Re: [Doepfer_a100] A126 Frequency shifter updated version?

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 3 9:28 AM
      Yeah, it is expensive to get it 2nd hand. And besides that there are very
      little alternatives available in eurorack format.

      Ernst

      On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Zo� Blade <zoe@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > > I was just wondering if the updated version of the A126 (using the a143-9
      > > as its oscillator) is still in the planning..
      > > Any others here interested in this?
      >
      > Isn't the A-126 phenomenally expensive on eBay? That seems to suggest
      > there'd be demand for it.

    • lerake
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 20 5:32 PM

        I would love to get an updated Frequency Shifter. I still have my 1998 A-126, but for one thing it won't fit in my new portable case because it's a very deep module, so I can only use it in the studio rather than live.

        a different Ernst

        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, <doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Yeah, it is expensive to get it 2nd hand. And besides that there are very
        little alternatives available in eurorack format.

        Ernst

        On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Zo� Blade <zoe@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > > I was just wondering if the updated version of the A126 (using the a143-9
        > > as its oscillator) is still in the planning..
        > > Any others here interested in this?
        >
        > Isn't the A-126 phenomenally expensive on eBay? That seems to suggest
        > there'd be demand for it.

      • modularplanet
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 21 7:27 AM

          BTW...

          ...new patch with old Frequency Shifter   ;-)

              http://www.modular-planet.de/fx/grandfather's_clock/grandfather's_clock.html

          Joffes

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 21 9:49 AM
            thanks for your excellent site Joffes !

            Bakis

            ...new patch with old Frequency Shifter   ;-)

            Joffes

            --- In doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, <lerake@...> wrote:

            I would love to get an updated Frequency Shifter. I still have my 1998 A-126, but for one thing it won't fit in my new portable case because it's a very deep module, so I can only use it in the studio rather than live.

            a different Ernst

            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, <doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Yeah, it is expensive to get it 2nd hand. And besides that there are very
            little alternatives available in eurorack format.

            Ernst

            On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Zo� Blade <zoe@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > > I was just wondering if the updated version of the A126 (using the a143-9
            > > as its oscillator) is still in the planning..
            > > Any others here interested in this?
            >
            > Isn't the A-126 phenomenally expensive on eBay? That seems to suggest
            > there'd be demand for it.

          • Florence Michel
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 21 10:02 AM
              Hi, one little composition with 2 A-126

              http://soundcloud.com/synth4you/doepfer-song-white-a-126

              For infos, all the elements of music exept the drums were made with Doepfer modules
            • ddoepfer
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 23 1:47 AM
                > I would love to get an updated Frequency Shifter. I still have my
                > 1998 A-126, but for one thing it won't fit in my new portable
                > case because it's a very deep module, so I can only use it in the
                > studio rather than live.
                >

                > a different Ernst

                The planned new A-126-2 will be smaller than the old one but not include the
                quadrature VCO (but probably a squelch circuit with envelope follower and
                VCA). As quadrature VCO the A-143-9 has to be used. This VCO has a much
                wider range and more features than the old CEM3382-based VCO of the A-126.
                This allows also very interesting low frequency applications of the
                frequency shifter that were not possible with the A-126 as the minimum
                frequency of the A-126 quadrature VCO was about 50Hz. There is no release
                date available for the A-126-2 but we are working on it ...

              • Scott Rogers
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 23 6:35 AM
                  Just to add my voice here, I was just yesterday wondering if Doepfer
                  had a frequency shifter! I can't wait for this module!

                  Scott

                  www.scottfromcanada.com

                  At 04:47 AM 9/23/2013, you wrote:
                  > > I would love to get an updated Frequency Shifter. I still have my
                  > > 1998 A-126, but for one thing it won't fit in my new portable
                  > > case because it's a very deep module, so I can only use it in the
                  > > studio rather than live.
                  > >

                  > > a different Ernst
                  >
                  >The planned new A-126-2 will be smaller than the old one but not include the
                  >quadrature VCO (but probably a squelch circuit with envelope follower and
                  >VCA). As quadrature VCO the A-143-9 has to be used. This VCO has a much
                  >wider range and more features than the old CEM3382-based VCO of the A-126.
                  >This allows also very interesting low frequency applications of the
                  >frequency shifter that were not possible with the A-126 as the minimum
                  >frequency of the A-126 quadrature VCO was about 50Hz. There is no release
                  >date available for the A-126-2 but we are working on it ...
                  >
                  >Best wishes
                  >Dieter Doepfer

                • danny.budts
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 23 6:47 AM

                    Can someone tell me if there is a difference between a frequency shifter (A-126) and a pitch shifter as in the VCDSP A-187-1?

                    Cheers,

                    Danny

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 23 7:41 AM
                      Am 23.09.2013 15:47, schrieb syndromeda@...:
                      > Can someone tell me if there is a difference between a frequency shifter
                      > (A-126) and a pitch shifter as in the VCDSP A-187-1?

                      The pitch shifter keeps the musical context. The frequency shofter doesn't.

                      More technically spoken:
                      The pitch shifter multiplies frequencies with a factor. The frequency
                      shifter adds frequencies.

                      I think simple number examples, show it the best:

                      A frequency shifter shifts all frequencies for a certain number amount
                      of Herz. Lets say 2Hz

                      Take a very low bassnote like a 'C. It has 32 Hz. If you shift that for
                      2Hz, then it will be a little above a 'C#.

                      Now take a quite high note like a c'''. It hast 1000Hz. If you shift
                      that you even won't notice.

                      Now a pitch shifter shifts not frequency but pitch (like "a half note").
                      The same example:

                      Take a very low bassnote like a 'C (32,70 Hz). Shift it for a half note,
                      it will become a 'C# (34,65 Hz)

                      Now take the quite high note like c''' (1.046,50 Hz). Shift it for a
                      half note. it will become a d#''' (1.108,73 Hz).
                    • Zoë Blade
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 23 7:46 AM
                        So... one's linear, the other's exponential?
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 23 7:53 AM
                          Hello Zoë,

                          Am 23.09.2013 16:46, schrieb Zoë Blade:
                          > So... one's linear, the other's exponential?
                          No: simply addition vs multiplication. No highschool math included - its
                          primary shool 3rd class mathematics.

                          Florian
                        • Peter Sedin
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 23 7:55 AM
                            if it has cv-input for frequency i am.

                            2013/9/2 achtung_999 <heinrich.himmelwasser@...>

                            Hello list,

                            I was just wondering if the updated version of the A126 (using the a143-9
                            as its oscillator) is still in the planning..
                            Any others here interested in this?

                            grtz

                            Ernst

                            Mvh

                            Peter H.K Sedin
                          • Scott Rogers
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 23 7:58 AM

                              I think it will be difficult to understand this module without actually hearing it. There are some basic examples (the MP3s) on the old 126 page that will help clear it up a bit!

                              http://www.doepfer.de/a126.htm

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 23 9:06 AM
                                Ah, thank you, both of you!
                              • Danny Budts
                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 24 1:41 AM
                                  Thanks, well explained...so the VC-126 simply is more "mayem".

                                  Cheers,
                                  Danny Budts
                                  info@...
                                  www.syndromeda.be
                                • Danny Budts
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 24 1:42 AM
                                    VC-126 of coarse means A-126 (did not had my coffe yet ;-).
                                    Danny Budts
                                    info@...
                                    www.syndromeda.be
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 24 2:01 AM
                                      Hello Danny

                                      On 24.09.13 10:42 , Danny Budts wrote:
                                      > /VC-126 of coarse means A-126 (did not had my coffe yet ;-)./

                                      which leads to an even better explanation:
                                      A frequency shifter sounds like a pitch shifter, that had no coffe yet :-))