Re: [Doepfer_a100] A-190-2 as clock

  • Jim Credland
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2013
      On 3 May 2013, at 17:48, James Husted <james.husted@...> wrote:

      > Whenever I hear talk about "super tight clocking" and "MIDI timing errors" I am always amazed. I can't but think of live music and the fact that every live band you have EVER seen has had more timing error between players than probably any you have ever heard in MIDI. I know there is a want for timing perfection (to me a robotic perfection) but I often see a obsession to a perfection that it seems more often than not only the obsessor ever hears. Music doesn't need to be that perfect to me.

      It's kind of true, but as soon as you start trying to drop down nice repetitive dance grooves it becomes a major issue. It's fine to be out of time slightly, but the variation in timing is a nightmare. Ideally, with everything below 300Hz, you want things enormously aligned, otherwise a kick and a bass playing at the same time sound different from bar to bar�which can be ugly!

      Back before sample accurate timing we used to play a bunch of synths from Protools and then find the bar that worked best, record it and repeat it!

      Depends on the style of music though. Funky house is less fussy than techno, and if you're recording the blues it ain't a bit issue at all :)

    • christian ienni
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2013
        i forgot about the 4ms! thanks for reminding me!!
        (just what i need... MORE modules! ;-)

        Message 3 of 13 , May 6, 2013
          exactly. if you want robot-precision, you have to go through the extra effort to achieve it.
          my stuff tends to range from old style berlin school to abstract sound/noise collage, so it's not as much of an issue (or maybe i'm just lazy ;-)