Re: AW: [Doepfer_a100] Latest info from Dieter about new / forthcoming A100 modules!

    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 23, 2012
      i certainly agree with Florian about this function.

      this would make the module quite unique in the Doepfer module range.

      a button and a socket would be much much greater!

      i am already thinking of nice complex sequencing patches using this 'bar-synced start/stop' socket.    :D

      Bakis

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 23, 2012
        On 23 Nov 2012, at 14:24, Florian Anwander wrote:

        > The Mungo-Sync feeds the clock through to the slave and
        > awaits the start command from the master. Now you press start at the
        > master. The MungoSync feed this start-command forward tot the slave
        > (which starts too), and now the Mungosync starts counting bars. He
        > always knows where in the bar the system is.

        How does it know how many clocks are in a bar?

        Midi clocks are 24 pulses per quarter note (ppqn) but no time signature information is transmitted.

        /m
      • mark
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 23, 2012
          A180-2, yes please....

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 23, 2012
            Hello Martin

            On 23.11.12 20:09 , Martin Klang wrote:
            > How does it know how many clocks are in a bar?
            > Midi clocks are 24 pulses per quarter note (ppqn) but no time signature information is transmitted.
            fair objection. The original Mungo-Sync and the shufflebox work only for
            4/4-signatures. Of course music consists of other signatures too ;-).
            But also the A190-8 thinks in 4/4: The lowest clock output is 1 tick per
            (4/4-)bar.

            Maybe one should think about a separate module, which achieves this
            sync-start-function. In such a separate module a selector for various
            signatures could be established.

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
              > A180-2, yes please....

              It will be manufactured definitely. I think it will be available early next
              year. It took not much time to modify the pc board but it will take some
              time until the new front panels and pc boards are available and the first
              modules are produced.

              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                Hi Florian,

                I think we will replace the top right socket (Start) by a momentary switch
                and change the direction of socket below the socket to input (instead of
                output). The function of the remaining output sockets could follow the
                results of an upcoming poll. There are also 3 internal jumpers. One is
                already reserved for the output voltage levels (+5V/+12V). The remaining two
                jumpers could be used e.g. to define the clock divider of one or two sockets
                (e.g. 8/16). But the problem is that the front panel printing will not
                change with the jumper setting :-) So the best conception would be to find a
                solution that satisfies most users.

                These functions are essential to control some A-100 modules (e.g. A-155 or
                A-154)

                * Start
                * Stop
                * Reset
                * Clock (32 or 16 or 8 or ...)

                These two outputs are required for applications with Roland DIN Sync
                (potentially with a special cable 2x3.5 -> DIN):

                * Start/Stop (or reverse),
                * Clock 96, required for applications with Roland DIN Sync

                And it's a good idea to have the "1" signal:

                * Measure start (1)

                Then 2 sockets are left for clock outputs, e.g. 32/16 or 16/8. Another
                version would be only one clock output and a three-position switch for
                32/16/8. But then only one clock output is available. If other clocks are
                required the A-160 or A-161 may be used.

                Best wishes
                Dieter

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                  Hello Dieter

                  > (e.g. 8/16). But the problem is that the front panel printing will not
                  > change with the jumper setting :-)
                  Simply name them "Clock I" and "Clock II".

                  Here my suggestion:

                  Left row:
                  * start/stop gate-out
                  * start trigger-out
                  * stop trigger-out
                  * reset trigger-out
                  * Measure 1-out

                  Right row:
                  * start/stop button (synchro-start function)
                  * start/stop trigger-In (synchro-start function)
                  * clock 96-out
                  * clock I-out
                  * clock II-out

                  The division factor for Clock I and II can be set by jumpers.

                  It would be great to have some of the signals on a 10 pin pinhead
                  connector on the pcb (Start/Stop, reset, 96th, 16th, measure-1). One
                  could use it as an internal bus for additional modules like downward
                  counters/dividers (also for uneven divisions), which again could serve
                  as address counters for trigger sequencers....

                  (I started think about something like that some time ago, but did not
                  get on with it...
                  http://fa.utfs.org/diy/triggersequencer/sequencer_rough.png)

                  Florian

                  --
                  http://fa.utfs.org/
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                    the layout Florian Suggests seems great to me.

                    (the only thing is that you would have to remember what divisions are the Clock I and Clock II outputs, as these are set by jumpers. but you can't have everything.)

                    Bakis

                    ________________________________

                    --
                    http://fa.utfs.org/

                  • Os
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                      > If there are sufficient inquiries we may offer a special cable with two 3.5 jack plugs on one side
                      > and a DIN plug on the other."

                      Like these?
                      http://postmodular.co.uk/expert-sleepers/dj-1200-dinsync3-5mm-jack

                      :)

                      os.

                      os@...
                      http://twitter.com/expertsleepers
                      http://www.darkroomtheband.net/
                      http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 26, 2012
                        > > If there are sufficient inquiries we may offer a special cable
                        > with two 3.5 jack plugs on one side
                        > > and a DIN plug on the other."
                        >
                        > Like these?
                        > http://postmodular.co.uk/expert-sleepers/dj-1200-dinsync3-5mm-jack
                        >
                        > :)
                        >
                        > os.

                        Exactly. And £5.52 is an excellent price. I have no idea how they can make
                        this price because it probably does not cover the working time and spare
                        part charges.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                          > the layout Florian Suggests seems great to me.
                          >
                          > (the only thing is that you would have to remember what divisions
                          > are the Clock I and Clock II outputs, as these are set by
                          > jumpers. but you can't have everything.)
                          >
                          > Bakis

                          information about version 2 of the planned A-190-8 is now on our website
                          (www.doepfer.de/A1908.htm)

                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                            Hello Dieter

                            Am 27.11.2012 15:58, schrieb yahoo@...:
                            > information about version 2 of the planned A-190-8 is now on our website
                            > (www.doepfer.de/A1908.htm)
                            It is missing now the Start/Stop-Gate, which you would need for DIN-Sync.

                            http://fa.utfs.org/
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                              > Hello Dieter
                              >
                              > Am 27.11.2012 15:58, schrieb yahoo@...:
                              > > information about version 2 of the planned A-190-8 is now on our website
                              > > (www.doepfer.de/A1908.htm)
                              > It is missing now the Start/Stop-Gate, which you would need for DIN-Sync.
                              >

                              > Florian

                              No. For the start output one can choose the pulse or gate mode. Look at the
                              words on the info page.

                              Dieter
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                                Hi Dieter

                                > Look at the words on the info page.
                                As you know I am a simple structured person. I am reacting on pictures
                                only ;-))))

                                nope: The description reads like a perfect device. You should do this as
                                a standalone unit with a DIN-Socket for the DIN-Sync out too! Call it
                                MSY3 :)

                                http://fa.utfs.org/
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                                  > Hi Dieter
                                  >
                                  > > Look at the words on the info page.
                                  > As you know I am a simple structured person. I am reacting on pictures
                                  > only ;-))))

                                  I discovered that whithin the A-100 there is no difference between a "pure"
                                  start signal (short pulse) and the "gated" start/stop because only the
                                  rising edge of the start signal is used in combination with A-155 or A-154.
                                  So there is no need for a separate start socket (short pulse only) and the
                                  "gated" start/stop socket. The gated start/stop can be used for both A-100
                                  and DIN Sync.

                                  > nope: The description reads like a perfect device. You should do this as
                                  > a standalone unit with a DIN-Socket for the DIN-Sync out too! Call it
                                  > MSY3 :)

                                  Maybe. But the pcb board has to be redesigned because of the adaption to the
                                  stand alone version (built in power supply and arrangement of the sockets
                                  and controls).

                                  Have a nice evening
                                  Dieter
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 27, 2012
                                    great device!!! i will need one for sure!!

                                    the suggestion from Florian for the synced button, and gate input, makes it really special!

                                    Bakis