RE: [Doepfer_a100] Re: The most advanced Attenuator yet

  • David Salter
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 31, 2003
      I make a few modules, usually from PCB's supplied by Oakley Sound, EFM
      etc.

      On the panel side I strongly suggest members investigate a company that
      Oakley use (as do a lot of MOTM format users).

      http://www.schaeffer-apparatebau.de/

      Schaeffer provide an excellent service. They supply you with a graphics
      package (downloadable from their site) and a utility to work out cost
      (so you can modify it if it's too expensive) and they will make the
      panel, drilled, lettered to your spec (even one off's).

      Highly recommended.

      Have a look at www.oakleysound.co.uk to see finished examples/

      regards

      David Salter
      Reuters Consulting
      Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
      Mob: +44 7990562402
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
        Agreed, a simple dual attenuator would be nice.

        I also like the idea of Andreas's panel with the LCD, easy to get some
        precision with out too much extra cost.

        Regards

        David Salter
        Reuters Consulting
        Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
        Mob: +44 7990562402
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
          David,

          I am aware of Shaeffer, and they do very nice work indeed. That
          said, I'm in the US these days, and the cost... you know where I'm
          going with this, so never mind.

          By the way, how do you like the EFM stuff compared with Oakley?

          Regards,
          Kevin

          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, David Salter

        • David Salter
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
            Kevin,

            I tend to find the EFM pcbs of a lower quality to the Oakley boards.
            Specifically they are single sided, if you are heavy handed with a
            soldering iron, tracks can lift.

            Most of the current PCB/circuit designs are pretty much bug free but a
            quick look through the user group shows that unlike the Oakley group,
            there is a lot of "it's built but, not working" sort of posts. Patience
            helps with the EFM boards.

            Having said all that, when they are working they are great. I have no
            complaints from a sonic point of view, in fact I have an older filter
            board that isn't working as it should but I like the sound so never
            bothered fixing it.

            There is quite a large EFM community in the states and Tom and the group
            are all very helpful.

            Hope that helps.

            Regards

            David

            David Salter
            Reuters Consulting
            Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
            Mob: +44 7990562402

            --------------------------------------------------------------- -
            > Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com
            >
            > Get closer to the financial markets with Reuters Messaging -
            for
            more
            > information and to register, visit
            http://www.reuters.com/messaging

            > Any views expressed in this message are those of the
            individual
            > sender, except where the sender specifically states them to
            be
            > the views of Reuters Ltd.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            032144:HM/A=1457554/R=0/*http://ipunda.com/clk/beibunmaisuiyuiwabei>
            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=245454.3115308.4434529.1728375/D=egrou
            pmail/S=:HM/A=1457554/rand=558408686>

            -------------------------------------------------------------- --

            the views of Reuters Ltd.

          • code_pig
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
              David,

              Thanks for the info. I am aware that the Oakley stuff has a higher
              quality PCB, but was more curious about the sonic quality... more
              specifically his ARP filter.

              Apologies for thread-jack.

              <david.salter@r...> wrote:
              > Kevin,
              >
              > I tend to find the EFM pcbs of a lower quality to the Oakley
              boards.
              > Specifically they are single sided, if you are heavy handed with a
              > soldering iron, tracks can lift.
              >
              > Most of the current PCB/circuit designs are pretty much bug free
              but a
              > quick look through the user group shows that unlike the Oakley
              group,
              > there is a lot of "it's built but, not working" sort of posts.
              Patience
              > helps with the EFM boards.
              >
              > Having said all that, when they are working they are great. I have
              no
              > complaints from a sonic point of view, in fact I have an older
              filter
              > board that isn't working as it should but I like the sound so never
              > bothered fixing it.
              >
              > There is quite a large EFM community in the states and Tom and the
              group
              > are all very helpful.
              >
              > Hope that helps.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > David
              >

              > David Salter
              > Reuters Consulting
              > Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
              > Mob: +44 7990562402
              > Fax: +44 20 7542 2699
            • David Salter
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2003
                Kevin,

                Not tried the ARP filter, the Korg Delta filter is nice though.

                Regards

                David Salter
                Reuters Consulting
                Tel: +44 20 7542 2402
                Mob: +44 7990562402

                <david.salter@r...> wrote:
                > Kevin,
                >
                > I tend to find the EFM pcbs of a lower quality to the Oakley
                boards.
                > Specifically they are single sided, if you are heavy handed
                with a
                > soldering iron, tracks can lift.
                >
                > Most of the current PCB/circuit designs are pretty much bug
                free
                but a
                > quick look through the user group shows that unlike the Oakley

                group,
                > there is a lot of "it's built but, not working" sort of posts.

                Patience
                > helps with the EFM boards.
                >
                > Having said all that, when they are working they are great. I
                have
                no
                > complaints from a sonic point of view, in fact I have an older

                filter
                > board that isn't working as it should but I like the sound so
                never
                > bothered fixing it.
                >
                > There is quite a large EFM community in the states and Tom and
                the
                group
                > are all very helpful.
                >
                > Hope that helps.