Re: [Doepfer_a100] Piggyback 3.5 mono patch cables

  • Mark Pulver
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 29 3:35 PM
      Wonderful product!

      -----

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
        Am 01.03.2012 00:35, schrieb Mark Pulver:
        > Wonderful product!
        You will say that until the moment that such a cable cranks the contacts
        out of the socket.
        The sockets are not made to stand the lever forces caused by such a long
        "plug". I definitely advise against the usage of adaptors and piggyback
        plugs in jack sockets. You can do this with banana jacks (they are
        constructed for that), but don't do it with 3.5mm or 6.3mm audio jacks.
      • the_real_dripfeed
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012

          --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Mark Pulver <mark@...> wrote:
          > Wonderful product!

          Expensive though. :( And TipTop owns the patent so we might not see cheaper clones from other manufacturers.

          Personally speaking I don't think you could stack more than two of those plugs on a vertically mounted module without putting undue strain on the 3.5 mm socket, in which case a Y-cable would probably serve better.

          Opinions?

          --
          drip.feed
        • james.husted@mac.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2012
            I agree with the fears of putting too much strain on the sockets. I get away from this problem by using the cheaper and just as flexible solution of using a Y-cord. I make mine myself. Just get your longest patch cord and cut it in half. Connect the cut ends to one male plug and there you have it. If you want to stack more than two connections, make a y-cord with one male connected to a long male and a shorter female. They can be chained in many ways and can extend the length of the cables too. The angle and strain of the connection to the panel is still only one plug.

            -James