RE: [Doepfer_a100] Re: Jacks

  • unknown freak
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 8, 2002
      Does anyone know if Doepfer uses switching jacks on any of its modules, or
      are they all just tip and ground?

    • Paul Schulz
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 8, 2002
        I think the CV1 in on the A-110 VCO is a switching jack.

        P.

        unknown freak wrote:

        > Does anyone know if Doepfer uses switching jacks on any of its modules, or
        > are they all just tip and ground?
      • James Husted
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 8, 2002
          All the jacks I've looked at on Doepfer modules are Switching types, though
          the switching function is seldom used. They use this type of jack because it
          has more legs to go through the PCB (stability and strength), six instead of
          three. Most of the modules have traces bridging across both the switch and
          contact legs. I was going to use the switching leg to make a "normalized"
          synth starting patch, the common VCO-VCF_VCA sort of thing, but because the
          traces are sometimes on both sides of a double sided PCB, you would have to
          remove the jack to cut the top trace. It would be nice if Doepfer did what
          the old Emu modular did, offer all the switched contacts on the PCB with
          headers that you could wire to. If the Switched contacts on the Doepfer
          jacks just went to unused pads (cheaper than headers) that would be very
          useful for making normalized patches, mot to mention making a Vostok type
          synth with a ARP 2500 switch bank or EMS patch matrix that always could be
          overridden with a patch cord.

          > I think the CV1 in on the A-110 VCO is a switching jack.
          >
          > P.
          >

          > unknown freak wrote:
          >
          >> Does anyone know if Doepfer uses switching jacks on any of its modules, or
          >> are they all just tip and ground?

          James Husted
          james@...
          www.ersatzplanet.com
          HM:206.781.2984
          CEL:206.618.5305
        • Tim Stinchcombe <timothy@tstinchcombe.fr
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 8, 2002
            > Does anyone know if Doepfer uses switching jacks on any of its
            modules, or
            > are they all just tip and ground?

            The Cliff jacks *are* switching jacks, but on most modules they are
            not connected as such. Doepfer often say a signal is 'normalled' to
            some other signal when it is used in a switching capacity. A quick
            scan of the modules I have revealed these:

            A108 'feedb' - from 48dB output if no plug inserted
            A110 'CV1' - from bus
            'sync' - grounded
            A127 'ext CV' (x3) - from internal LFO
            A134 'audio in 2' - from 'audio in 1'
            A136 'ext level' (+ and -) - from +L, -L pot resp.
            A140 'gate' - from bus
            A156 'trig in' (x2) - from internal clock
            A179 'ext LDR' - from internal LDR
            A199 'ext feedbk in' - from 'reverb out'

            ... and there are probably more in other modules I don't have!

            Tim

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Tim Stinchcombe <timothy@tstinchcombe.fr
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2002
              Hi James,
              Sorry for correcting you, but I thought I'd clarify a few of your
              comments, so that confusion doesn't arise...

              The jacks only have 4 pins (and not six).
              None of the modules (some 40 or so different types) I have are
              doubled sided PCBs - they all only have copper tracks on one side.
              However, you are right in that it would often be tricky to do what
              you want to because often the jacks *are* mounted on the solder side,
              and so would required their removal to cut the track underneath.

              Tim

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "James Husted" <james@e...>
              wrote:
              > All the jacks I've looked at on Doepfer modules are Switching
              types, though
              > the switching function is seldom used. They use this type of jack
              because it
              > has more legs to go through the PCB (stability and strength), six
              instead of
              > three. Most of the modules have traces bridging across both the
              switch and
              > contact legs. I was going to use the switching leg to make
              a "normalized"
              > synth starting patch, the common VCO-VCF_VCA sort of thing, but
              because the
              > traces are sometimes on both sides of a double sided PCB, you would
              have to
              > remove the jack to cut the top trace. It would be nice if Doepfer
              did what
              > the old Emu modular did, offer all the switched contacts on the PCB
              with
              > headers that you could wire to. If the Switched contacts on the
              Doepfer
              > jacks just went to unused pads (cheaper than headers) that would be
              very
              > useful for making normalized patches, mot to mention making a
              Vostok type
              > synth with a ARP 2500 switch bank or EMS patch matrix that always
              could be
              > overridden with a patch cord.
              >
              > > I think the CV1 in on the A-110 VCO is a switching jack.
              > >
              > > P.
              > >

              > > unknown freak wrote:
              > >
              > >> Does anyone know if Doepfer uses switching jacks on any of its
              modules, or
              > >> are they all just tip and ground?

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > --
              > James Husted
              > james@e...
              > www.ersatzplanet.com
              > HM:206.781.2984
              > CEL:206.618.5305
            • bakis Sirros
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 8, 2002
                hi bret,
                i'll forward your message to doepfer....he will maybe
                answer your question....
                bakis.

                --- "c45a6 <clone45@...>"
                <clone45@...> wrote:

                > Hallo!
                >
                > Well, I know I've asked this question before, but I
                > never got a response. No worries, I know I'm a
                > little off topic.
                >
                > I'm building a module for my Doefper A-100. Does
                > anyone know which jacks (manufacturer/part number)
                > are used by Doepfer, Analog Solutions, or Analog
                > Systems? Are there any other jacks that could do
                > the job? I'd like to solder the jacks directly onto
                > the PCB board like they do. The jacks should be
                > threaded like Doepfer's too.
                >
                > Thanks!
                > - Bret

                =====
                synthfreak(parallel worlds)
                athens-greece
                [Doepfer_a100] group owner-moderator

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • James Husted
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 8, 2002
                  > Hi James,
                  > Sorry for correcting you, but I thought I'd clarify a few of your
                  > comments, so that confusion doesn't arise...
                  >
                  > The jacks only have 4 pins (and not six).
                  > None of the modules (some 40 or so different types) I have are
                  > doubled sided PCBs - they all only have copper tracks on one side.
                  > However, you are right in that it would often be tricky to do what
                  > you want to because often the jacks *are* mounted on the solder side,
                  > and so would required their removal to cut the track underneath.
                  >
                  > Tim
                  Your very right, I was going from memory (not willing to pop open my Doepfer
                  portable racks to look), 6 pin would be stereo TRS type. And for the
                  soldering, the memory was failing again, I was thinking of the instance
                  where the jacks are soldered to the trace side of the PCB. This is a bad
                  practice to my mind, but unavoidable with the space considerations. It is
                  not nearly as stable as through PCB to pad. It is much easier to rip a part
                  off the trace side of a un-plated through PCB pad than trying to pull the
                  soldered pad through the hole.
                  --
                  James Husted
                  james@...
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 9, 2002
                    Hi!! Thanks everyone! Your comments have been amazingly helpful.
                    I've ordered some jacks from Cliff Components. Hopefully I can kick
                    this project into high gear. :-)

                    I'm going to use ExpressPCB to do the PCB board, and I may use
                    http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ to make the front panel. Very fun!!

                    - Bret
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 12, 2002
                      Hi unknown freak

                      > Does anyone know if Doepfer uses switching jacks on any of its modules, or
                      > are they all just tip and ground?
                      All jacks are basically switching types (four solder pins for two
                      contacts), but very often the pcb layout makes a switching use impossible.
                      I changed a lot of modules to a switching mode, but the swicthing mechanism
                      of the 3.5mmm jacks is not very reliable. Meanwhil I tend to add a real
                      switch for these functions.

                      Florian Anwander |ConSol* HP-Support
                      Tel. +49.89.45841-133 |Consulting&Solutions Software GmbH
                      Fax +49.89.45841-139 |Franziskanerstr. 38, D-81669 M√ľnchen
                      email: florian.anwander@... |http://www.consol.de