Re: [Doepfer_a100] Midi keyboard controlling several VCO's

  • Zoë Blade
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 20, 2013
      Hi again!

      > Still planning my system, so I would welcome advice as to which module will take a midi signal and output several cv/gate signals to control say 4 VCO's eg in the Quad VCO's unit.
      >
      > Is this practical or should I budget for a polyponic cv keyboard?

      You could always do what I did, and wait patiently for someone to sell one of the wonderful MCV-24 units that are no longer in production. Or you could wait for the A-190-5 module to come out. Either should do the trick quite nicely!

      http://www.doepfer.de/mcv24.htm
      http://www.doepfer.de/a1905.htm

      All the best,
      Zoë.
    • anoop.sahal
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 21, 2013
        Thanks Zoe.

        I think the new unit is about right for me

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 21, 2013
          Hello Zoë,

          Am 21.06.2013 00:17, schrieb Zoë Blade:
          > Or you could wait for the A-190-5 module to come out.
          > Either should do the trick quite nicely!
          >
          > http://www.doepfer.de/a1905.htm
          I think for paraphonic polyphony the 19056 is only one half of the game.

          The problem are the gates.

          He needs to "mix" (= combine in or-logic) the gates into one gate. And
          assumingly he will want some multi-retriggering of the envelope with
          each new note.

          Combining the gates is easy with an A-186. But the creation of the
          polyphonic retrigger becomes more difficult. You'd need two A-165 and
          another A-186 to get the required retrigger signal.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 21, 2013
            Uups
            > ...polyphony the 19056 is...
            Should read "...polyphony the A-190-5 is..."

            Florian
          • Zoë Blade
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 21, 2013
              > The problem are the gates.

              I assumed he was going to get four envelope generators, four oscillators, and four VCAs. Which personally I wouldn't do as for that money and space I could have a great monophonic setup with enough different filters to sound like a whole room full of different synthesisers, instead of an OK polyphonic setup. But if you really need modular polyphony for some reason, that's probably the way to go about it.
            • christian ienni
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 21, 2013
                > The problem are the gates.

                >I assumed he was going to get four envelope generators, four oscillators, and four VCAs. Which personally I wouldn't do as for that >money and space I could have a great monophonic setup with enough different filters to sound like a whole room full of different >synthesisers, instead of an OK polyphonic setup. But if you really need modular polyphony for some reason, that's probably the way to >go about it.
                even though it's discontinued, you might be able to still find some of the A-111-5 (the module Dark Energy) available. i know Shawn at analoguehaven.com (the u.s. doepfer distro) still has some in stock. would probably be cheaper than the "four of each module" scenario.

                _
                _._,_.___
                Recent Activity: * New Members 4
                Visit Your Group

                .

              • christian ienni
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 21, 2013
                  sorry about the strange text formatting folks! yahoo's new webmail interface is doing some weird shite when replying/quoting.

                  to reiterate:

                  even though it's discontinued, you might be able to still find some of the A-111-5 (the module Dark Energy) available. i know Shawn at analoguehaven.com (the u.s. doepfer distro) still has some in stock. would probably be cheaper than the "four of each module" scenario.

                  in fact at the bottom of the doepfer page on the 111-5:

                  http://www.doepfer.de/A1115.htm
                  there is an example of using 4x111-5 with a 190-5 to create the very 4-voice polyphony scenario he wants.