AW: [Doepfer_a100] Doepfer Dark Energy mk2: unusual ADSR or VCA behaviour

  • ddoepfer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am an A-100 users group newbie, with a question that hopefully
      > has simple answer. I have Doepfer Dark Energy mk1 and mk2
      > semi-modular synths, and a few other A-100 modules.
      >
      > When I play alternate notes quickly on the Dark energy synths, on
      > the mk1 the volume stays at the same level, but on the mk2 the
      > volume increases, until it is about twice as loud as the initial
      > level. I have experimented with different settings on the
      > envelope generator and VCA, but the effect is constant. My A-100
      > ADSR and VCA modules don't behave like this, neither does my Dark
      > energy mk1.
      >
      > Is this typical for the dark energy mk2's? If so is there any
      > calibration which might fix it?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any help,
      >
      > Blair

      The envelope generators of Dark Energy I and Dark Energy II are exactly the
      same and should generate the same result with the same settings (i.e. same
      A, D, S, R and range). I have no explanation for this behaviour. Please try
      this: use the envelope generator of the Dark Energy I to control the Dark
      Energy II. If then the behaviour of the Energy II is as expected probably
      the envelope generator of the Dark Energy II has a fault and has to be
      repaired.

      You may also connect the two units the other way round (i.e. use the
      envelope generator of the Dark Energy II to control the Dark Energy I) to
      find out if it's a problem of the envelope generator of Dark Energy II.

    • blair.cowan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2013
        Deiter,

        thank you for your prompt response. I did as you suggested, and my Dark Energy 2 behaves correctly when driven by my Dark Energy 1's ADSR envelope output into its VCA input.

        I then unplugged the connection into the Dark Energy VCA input, attempted to drive my Dark Energy 2 from its own ADSR generator, This no longer works.

        This confirms your theory that the my Dark Energy 2 has a fault. I will return it to the UK Distributer (EMIS) for repair.

        Thanks again,

        Blair