Re: [Doepfer_a100] Dark Energy not responding to midi

  • Sean Dynan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
      I used to have a problem very like this with the Dark Energy MkI. At the risk of insulting your intelligence have you tried unplugging and reinserting the USB cable?

      --
      Sean
    • Robert Crouch
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
        Wow, thank you Dieter!

        --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

        > > I installed the glide kit to my Dark Energy a while ago and
        > > lately the internal midi-cv converter has been giving me
        > > problems. Every so often it just stops responding to any incoming
        > > midi signal, either through the USB or midi ports. I reinstalled
        > > the glide control and that seems to clear it up, and every so
        > > often I would have to remove and reinstall the thing to get the
        > > unit to respond to midi.
        > >
        > > Today it stopped responding at all, so to troubleshoot it I
        > > decided to remove the glide knob to see if maybe it's faulty. In
        > > order to install the glide I had to remove in internal jumper,
        > > and now I can't find it where I stored it. Does anyone know off
        > > hand what kind of jumper I need to buy?
        > >
        > > Also if this is not a case of a bad glide knob, is there any
        > > place in the US that can repair the unit or will it need to be
        > > sent back to Doepfer?
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance for the advice!
        >
        > Probably the potentiometer of the Glide Option is faulty. Please ask the
        > dealer where you purchased the Glide Option for a free replacement. We will
        > send a Glide Option for free to the dealer if he asks. Temporarily you may
        > use one of the unused jumpers of the Dark Energy to undo the glide function.
        > I'm quite sure that one of the other jumpers is not necessary. The document
        > on our website describes the function of all jumpers:
        >
        > http://www.doepfer.de/pdf/Dark_Energy_technical_information.pdf

      • Robert Crouch
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
          LOL no insult at all. Yes I tried that first and for a while it was helping. Yesterday not so much.

          :-(

          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Sean Dynan wrote:

          > I used to have a problem very like this with the Dark Energy MkI. At the risk of insulting your intelligence have you tried unplugging and reinserting the USB cable?
          >
          > --
          > Sean

        • Robert Crouch
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 21, 2013
            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1 10:02 AM
              Turns out it's not the glide option after all.

              I think I need to send it in for repair.

              :-(

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Crouch" wrote:

              > I installed the glide kit to my Dark Energy a while ago and lately the internal midi-cv converter has been giving me problems. Every so often it just stops responding to any incoming midi signal, either through the USB or midi ports. I reinstalled the glide control and that seems to clear it up, and every so often I would have to remove and reinstall the thing to get the unit to respond to midi.
              >
              > Today it stopped responding at all, so to troubleshoot it I decided to remove the glide knob to see if maybe it's faulty. In order to install the glide I had to remove in internal jumper, and now I can't find it where I stored it. Does anyone know off hand what kind of jumper I need to buy?
              >
              > Also if this is not a case of a bad glide knob, is there any place in the US that can repair the unit or will it need to be sent back to Doepfer?
              >
              > Thanks in advance for the advice!

            • ddoepfer
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4 12:54 AM
                Did you (re-)install a jumper to the pin header JP4 on the interface/supply
                board instead of the glide option ?

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4 11:12 AM
                  Yes I did. The problem is fairly consistent where it received midi fine until it's been plugged in for a while, then it just stops. I have to unplug it for anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes before it starts working again.

                  I should probably send it to Analogue Haven and have them look at it.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 5 12:38 AM
                    > Yes I did. The problem is fairly consistent where it received
                    > midi fine until it's been plugged in for a while, then it just
                    > stops. I have to unplug it for anywhere between 10 and 30 minutes
                    > before it starts working again.
                    >
                    > I should probably send it to Analogue Haven and have them look at it.

                    Yes, please return the unit for repair and add a short description of the
                    fault. Maybe it's a thermal problem.

                    Thank you
                    Dieter Doepfer
                  • Robert Crouch