Re: [Doepfer_a100] Question about daisy-chain of MIDI modules

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
      What you want is a Midi Thru connector. As I can see both the 190-2 and
      190-3 don't have a Thru connector.
      Best thing you can do is buy an active midi thru box like a Philip Rees or
      so. http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/thruunit.htm

    • anthony.box@talk21.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
        Regret to say Philip Rees stopped trading years ago. I still have one of their MIDI devices but recently changed over to MUTU.

        http://www.wizardwoodcraft.co.uk/

        Norfolk UK

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
          Sorry to hear that Philip Rees is out of business. But I think Kenton makes
          excellent stuff too.
          http://www.kentonuk.com/products/select/midi-utilsel.shtml

        • woof_dave
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
            I bought a Kenton Thru-5 MIDI thru unit a couple of weeks ago, and it does the job perfectly. Pretty good value too.

            Dave.

            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, achtung_999 <heinrich.himmelwasser@...> wrote:

            > Sorry to hear that Philip Rees is out of business. But I think Kenton makes
            > excellent stuff too.
            > http://www.kentonuk.com/products/select/midi-utilsel.shtml
            >

            > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM, <anthony.box@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Regret to say Philip Rees stopped trading years ago. I still have one of
            > > their MIDI devices but recently changed over to MUTU.
            > >

            > > http://www.wizardwoodcraft.co.uk/
            > >
            > > Norfolk UK

          • David Kaiser
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
              I understand the intent of the standard "MIDI Thru' connector, but I am
              trying to follow an approach that requires less external gear.

              In this case, Doepfer has provided headers on the PCB (printed circuit
              board) on the backside of the modules, to allow you to daisy-chain
              multiple A-190-(2/3) interfaces together, thus replacing an external
              Thru cable with an internal wire. This approach is partially
              documented in the PDF's that I referenced.

              I will make the cable and test it myself and report back on how it works.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2013
                Ah I was not aware of that! Classy!

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
                  You may simply connect the "hot" midi output signal (i.e. not the GND pin)
                  of the first module to the "hot" midi input of the second module. Connecting
                  the GND is not required as the GND connection is made via the A-100 bus.
                  That way the second module received the same Midi signal as the first module
                  because the Midi output is nothing but Midi thru unless the "stack mode" is
                  not used. Only the "stacked" Midi notes are missing at the Midi output.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 20, 2013
                    Thank you Dieter! That is the confirmation that I was looking for.