Hard synchronising VCO's

  • anoop.sahal
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 23, 2013
      I have not seen this feature in the VCO's of Doepfer but old analogue synths had it.

      It would help improve FM synthesis.

      Hard synchronising VCO's would be a desirable feature if the phase at which each VCO is at is continuously adjustable (1 to 179 degrees) , before locking it.

      I do not have a system yet so apologies is the above post is stupid.

      Regards

      Anoop
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hello

        The A110 and A111 VCOs do have Hard-Sync.

        But for FM you will prefer the soft sync (it locks on overtones). The
        A111 does provides it direct (socket 'S-Sync'), the A110 has it prepare
        internall, but there is no socket on the outside. I added a switch to
        one o my A110s, so I can switch between hard or softsync.

        Florian

        On 23.06.13 14:13 , anoop.sahal wrote:
        > I have not seen this feature in the VCO's of Doepfer but old analogue synths had it.
        >
        > It would help improve FM synthesis.
        >
        > Hard synchronising VCO's would be a desirable feature if the phase at which each VCO is at is continuously adjustable (1 to 179 degrees) , before locking it.
        >
        > I do not have a system yet so apologies is the above post is stupid.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Anoop
      • Mark John Hunt
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
          ...this is interesting, Florian - I did not know that the A - 110 had this
          feature. Is there a schematic anywhere on how to add this feature?

          Kind regards

        • isoldeandisobelle
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
            ...this is interesting, Florian - I did not know that the A - 110 had this feature, is there a schematic on how to add this feature?

            Kind regards

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
              Hello

              Am 24.06.2013 12:58, schrieb isoldeandisobelle:
              > is there a schematic on how to add this feature?
              http://www.doepfer.de/a110.htm say:
              "...For more detailed information please look at the user's manual
              A110_man.pdf. In addition the A-110 service manual is available as an
              example for the A-100 service manual that is available at extra charges.
              ..."

              which links to: http://www.doepfer.de/a110_tec.htm

              Florian
            • isoldeandisobelle
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
                Thank you very much for the reply - I will look in to this.

                Best wishes

                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Florian Anwander <fanwander@...> wrote:

                > Hello
                >
                > Am 24.06.2013 12:58, schrieb isoldeandisobelle:
                > > is there a schematic on how to add this feature?
                > http://www.doepfer.de/a110.htm say:
                > "...For more detailed information please look at the user's manual
                > A110_man.pdf. In addition the A-110 service manual is available as an
                > example for the A-100 service manual that is available at extra charges.
                > ..."
                >
                > which links to: http://www.doepfer.de/a110_tec.htm
                >

                > Florian

              • Neal Layton
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                  Hello all,

                  This option for Soft sync, and looking at the schematic also perhaps linear FM option(?) looks interesting.

                  However there appears to be Potentiometers with no value after their sockets in.

                  Am I reading this correctly?

                  If so what is their function and values?

                  Thanks,

                  Neal
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 25, 2013
                    Hello

                    In general: I cannot speak for Dieter, but I assume, he is adding these
                    extensions to the schematics as suggestions for diyers with at least a
                    little knowledge. If I was him, I would keep it that vague, so noone can
                    complain about "works not like expected" as he does not set any expectation.

                    Am 25.06.2013 10:39, schrieb Neal Layton:
                    > Am I reading this correctly?
                    Yes

                    > If so what is their function and values?
                    The function is attenuation.

                    As value you may take 50k lin, but other values (10k <-> 500k) will be
                    ok. Also whether you are using lin or log is more a matter of taste,
                    than a technical necessity.

                    Florian
                  • Neal Layton
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 26, 2013
                      Hi Florian,

                      Many thanks for the reply.

                      That all makes sense.

                      I'm modifying one of my A110's for use with the Universal Vactrol A101.9, making a little 4hp module to sit alongside the A110, so I will try adding these extra two FM modifications as well which will fill up the remaining room on the blank nicely.

                      Regards,

                      Neal
                    • Neal Layton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3, 2013
                        Hello all,

                        I've just one more quick question before I do this mod-

                        There's a 0.1u capacitor with a switch in parallel marked AC/DC coupling.

                        I wondered what the purpose of AC coupling was in this application?

                        Thanks,

                        Neal