Re: [Doepfer_a100] Question about daisy-chain of MIDI modules

  • David Kaiser
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
      I understand the intent of the standard "MIDI Thru' connector, but I am
      trying to follow an approach that requires less external gear.

      In this case, Doepfer has provided headers on the PCB (printed circuit
      board) on the backside of the modules, to allow you to daisy-chain
      multiple A-190-(2/3) interfaces together, thus replacing an external
      Thru cable with an internal wire. This approach is partially
      documented in the PDF's that I referenced.

      I will make the cable and test it myself and report back on how it works.

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2013
        Ah I was not aware of that! Classy!

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
          You may simply connect the "hot" midi output signal (i.e. not the GND pin)
          of the first module to the "hot" midi input of the second module. Connecting
          the GND is not required as the GND connection is made via the A-100 bus.
          That way the second module received the same Midi signal as the first module
          because the Midi output is nothing but Midi thru unless the "stack mode" is
          not used. Only the "stacked" Midi notes are missing at the Midi output.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 20, 2013
            Thank you Dieter! That is the confirmation that I was looking for.