Re: [Doepfer_a100] A-171-2 VCS

  • Geoff Coward
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 12, 2012
      One small question, would the polarizer controls be marked -5 to +5 rather than 0 to 10?

      Thanks.

      Geoff

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
        > One small question, would the polarizer controls be marked -5 to
        > +5 rather than 0 to 10?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Geoff

        I forgot to copy the latest version of the front panel layout to the website. Now the right one is online.

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
          > Dieter - could we have a feature which pre-empts the note you are about
          > to play and slides there in advance?
          >
          > thanks, J.

          The module is a copy of the Serge/CGS design. I don't know if this feature is included as we do not yet have a working unit available. We just started to draw the schematics and then the pcb layout will follow early next year. Maybe there are members who own the VCS and know details.

        • Marco Zambardi
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
            Hi!

            great module!

            i just would add a features so to use the trigger in as a gate in too and
            too keep the enveloped hold at its maximum till the gate is high; falling
            portion would start as the gate goes low.

            this will allow AR and ASR envelopes.

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
              that feature is already included in the functionality of the VCS.
              you just connect your gate signal to the 'audio' input of the VCS.

              Bakis

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
                How could a module 'know' what note you want to slide into? This is something that could be accomplished by a sequencer where to notes are in memory. You're asking for something like the TB303 sequencer's slide. Not really possible as far as I know.

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Dec 13, 2012, at 5:04 AM, <yahoo@...> wrote:

                > > Dieter - could we have a feature which pre-empts the note you are about
                > > to play and slides there in advance?
                > >
                > > thanks, J.
                >
                > The module is a copy of the Serge/CGS design. I don't know if this feature is included as we do not yet have a working unit available. We just started to draw the schematics and then the pcb layout will follow early next year. Maybe there are members who own the VCS and know details.

              • Zoë Blade
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
                  > How could a module 'know' what note you want to slide into? This is something that could be accomplished by a sequencer where to notes are in memory. You're asking for something like the TB303 sequencer's slide. Not really possible as far as I know.

                  Yeah, if it's a sincere question and not a joke, then you're right. It's the sequencer's job to change the pitch voltage pre-emptively while simultaneously sending a gate signal to the slew limiter to induce the sliding effect. Although I can't remember off the top of my head if the TB-303's sequencer actually does this or not. I suspect the slide might merely activate the slew limiter, slowing the transition to the next note, not from the previous one.

                  Hope that helps,
                  Zoë.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
                    Hello

                    perhaps he is thinking about something like the autoslide at the old
                    Roland SH-Series, which is a Decay-Envelope on the pitch-CV.

                    Florian

                    Am 13.12.2012 15:29, schrieb Jesse Buehler:
                    > How could a module 'know' what note you want to slide into? This is something that could be accomplished by a sequencer where to notes are in memory. You're asking for something like the TB303 sequencer's slide. Not really possible as far as I know.
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Dec 13, 2012, at 5:04 AM, <yahoo@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>> Dieter - could we have a feature which pre-empts the note you are about
                    >>> to play and slides there in advance?
                    >>>
                    >>> thanks, J.
                    >>
                    >> The module is a copy of the Serge/CGS design. I don't know if this feature is included as we do not yet have a working unit available. We just started to draw the schematics and then the pcb layout will follow early next year. Maybe there are members who own the VCS and know details.
                    >>
                    >> Best wishes
                    >> Dieter Doepfer
                  • sirolffoonav
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 13, 2012
                      Great news that the serge/cgs/doepfer vcs is coming through.

                      I'm using lots of DUSG's since long and have 2 front panel tips:
                      -groups switches and led to gain space for extra (feedback?) knob
                      or ergonomics.
                      -UP/DOWN pots next to each other and both cv pots next to each other too.

                      Years ago we exchanged mails about a second board of the doepfer
                      diy synth featuring this module (and a noise generator).
                      I think a diy synth board packed with vcs would be ideal!! (and
                      close to the serge diy idea)
                      Or a West coast inspired pcb with lpg, random, wave shaper,
                      envelop follower and a couple of vcs?

                      Curious to hear how wider availability (because of lower price)
                      of this multi function module will sound!

                      Best, Floris Vanhoof
                      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, <yahoo@...> wrote:

                      > As the negotiations with Serge and Ken Stone are nearly finished I decided
                      > to publish the preliminary info page about the planned module on our
                      > website:
                      >
                      > www.doepfer.de/a1712.htm
                      >
                      > Maybe we will add some features so that 3-position switches can be used
                      > (e.g. log/lin/exp instead of log/lin only and two different cycle modes).
                      > But these decisions depend upon the results with the first prototype which I
                      > expect in January 2013.

                    • Martin Fay
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 14, 2012
                        Bit of a late entry here, but there appears to be a choice between
                        including the cycle switch (not found on a stock STS DUSG) or a
                        bipolar output (present).

                        Cycle can be patch-programmed with a patch cord from Gate to Trigger,
                        then if Gate is used for anything else it would need to be mult-ed.

                        Bipolar can be patch-programmed using i.e. an offset/attenuator module.

                        Is this trade-off worth a poll at some point?

                        Martin

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On 12 Dec 2012, at 15:11, <yahoo@...> wrote:

                        > As the negotiations with Serge and Ken Stone are nearly finished I
                        > decided
                        > to publish the preliminary info page about the planned module on our
                        > website:
                        >
                        > www.doepfer.de/a1712.htm
                        >
                        > Maybe we will add some features so that 3-position switches can be
                        > used
                        > (e.g. log/lin/exp instead of log/lin only and two different cycle
                        > modes).
                        > But these decisions depend upon the results with the first prototype
                        > which I
                        > expect in January 2013.

                      • Jim Credland
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 14, 2012
                          Sorry, it was only half serious. Very dry humour on my part.

                          It's a good question though in other ways if not strictly relevant for this thread. Both predictive synthesis for live playing and (easier and tighter) emulating it in tools like csound is quite interesting ... effects and changes that happen before the main note comes in. The noise of a note being prepared...

                          I hadn't realised the TB303 sequencer operated like that though. I could never afford one when I wanted one (and now I have a modular, I don't want one!)

                          On 13 Dec 2012, at 15:11, Florian Anwander wrote:

                          > Hello
                          >
                          > perhaps he is thinking about something like the autoslide at the old
                          > Roland SH-Series, which is a Decay-Envelope on the pitch-CV.
                          >
                          > Florian
                          >
                          > Am 13.12.2012 15:29, schrieb Jesse Buehler:
                          > > How could a module 'know' what note you want to slide into? This is something that could be accomplished by a sequencer where to notes are in memory. You're asking for something like the TB303 sequencer's slide. Not really possible as far as I know.
                          > >
                          > > Sent from my iPhone

                          > >> The module is a copy of the Serge/CGS design. I don't know if this feature is included as we do not yet have a working unit available. We just started to draw the schematics and then the pcb layout will follow early next year. Maybe there are members who own the VCS and know details.
                          > >>
                          > >> Best wishes
                          > >> Dieter Doepfer

                        • Zoë Blade
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 14, 2012
                            Ah, yes, csound can predict which note's coming up next because it's rendering a score, so it can just look ahead as if it's seeing the future. This is kinda confusing when you first start using it, as (if I remember correctly) the envelop generators take into account when the note off signal will occur, before it's happened. Nice enough for academic theory, but I do like doing everything in real time. :)

                            The TB-303's sequencer, or rather the concept of a digital step sequencer with accent and slide in general, is a really good one, especially in a modular context so you get to choose the filter, what the accent controls (eg toggling high and lowpass outputs of a multimode filter using a VC switch), and so on. Hence my partner and I are building a digital step sequencer to use with my A-100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiV_uZcucrQ

                            Anyway, the fun joking question has some interesting serious answers. :D

                            All the best,
                            Zoë.
                          • Jesse Buehler
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 14, 2012
                              I say keep the switches. I don't have th on my quad slope but I really, really wish it did! I'd rather an offset/attenuator for the far fewer times I've used bipolar outs.

                              Ymmv of course.

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 14, 2012
                                Regarding the bipolar attenuators. Could I humbly suggest 'center detent'
                                pots?

                                Ernst