Question about daisy-chain of MIDI modules

  • David Kaiser
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
      I have a A-190-3 USB/Midi to CV interface
      (http://www.doepfer.de/a1903.htm), and recently picked up a A-190-2 Midi
      to CV interface (http://www.doepfer.de/a1902.htm) as well.

      I'm hoping to daisy-chain the serial MIDI data between the two modules,
      so I can use one MIDI (or USB) cable to my rack, train the 190-3 for one
      MIDI channel, and train the 190-2 for another MIDI channel, but only use
      a single MIDI cable as input to my rack for both modules.

      The Doepfer web site offers an 'excerpt' or single-page of the A-190-3
      manual (the "p13" PDF). It has two "jumpers" (dual pins), JP5 for MIDI
      OUT, and JP6 for MIDI In. And it looks that a 2-wire cable can be used
      for serial transfer like MIDI.

      In the PDF for the A-190-2, there is one jumper set, JP5, with only two
      pins. It is labeled for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.

      I'm assuming the serial data used in both devices is raw MIDI
      (transmit/receive) as you would see through signal analysis of a MIDI cable.

      Is there a recommended approach to use JP5 (MIDI OUT) from the A-190-3
      and lead it to only one pin of JP5 on the A-190-2 for MIDI IN purposes?

      In the A-190-3 PDF
      (http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A190_3_Manual_p13.pdf) one pin of each
      JP5 and JP6 is marked with a 'T' symbol, and this pin is soldered to the
      ground plane on the circuit board.

      Does the A-190-3 module tie the 'T'-marked pins of JP5/JP6 to frame
      ground through the A-100 System cable?

      Is the frame ground how to make up for the lack of the second wire on
      the A-190-2?

      I am going to try doing a one-wire daisy chain between the A-190-3 out
      to the A-190-2. Will it work? Has anyone confirmed this?

      Thanks for any help, and have a Happy New Year!

      David
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
        What you want is a Midi Thru connector. As I can see both the 190-2 and
        190-3 don't have a Thru connector.
        Best thing you can do is buy an active midi thru box like a Philip Rees or
        so. http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/thruunit.htm

      • anthony.box@talk21.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
          Regret to say Philip Rees stopped trading years ago. I still have one of their MIDI devices but recently changed over to MUTU.

          http://www.wizardwoodcraft.co.uk/

          Norfolk UK

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
            Sorry to hear that Philip Rees is out of business. But I think Kenton makes
            excellent stuff too.
            http://www.kentonuk.com/products/select/midi-utilsel.shtml

          • woof_dave
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
              I bought a Kenton Thru-5 MIDI thru unit a couple of weeks ago, and it does the job perfectly. Pretty good value too.

              Dave.

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, achtung_999 <heinrich.himmelwasser@...> wrote:

              > Sorry to hear that Philip Rees is out of business. But I think Kenton makes
              > excellent stuff too.
              > http://www.kentonuk.com/products/select/midi-utilsel.shtml
              >

              > On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM, <anthony.box@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Regret to say Philip Rees stopped trading years ago. I still have one of
              > > their MIDI devices but recently changed over to MUTU.
              > >

              > > http://www.wizardwoodcraft.co.uk/
              > >
              > > Norfolk UK

            • David Kaiser
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
                I understand the intent of the standard "MIDI Thru' connector, but I am
                trying to follow an approach that requires less external gear.

                In this case, Doepfer has provided headers on the PCB (printed circuit
                board) on the backside of the modules, to allow you to daisy-chain
                multiple A-190-(2/3) interfaces together, thus replacing an external
                Thru cable with an internal wire. This approach is partially
                documented in the PDF's that I referenced.

                I will make the cable and test it myself and report back on how it works.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2013
                  Ah I was not aware of that! Classy!

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2013
                    You may simply connect the "hot" midi output signal (i.e. not the GND pin)
                    of the first module to the "hot" midi input of the second module. Connecting
                    the GND is not required as the GND connection is made via the A-100 bus.
                    That way the second module received the same Midi signal as the first module
                    because the Midi output is nothing but Midi thru unless the "stack mode" is
                    not used. Only the "stacked" Midi notes are missing at the Midi output.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 20, 2013
                      Thank you Dieter! That is the confirmation that I was looking for.