AW: [Doepfer_a100] Re: My Doepfer is sick :-(

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
      That's really very strange and I have no simple explanation for this
      behaviour.

      Please double check if you use the correct fuse (maybe with the last modules
      the total current goes beyond the fuse value). Especially pay attention that
      a time lag fuse (slow blow) with the correct value has to be used.

      If the fuse value and type are correct: remove some of the other modules and
      install one the A-140 to see if indeed the A-140 causes the problem. As you
      already mentioned it woul be very odd if both A-140 are faulty (but who
      knows ....)

    • David
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
        I have an idea to install another type of module in its place (once I get more fuses), to see if it boots up. If it does, the modules are the problem. If not, then there's a problem with the power rail. I assure you that the total amperage is below 650Ma. And the fuses are 250 MA, 250V slo-blo 5x20mm.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
          Are you sure that your case contains the old power supply ? The old power
          supply is out of procuction since about 10 years. If the new supply
          (A-100PSU2) is built into the case an 800 mA fuse is required.

        • David
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
            I have another case, and I have the same 250MA fuse in that one, which has performed perfectly.

            I got my modular around 10 years ago...so I don't know if it's the older the new. Is there any code on the casing that would tell me?

            If it is the old style, would an 800mA fuse hurt? Also, if it is a 250MA fuse, is it REQUIRED to be slow-blow?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
              Hello David

              > I got my modular around 10 years ago...so I don't know if it's the
              > older the new. Is there any code on the casing that would tell me?
              have a look in the case.

              An old supply has a black or blue rectangular transformer.
              http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100nt.gif

              the new ones have a round silver transformer:
              http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/A100_PSU2.gif

              > If it is the old style, would an 800mA fuse hurt?
              If there is a failure, which should blow the fuse, then fuse will blow
              later, means at higher currents which might damage the transformer.

              Florian
            • David
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2012
                Thanks for the information. I discovered the problem, however....I was quite lucky to do so.

                Turns out that one of the receptacles on the power rail was defective, so whatever was plugged into it appeared to be defective, since the mere connection to this receptacle would cause the fuse to blow. So, I covered it over with a piece of duct tape, and plugged the A-140 into another receptacle. Everything is fine now.

                Thank you for all your help!