decoding the bus on a A-154

  • James Husted
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2013
      I am thinking about making some modules and interfaces that will connect to and expand from the A-154 Enhanced Sequential controller module and need to know what is being transmitted on the pins of the ribbon connector that plugs into the A-155. Since the A-154 can drive more than one A-155 I assume more than just the clock and 3 address lines shown on the block diagram are being sent down the ribbon cable. I imagine a inhibit line is there too. If anyone can supply me with a pinout of this cable/header it would be much appreciated. I could reverse-engineer the thing but I haven't gotten my A-154 yet.

      I would like to make an interface that would allow controlling a pair of our PGM-4x4 Programmer/Sequencers and some future Synthwerks modules with a A-154. I would rather connect to the A-154 than make a competing module to do the same thing.
      -Thanks in advance!

      James Husted
      Designer, Synthwerks LLC
      www.synthwerks.com
      james@...
      synthwerks@...
    • ddoepfer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2013
        James,

        this is the pin-out of the connectors that connect the A-154 to the A-155:

        1: A2
        2: A1
        3: A0
        4: Clock
        5+6: +12V
        7+8: GND
        9+10: -12V

        This is the arrangement of the pin numbers:

        1 2
        3 4
        5 6
        7 8
        9 10

        Pay attention that the address signals and the clock signal have high level
        (0/+12V) because they have to drive CMOS circuits with 12V supply.
        The "inhibit" signal is "A3". This signal is not available at the 10 pin
        connector. It's a socket at the front panel of the A-154 because the A-155
        has no inhibit input (one has to use external VC switches for sequences
        longer than 8 steps). The A-155 module was designed in 1997 and at this time
        it was planned as a stand-alone unit without the need of an inhibit signal.
        The A-154 was released many years later in 2004.

      • James Husted
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2013
          Thank you Dieter! I was hoping you would respond. This is a great help.
          -James

          James Husted
          Designer, Synthwerks LLC
          www.synthwerks.com