Re: Getting extra power to a 9U.

  • re_qu
    Message 1 of 12 , May 9, 2013
      yeah, modulargrid made me aware of the problem, though it's not always correct with it's values so i advise anyone to double check figures...

      so for an individual who fears the power of electricity, the only way to get more power is to add in a A-100 DIY Kit #1?

      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, James Husted <james.husted@...> wrote:

      > This is where sites like http://www.modulargrid.netcome in handy. Lay out your planned modules and it will tell you power requirements and prices. It has nearly every maker out there.
      > -James
      >
      > On May 9, 2013, at 11:26 AM, analogmonster@... wrote:
      >
      > > Yeah i have 2 of the diy kit #1 doepfer psus in one 18 u case (ie 6 bus boards, 3 bus board per psu) and this is fine for me. Just means my modular rack uses 2 wall sockets not one now. But note that you need to calculate the total current draw on a module by module basis-stated by manufacturers-not just what would seem to fit the cabinet/rack size. It is best to add the total draw for positive and the total draw for negative together then add 10%. as soon as that approaches your max current draw you need to upgrade.
      > >

      > > On 9 May 2013, at 17:25, James Husted <james.husted@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> A second supply in the cabinet. Have one supply run one set of motherboards and the second run what is left.
      > >> -James
      > >>
      > >> James Husted
      > >> Designer, Synthwerks LLC
      > >> www.synthwerks.com
      > >> james@...
      > >> synthwerks@...

    • christian ienni
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9, 2013
        hmmm... i have 5 G6 racks (& 2 mini cases) with all sorts of various modules, and have never bothered adding up current draw totals or requirements. i just put the mods in more or less logical relation to each other (oscillators -> mixers -> filters -> vcas; with envelopes, lfos & other whatnots placed where they happen to fit; the sequencer subsystem is in its own dedicated case), and have never had any problems, at least none i have ever noticed. guess i've been lucky! i probably should add things up at some point, just to make sure...

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , May 10, 2013
          well, i was raised with the old Doepfer PSU's, giving 650 ma's in a G6 case, so, i learned to always add up the current draws of the modules i mount in a case.
          you should do that. this way you can always be sure that your modules work ok and that you are not overloading your PSU with more power load that what it was designed for.

          Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist
          [Doepfer_a100] group owner
          www. parallel - worlds - music. com
          www. facebook. com/ pages/Parallel-Worlds/192093934136476
          www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic
          www. myspace. com/ memorygeist
          www. DiN. org. uk

          ________________________________
          hmmm... i have 5 G6 racks (& 2 mini cases) with all sorts of various modules, and have never bothered adding up current draw totals or requirements. i just put the mods in more or less logical relation to each other (oscillators -> mixers -> filters -> vcas; with envelopes, lfos & other whatnots placed where they happen to fit; the sequencer subsystem is in its own dedicated case), and have never had any problems, at least none i have ever noticed. guess i've been lucky! i probably should add things up at some point, just to make sure...

          ________________________________
          yeah, modulargrid made me aware of the problem, though it's not always correct with it's values so i advise anyone to double check figures...

          so for an individual who fears the power of electricity, the only way to get more power is to add in a A-100 DIY Kit #1?

          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, James Husted <james.husted@...> wrote:

          > This is where sites like http://www.modulargrid.netcome in handy. Lay out your planned modules and it will tell you power requirements and prices. It has nearly every maker out there.
          > -James
          >
          > On May 9, 2013, at 11:26 AM, analogmonster@... wrote:
          >
          > > Yeah i have 2 of the diy kit #1 doepfer psus in one 18 u case (ie 6 bus boards, 3 bus board per psu) and this is fine for me. Just means my modular rack uses 2 wall sockets not one now. But note that you need to calculate the total current draw on a module by module basis-stated by manufacturers-not just what would seem to fit the cabinet/rack size. It is best to add the total draw for positive and the total draw for negative together then add 10%. as soon as that approaches your max current draw you need to upgrade.

        • Martin Klang
          Message 4 of 12 , May 10, 2013
            On 10 May 2013, at 03:20, re_qu wrote:

            > so for an individual who fears the power of electricity, the only way to get more power is to add in a A-100 DIY Kit #1?

            an easy to install option is something like the TipTop uZeus (which is great, I've got two), or Acidlab POW (haven't tried it).
            Easy to move to where you need it, takes up a little bit of panel space tho.

            hth,

            /m
          • analogmonster@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 10, 2013
              In all honesty its a very good idea to add up as it is a potential fire risk, especially if youve got any wood involved in your cases. Yeah the #1 kit is fused, so you should be ok but I personally wouldnt take the risk.

              My personal power issues arose because i had not measured the current usage of some home built modules. Everything analog was fine, but my silent way modules and especially my cloud generator would randomly misbehave. Put all of my home made stuff in a suitcase rig for gigging and carefully calculated power requirements for what stayed in the home rack. My portable psu is my own design, similar to the tiptop range-linear psu ics with alot of stabilisation and filtering, i just have a single ic per bus board which should handle about 800mA which im unlikely to exceed per bus

              Message 6 of 12 , May 10, 2013
                +1 tiptop uzeus, probably the cheapest non diy way to get more power-about £70 in the uk.

                On 10 May 2013, at 09:27, Martin Klang <mars@...> wrote:

                > On 10 May 2013, at 03:20, re_qu wrote:
                >
                > > so for an individual who fears the power of electricity, the only way to get more power is to add in a A-100 DIY Kit #1?
                >
                > an easy to install option is something like the TipTop uZeus (which is great, I've got two), or Acidlab POW (haven't tried it).
                > Easy to move to where you need it, takes up a little bit of panel space tho.
                >
                > hth,
                >
                > /m

              • James Husted
                Message 7 of 12 , May 10, 2013
                  Take note that the uZeus is a switching power supply and the +12v on it is not exactly pure DC. Most modules won't pass this on but some do. I have two of them and both of mine show a waveform on a scope but I only hear it when I use the attenuated DC as a CV (like through a slide pot module).
                  -James

                  On May 10, 2013, at 8:27 AM, analogmonster@... wrote:

                  > +1 tiptop uzeus, probably the cheapest non diy way to get more power-about £70 in the uk.
                  >

                  > On 10 May 2013, at 09:27, Martin Klang <mars@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> On 10 May 2013, at 03:20, re_qu wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> so for an individual who fears the power of electricity, the only way to get more power is to add in a A-100 DIY Kit #1?
                  >>
                  >> an easy to install option is something like the TipTop uZeus (which is great, I've got two), or Acidlab POW (haven't tried it).
                  >> Easy to move to where you need it, takes up a little bit of panel space tho.
                  >>
                  >> hth,
                  >>
                  >> /m

                • ddoepfer
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 10, 2013
                    > Take note that the uZeus is a switching power supply and the +12v
                    > on it is not exactly pure DC. Most modules won't pass this on but
                    > some do. I have two of them and both of mine show a waveform on a
                    > scope but I only hear it when I use the attenuated DC as a CV
                    > (like through a slide pot module).
                    > -James

                    That's why we refrained so far from using switching power supplies. All our
                    tests with switching power supplies were not satisfying and we still use the
                    old-fashioned linear regulation technique in all our A-100 power supplies
                    (both A-100PSU2 and the supply of the DIY kit). If anybody is interested in
                    12V/5A switching power supplies we have some of them in our special list at
                    a very low price (much less than our purchase price, only Euro 25 each).