Re: [Doepfer_a100] Latest info from Dieter about new / forthcoming A100 modules!

  • Martin Klang
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 23, 2012
      On 23 Nov 2012, at 14:24, Florian Anwander wrote:

      > The Mungo-Sync feeds the clock through to the slave and
      > awaits the start command from the master. Now you press start at the
      > master. The MungoSync feed this start-command forward tot the slave
      > (which starts too), and now the Mungosync starts counting bars. He
      > always knows where in the bar the system is.

      How does it know how many clocks are in a bar?

      Midi clocks are 24 pulses per quarter note (ppqn) but no time signature information is transmitted.

      /m
    • mark
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 23, 2012
        A180-2, yes please....

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 23, 2012
          Hello Martin

          On 23.11.12 20:09 , Martin Klang wrote:
          > How does it know how many clocks are in a bar?
          > Midi clocks are 24 pulses per quarter note (ppqn) but no time signature information is transmitted.
          fair objection. The original Mungo-Sync and the shufflebox work only for
          4/4-signatures. Of course music consists of other signatures too ;-).
          But also the A190-8 thinks in 4/4: The lowest clock output is 1 tick per
          (4/4-)bar.

          Maybe one should think about a separate module, which achieves this
          sync-start-function. In such a separate module a selector for various
          signatures could be established.

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
            > A180-2, yes please....

            It will be manufactured definitely. I think it will be available early next
            year. It took not much time to modify the pc board but it will take some
            time until the new front panels and pc boards are available and the first
            modules are produced.

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
              Hi Florian,

              I think we will replace the top right socket (Start) by a momentary switch
              and change the direction of socket below the socket to input (instead of
              output). The function of the remaining output sockets could follow the
              results of an upcoming poll. There are also 3 internal jumpers. One is
              already reserved for the output voltage levels (+5V/+12V). The remaining two
              jumpers could be used e.g. to define the clock divider of one or two sockets
              (e.g. 8/16). But the problem is that the front panel printing will not
              change with the jumper setting :-) So the best conception would be to find a
              solution that satisfies most users.

              These functions are essential to control some A-100 modules (e.g. A-155 or
              A-154)

              * Start
              * Stop
              * Reset
              * Clock (32 or 16 or 8 or ...)

              These two outputs are required for applications with Roland DIN Sync
              (potentially with a special cable 2x3.5 -> DIN):

              * Start/Stop (or reverse),
              * Clock 96, required for applications with Roland DIN Sync

              And it's a good idea to have the "1" signal:

              * Measure start (1)

              Then 2 sockets are left for clock outputs, e.g. 32/16 or 16/8. Another
              version would be only one clock output and a three-position switch for
              32/16/8. But then only one clock output is available. If other clocks are
              required the A-160 or A-161 may be used.

              Best wishes
              Dieter

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                Hello Dieter

                > (e.g. 8/16). But the problem is that the front panel printing will not
                > change with the jumper setting :-)
                Simply name them "Clock I" and "Clock II".

                Here my suggestion:

                Left row:
                * start/stop gate-out
                * start trigger-out
                * stop trigger-out
                * reset trigger-out
                * Measure 1-out

                Right row:
                * start/stop button (synchro-start function)
                * start/stop trigger-In (synchro-start function)
                * clock 96-out
                * clock I-out
                * clock II-out

                The division factor for Clock I and II can be set by jumpers.

                It would be great to have some of the signals on a 10 pin pinhead
                connector on the pcb (Start/Stop, reset, 96th, 16th, measure-1). One
                could use it as an internal bus for additional modules like downward
                counters/dividers (also for uneven divisions), which again could serve
                as address counters for trigger sequencers....

                (I started think about something like that some time ago, but did not
                get on with it...
                http://fa.utfs.org/diy/triggersequencer/sequencer_rough.png)

                Florian

                --
                http://fa.utfs.org/
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                  the layout Florian Suggests seems great to me.

                  (the only thing is that you would have to remember what divisions are the Clock I and Clock II outputs, as these are set by jumpers. but you can't have everything.)

                  Bakis

                  ________________________________

                  --
                  http://fa.utfs.org/

                • Os
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                    > If there are sufficient inquiries we may offer a special cable with two 3.5 jack plugs on one side
                    > and a DIN plug on the other."

                    Like these?
                    http://postmodular.co.uk/expert-sleepers/dj-1200-dinsync3-5mm-jack

                    :)

                    os.

                    os@...
                    http://twitter.com/expertsleepers
                    http://www.darkroomtheband.net/
                    http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                      > > If there are sufficient inquiries we may offer a special cable
                      > with two 3.5 jack plugs on one side
                      > > and a DIN plug on the other."
                      >
                      > Like these?
                      > http://postmodular.co.uk/expert-sleepers/dj-1200-dinsync3-5mm-jack
                      >
                      > :)
                      >
                      > os.

                      Exactly. And £5.52 is an excellent price. I have no idea how they can make
                      this price because it probably does not cover the working time and spare
                      part charges.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                        > the layout Florian Suggests seems great to me.
                        >
                        > (the only thing is that you would have to remember what divisions
                        > are the Clock I and Clock II outputs, as these are set by
                        > jumpers. but you can't have everything.)
                        >
                        > Bakis

                        information about version 2 of the planned A-190-8 is now on our website
                        (www.doepfer.de/A1908.htm)

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                          Hello Dieter

                          Am 27.11.2012 15:58, schrieb yahoo@...:
                          > information about version 2 of the planned A-190-8 is now on our website
                          > (www.doepfer.de/A1908.htm)
                          It is missing now the Start/Stop-Gate, which you would need for DIN-Sync.

                          http://fa.utfs.org/
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                            > Hello Dieter
                            >
                            > Am 27.11.2012 15:58, schrieb yahoo@...:
                            > > information about version 2 of the planned A-190-8 is now on our website
                            > > (www.doepfer.de/A1908.htm)
                            > It is missing now the Start/Stop-Gate, which you would need for DIN-Sync.
                            >

                            > Florian

                            No. For the start output one can choose the pulse or gate mode. Look at the
                            words on the info page.

                            Dieter
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                              Hi Dieter

                              > Look at the words on the info page.
                              As you know I am a simple structured person. I am reacting on pictures
                              only ;-))))

                              nope: The description reads like a perfect device. You should do this as
                              a standalone unit with a DIN-Socket for the DIN-Sync out too! Call it
                              MSY3 :)

                              http://fa.utfs.org/
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                                > Hi Dieter
                                >
                                > > Look at the words on the info page.
                                > As you know I am a simple structured person. I am reacting on pictures
                                > only ;-))))

                                I discovered that whithin the A-100 there is no difference between a "pure"
                                start signal (short pulse) and the "gated" start/stop because only the
                                rising edge of the start signal is used in combination with A-155 or A-154.
                                So there is no need for a separate start socket (short pulse only) and the
                                "gated" start/stop socket. The gated start/stop can be used for both A-100
                                and DIN Sync.

                                > nope: The description reads like a perfect device. You should do this as
                                > a standalone unit with a DIN-Socket for the DIN-Sync out too! Call it
                                > MSY3 :)

                                Maybe. But the pcb board has to be redesigned because of the adaption to the
                                stand alone version (built in power supply and arrangement of the sockets
                                and controls).

                                Have a nice evening
                                Dieter
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                                  great device!!! i will need one for sure!!

                                  the suggestion from Florian for the synced button, and gate input, makes it really special!

                                  Bakis