Re: Using the A-155 sequencer to switch between audio sources

  • niroke
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2013
      James,
      That would be a similar patch, and I too have the 135/144 combo in my
      system. What I like about the 155 in this patch is the ease at which
      you can set up different running modes and pattern lengths, and have
      voltage control over it all. Plus you can use the trigger rows of the
      A-155 for other things while you're at it.
      nick

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, James Husted wrote:

      > I do this sort of thing all the time but without the A-155. I use the
      A-135 or a 4ms VCAMatrix and a A-144 as a controller for them. Less
      inputs (loops) to control of course but you get a clean fade between the
      different sources. I typically don't use this technique with drum loops,
      I use it with musical phrases or background ambient sounds so the abrupt
      switching (and associated switch noises) show much more and the A-155 is
      less useful. The A-155 works great it seems with drum loops since the
      percussive nature of the switching actually enhances the sound
      especially since the switching and the switch noise will always be on
      beat.
      > -James
      >
      > James Husted
      > Designer, Synthwerks LLC
      > www.synthwerks.com
      > james@...
      > synthwerks@...
      >

      > On Jun 23, 2013, at 8:04 AM, niroke maq163x2@... wrote:
      >
      > > Anoop,
      > > Correct, the sequencer only decides which audio signal (one of the
      8
      > > beatloops) is heard over the course of one particular step. This is
      > > done by running the audio signals THROUGH the sequencer. The A-155
      is
      > > synced to Ableton by way of my Elektron Machinedrum, on which I
      created
      > > a pattern of pulses that was 2 bars long which is routed to a
      specific
      > > output and from there to the A-154 Ext Clock In. This pulse
      (trigger)
      > > pattern started with 1/2 note intervals and increased up to 16th
      note
      > > intervals. The pattern plays looped and starts with the drum loops
      via
      > > Ableton. So, there is some predictability there because you know
      the
      > > trigger pattern goes from slow to fast over two bars (although this
      can
      > > easily be changed at the Machinedrum), but which step is active
      (which
      > > drum loop) is randomly chosen by the A-154 Seq Controller. More
      > > predictability can be achieved by setting the direction to Forward.
      > > Additional control can be had by using the A-154 First and Last
      step
      > > settings, limiting the range of the sequence (number of steps) and
      > > allowing for more deliberate and specific fills/focus. Effects on
      the
      > > audio before sending it to the sequencer can make certain
      steps/audio
      > > slices stand out. But also, the loops I used in the first example
      were
      > > all several bars long, had a variety of sounds throughout, etc, so
      added
      > > extra depth to the possible audio output, for better or worse.
      Using a

      http://niroke.blogspot.com/2013/06/using-doepfer-155-to-re-arrange-audio\
      \