How to recreate Dark Energy using Euro modules

  • the_real_dripfeed
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
      I miss my Dark Energy, which I traded for some Euro modules as I was growing my new modular rack. And it got me thinking:

      What modules would I need to recreate a Dark Energy (and don't say A-111-5...that's cheating)?

      It's trickier than it sounds because I'm not sure which Doepfer filter is the same as the one on the Dark Energy. Also, the DE filter had linear and exponential FM.
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
        if you really want to exactly recreate the dark energy sound and feel.... go for the A111-5....

        Bakis

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
          > if you really want to exactly recreate the dark energy sound and
          > feel.... go for the A111-5....
          >

          > Bakis

          Exactly. Especially because of the linear filter FM. There is no A-100 VCF available that offers this feature. And even the VCO and VCA are unique. The VCO is close to the A-111-1, but there is no A-100 VCA module available with the combined linear/exponential response of the Dark Energy/A-111-5 VCA.

          Though it has strictly speaking nothing to do with the A-100: The Dark Energy will be discontinued as the CEM3394 is no longer available and the negotiations with the manufacturer (OnChip, the Curtis Electromusic successor) concerning a new productions series of the CEM3394 were not successful so far. We think about a redesign of the unit (Dark Energy II) but it will be another instrument with a different sound and features (e.g. probably a 12 dB multimode filter with lowpass, highpass, bandpass and notch instead of the 24 dB lowpass).

        • the_real_dripfeed
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
            --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > > if you really want to exactly recreate the dark energy sound and
            > > feel.... go for the A111-5....
            > >

            > > Bakis
            >
            > Exactly. Especially because of the linear filter FM. There is no A-100 VCF
            > available that offers this feature. And even the VCO and VCA are unique. The
            > VCO is close to the A-111-1, but there is no A-100 VCA module available with
            > the combined linear/exponential response of the Dark Energy/A-111-5 VCA.
            >
            > Though it has strictly speaking nothing to do with the A-100: The Dark Energy
            > will be discontinued as the CEM3394 is no longer available and the negotiations
            > with the manufacturer (OnChip, the Curtis Electromusic successor) concerning a
            > new productions series of the CEM3394 were not successful so far. We think about
            > a redesign of the unit (Dark Energy II) but it will be another instrument with a
            > different sound and features (e.g. probably a 12 dB multimode filter with
            > lowpass, highpass, bandpass and notch instead of the 24 dB lowpass).

            Put a keyboard on it Dieter, and you would rule the world (like the Arturia Minibrute is just about to do).

            Out of interest, what were the knobs you used on the Dark Energy? I really liked them.
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
              Hello

              > Put a keyboard on it Dieter, and you would rule the world.
              +1
              Absolutely. And if you clone the SH101 sequencer for it too, you would
              rule the universe.

              > (e.g. probably a 12 dB multimode filter with
              > lowpass, highpass, bandpass and notch instead of the 24 dB lowpass)
              btw: Until now all filters where some kind of "clones" (ok, the CEM3320
              filters where mostly the circuit suggested in the datasheet examples).

              I think it might be cool to have two dedicated Doepfer Filters.
              A 12dB state variable filter (which already exist with the DIY synth),
              and a 24dB OTA-based four stage filter, built with available components
              like LM137000. The basic 4-stage circuit could be used in a high pass or
              low pass filter (similar to the CEM3320 and or the roland IR3109).

              Florian
            • james.husted@mac.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                On Feb 6, 2012, at 2:38 AM, yahoo@... wrote:

                > Though it has strictly speaking nothing to do with the A-100: The Dark Energy will be discontinued as the CEM3394 is no longer available and the negotiations with the manufacturer (OnChip, the Curtis Electromusic successor) concerning a new productions series of the CEM3394 were not successful so far. We think about a redesign of the unit (Dark Energy II) but it will be another instrument with a different sound and features (e.g. probably a 12 dB multimode filter with lowpass, highpass, bandpass and notch instead of the 24 dB lowpass).

                Does the A-111-5 also use the CEM3394? Does that mean it also will be discontinued?

                -James

                James Husted
                Designer, Synthwerks LLC
                www.synthwerks.com
                james@...
                synthwerks@...
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 6, 2012
                  Am 06.02.2012 17:17, schrieb james.husted@...:
                  > Does the A-111-5 also use the CEM3394?
                  Yes

                  > Does that mean it also will be discontinued?
                  Assumingly yes.
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 7, 2012
                    > Does the A-111-5 also use the CEM3394? Does that mean it also
                    > will be discontinued?
                    >
                    > -James

                    Yes, the A-111-5 uses also the CEM3394 and will be discontinued. But as we
                    miscalculated the relation of the Dark Energy/A-111-5 sales the A-111-5
                    stock will last much longer than the Dark Energy stock. I expect that the
                    Dark Energy will be sold out in 2-3 months, but I suppose that the A-111-5
                    stock will last one year or even longer.

                  • zzzyzx23
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 9, 2012
                      Does this discontinuation of the CEM chip also affect the DIY analog synthesizer kit?

                      Thanks.

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 10, 2012
                        > Does this discontinuation of the CEM chip also affect the DIY
                        > analog synthesizer kit?
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > Geoff

                        No the DIY Synth has been developed based on circuits which are currently in
                        production. We will probably use parts of the DIY Synth circuit (e.g. the
                        multimode VCF) for the Dark Energy redesign (Dark Energy II).

                      • Geoff Coward
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 12, 2012
                          Thanks for the information - that's good news.

                          DE II with that multi-mode filter sounds very interesting!

                          Especially if it has VC over the resonance … :)

                          Geoff

                          ________________________________
                          > Does this discontinuation of the CEM chip also affect the DIY
                          > analog synthesizer kit?
                          >
                          > Thanks.
                          >
                          > Geoff

                          No the DIY Synth has been developed based on circuits which are currently in
                          production. We will probably use parts of the DIY Synth circuit (e.g. the
                          multimode VCF) for the Dark Energy redesign (Dark Energy II).

                        • Monroe Eskew
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 13, 2012
                            Looks like the DE1 will be quite a collector's item with its unique features and accurate vco. I'm glad to have one.

                            Monroe

                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                              > Looks like the DE1 will be quite a collector's item with its
                              > unique features and accurate vco. I'm glad to have one.
                              >
                              > Monroe

                              Exactly. All DE1 that still can be manufactured are already pre-ordered
                              (still ~ 220 units can be produced). But there is a small chance that the
                              DE1 will rise from the dead later. Onchip promised that they will
                              manufacture the CEM3394 for us again in the future but they could not tell
                              us a binding delivery date as they are still about to adapt the CEM3394 for
                              today's production process. A rough estimate was that it will take at least
                              one year until the CEM3394 is available again. That's why we decided to
                              develop the DE2.

                            • the_real_dripfeed
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, <yahoo@...> wrote:

                                > > Looks like the DE1 will be quite a collector's item with its
                                > > unique features and accurate vco. I'm glad to have one.
                                > >
                                > > Monroe
                                >
                                > Exactly. All DE1 that still can be manufactured are already pre-ordered
                                > (still ~ 220 units can be produced). But there is a small chance that the
                                > DE1 will rise from the dead later. Onchip promised that they will
                                > manufacture the CEM3394 for us again in the future but they could not tell
                                > us a binding delivery date as they are still about to adapt the CEM3394 for
                                > today's production process. A rough estimate was that it will take at least
                                > one year until the CEM3394 is available again. That's why we decided to
                                > develop the DE2.

                                Hi Dieter

                                I have to ask as a former owner of a Dark Energy (the little beauty that got me into modular in the first place)...can you tell us anything about the DE2? Features, timescales, design..?
                              • istari
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                  hi

                                  i just checked the upcoming module page and this link is wrong:
                                  A-143-6 Multiple Synced VC LFO

                                  it goes to: http://www.doepfer.de/a1434.htm

                                  is there allready some more infos about this lfo?

                                  best
                                  felix

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                    > Hi Dieter
                                    >
                                    > I have to ask as a former owner of a Dark Energy (the little
                                    > beauty that got me into modular in the first place)...can you
                                    > tell us anything about the DE2? Features, timescales, design..?

                                    It's already on our website (link in the Musikmesse Frankfurt announcement
                                    on the news page).

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                      > hi
                                      >
                                      > i just checked the upcoming module page and this link is wrong:
                                      > A-143-6 Multiple Synced VC LFO
                                      >
                                      > it goes to: http://www.doepfer.de/a1434.htm
                                      >
                                      > is there allready some more infos about this lfo?
                                      >
                                      > best
                                      > felix

                                      I'll correct the link. The project has been stopped as we found that the
                                      planned processor is much too slow for this job. And at the moment there are
                                      too many other projects that have to be finished (Dark Energy II, A-192-2,
                                      A-190-5, Miniature Schaltwerk, A-100 Sync module, and some more). I don't
                                      think that we will be able to continue with this module in the near future.
                                      But it's not off the stove.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                        Am 14.03.2012 14:13, schrieb istari:

                                        > i just checked the upcoming module page and this link is wrong:
                                        > A-143-6 Multiple Synced VC LFO
                                        >
                                        > it goes to: http://www.doepfer.de/a1434.htm
                                        Try
                                        http://www.doepfer.de/a1436.htm

                                        btw: I don't see the need for such a module. There are LFOs with a reset
                                        input

                                        In fact I really desire ;-) a true clock synced LFO. This would be
                                        basically a PIC/CPU based digital module:

                                        Reads clock (MIDI-Clock or other analogue 24ticks/quarter clock like
                                        DIN-Sync).
                                        The clock reads out waveforms from a memory.
                                        Various division factors can be selected for the ratio clock/lfo cycle.
                                        The CPU calculates a speed dependent CV, which again controls a vc slew
                                        limiter, which smoothes the steps in the digital provided waveforms.

                                        Florian
                                      • Jim Credland
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                          Dieter, which processor were you using ?

                                          Cheers, j.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                            Am 14.03.2012 16:32, schrieb Jim Credland:
                                            > Dieter, which processor were you using ?
                                            I think the problem is not, that there wouldn't be a fast enough processor.
                                            The problem is, that including a new processor into a production process
                                            (development tools, testing environments, learning time for the
                                            developer, etc...) requires quite a lot of financial effort for a small
                                            company like Doepfer.
                                            If such a company decides to invest in one processor type, then all
                                            forthcoming processor based products should be implemented with this
                                            processor for a certain time. Otherwise there wouldn't be a return of
                                            investment.

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012

                                              I'll have to ask Christian. So far the module was only in the planning stage
                                              (not yet a prototype). As far as I remember it was an ARM or PIC (no DSP).

                                            • Jim Credland
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                                Thanks! I am planning something which would need similar power. The design is sitting on the computer here waiting for me to double check the schematic. You've worried me now about an assumption I am making about the dspic I've chosen. I might need to do some more testing :)

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                                  btw, please, do release the A100 Mini-Schaltwerk module!

                                                  Bakis

                                                  ________________________________
                                                  > i just checked the upcoming module page and this link is wrong:
                                                  > A-143-6 Multiple Synced VC LFO
                                                  >
                                                  > it goes to: http://www.doepfer.de/a1434.htm
                                                  >
                                                  > is there allready some more infos about this lfo?
                                                  >
                                                  > best
                                                  > felix

                                                  I'll correct the link. The project has been stopped as we found that the
                                                  planned processor is much too slow for this job. And at the moment there are
                                                  too many other projects that have to be finished (Dark Energy II, A-192-2,
                                                  A-190-5, Miniature Schaltwerk, A-100 Sync module, and some more). I don't
                                                  think that we will be able to continue with this module in the near future.
                                                  But it's not off the stove.

                                                • NetPierre
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                                    Mini Schaltwerk... ?
                                                    Is that what most of us know as the the a-157 ?

                                                    Pierre Serné / PatchPierre / NetPierre

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                                      i used that (a prototype of course) two years ago, when me and Ingo were preparing some tracks for our second Interconnected album and its a real gem to play. simple, but very very effective.

                                                      Bakis Sirros
                                                      www. parallel - worlds - music. com
                                                      www. facebook. com/ pages/Parallel-Worlds/192093934136476
                                                      www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic
                                                      www. myspace. com/ memorygeist
                                                      www. DiN. org. uk
                                                      www. vu-us. com

                                                      ________________________________
                                                      Is that what most of us know as the the a-157 ?

                                                      Pierre Serné / PatchPierre / NetPierre

                                                      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Bakis Sirros <synth_freak_2000@...> wrote:

                                                      > btw, please, do release the A100 Mini-Schaltwerk module!
                                                      >

                                                      > Bakis
                                                      >

                                                      > ________________________________

                                                    • Matthew Shaw
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                                        Yes I would love to see the Schaltwerk again

                                                        --
                                                        Regards
                                                        Matthew Shaw

                                                        Matthew David Shaw Design
                                                        Mobile: 07570 063 126
                                                        Home: 01423 528 562
                                                        Skype: mattshawdesign
                                                        http://www.matthewdavidshaw.com
                                                        http://www.theshawinstitute.com
                                                        http://www.polyphasicrecordings.com

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                                          Huh? Mini-schaltwerk? What did I miss? Any info on the web on that?

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Mar 14, 2012
                                                            Search for Mini Schaltwerk in the usergroup messages or at

                                                            http://patchpierre.blogspot.com/search/label/A-157

                                                            Enjoy,
                                                            Pierre / PatchPierre / NetPierre

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Mar 15, 2012
                                                              > btw, please, do release the A100 Mini-Schaltwerk module!
                                                              >

                                                              > Bakis

                                                              It's in the pipeline behind A-192-2 and A-190-5. The new pcb with 8x16
                                                              buttons and LEDs is already made and we are about to develop the controller
                                                              board.

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Mar 15, 2012
                                                                great. lets hope for a release before the end of 2012...

                                                                Bakis