            > board that isn't working as it should but I like the sound so never
            > bothered fixing it.
            >
            > There is quite a large EFM community in the states and Tom and the
            group
            > are all very helpful.
            >
            > Hope that helps.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > David
            >

            > David Salter
            > Reuters Consulting
            > Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
            > Mob: +44 7990562402
            > Fax: +44 20 7542 2699
          • David Salter
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
              Kevin,

              Not tried the ARP filter, the Korg Delta filter is nice though.

              Regards

              David Salter
              Reuters Consulting
              Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
              Mob: +44 7990562402

              <david.salter@r...> wrote:
              > Kevin,
              >
              > I tend to find the EFM pcbs of a lower quality to the Oakley
              boards.
              > Specifically they are single sided, if you are heavy handed
              with a
              > soldering iron, tracks can lift.
              >
              > Most of the current PCB/circuit designs are pretty much bug
              free
              but a
              > quick look through the user group shows that unlike the Oakley

              group,
              > there is a lot of "it's built but, not working" sort of posts.

              Patience
              > helps with the EFM boards.
              >
              > Having said all that, when they are working they are great. I
              have
              no
              > complaints from a sonic point of view, in fact I have an older

              filter
              > board that isn't working as it should but I like the sound so
              never
              > bothered fixing it.
              >
              > There is quite a large EFM community in the states and Tom and
              the
              group
              > are all very helpful.
              >
              > Hope that helps.