Re: [Doepfer_a100] Re: Demos of modules

  • Zoë Blade
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 11, 2011
      > So now all we need is a volunteer creating a folder in the Links section to put them all there (and regularly checks their validity).

      Well ideally, with everyone's permission, we could put all the audio clips (credited, of course) in one big place, so you can listen to pretty much any module without having to spend half an hour or so tracking the demo down first.
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 12, 2011
        > Here is one page I thought was a good resource by Andreas Krebs.
        > It has a lot of demos I have not seen on SoundCloud. About 6
        > pages of audio demos.
        >
        > http://blog.andreaskrebs.de/category/sound-examples/page/6/
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Raul

        P.S. Andreas Krebs wrote an excellent A-100 book (I have seen the
        preliminary preprint) in German language which will be available soon: "Das
        große A-100 Buch" which means "the big A-100 book". Andreas mentioned that
        he also plans an English version of this book.

      • Zoë Blade
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 12, 2011
          > Andreas Krebs wrote an excellent A-100 book (I have seen the
          > preliminary preprint) in German language which will be available soon: "Das
          > große A-100 Buch" which means "the big A-100 book". Andreas mentioned that
          > he also plans an English version of this book.

          If anyone sends a reminder to this list once the English version is out, I'll definitely buy it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

          Thanks,
          Zoë.
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 12, 2011
            when the English version is out, i'll make sure i will send a reminder!    :-)

            Bakis Sirros
            www. parallel - worlds - music. com
            www. facebook. com/ pages/Parallel-Worlds/192093934136476
            www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic
            www. myspace. com/ memorygeist
            www. DiN. org. uk
            www. vu-us. com

            ________________________________
            > Andreas Krebs wrote an excellent A-100 book (I have seen the
            > preliminary preprint) in German language which will be available soon: "Das
            > große A-100 Buch" which means "the big A-100 book". Andreas mentioned that
            > he also plans an English version of this book.

            If anyone sends a reminder to this list once the English version is out, I'll definitely buy it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

            Thanks,
            Zoë.

          • Ton Akveld
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 12, 2011
              You are indeed not the only one, German not being my forte...

              --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Zoë Blade <zoe@...> wrote:

              > > Andreas Krebs wrote an excellent A-100 book (I have seen the
              > > preliminary preprint) in German language which will be available soon: "Das
              > > große A-100 Buch" which means "the big A-100 book". Andreas mentioned that
              > > he also plans an English version of this book.
              >
              > If anyone sends a reminder to this list once the English version is out, I'll definitely buy it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Zoë.

            • Stuadh
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 13, 2011
                This is one of my observations on the whole modular world. Companies are quick to claim that their filter/VCO/bit wranlger is the best one around but many companies don't give audio demos. Given that many modules retail for well above pocket-money sums and that most of us can't pop in to the nearest retailer to try something out, demos that clearly give a flavour of the module should be essential. Indeed, I have often been convinced to part with my cash because of a good demos (Analogue Systems' Comb Filter, Tellun Corp's Neural Agoniser and the A-124 Wasp Filter, to name a few). Analogue Systems and Synthesis Technology (MOTM) are two of the better web-sites out there. Obviously, if you spend time researching, many examples of your intended purchase can be found but if I were trying to sell in what is a niche market, I'd be putting high-quality demos of my wares right next to the "Add to Basket" button in a single, easy to find location. Just my tuppen'arth.

                Yours Aye

                Stuadh

                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "Ton Akveld" <aca@...> wrote:

                > You are indeed not the only one, German not being my forte...
                >
                > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Zoë Blade <zoe@> wrote:
                > >
                > > > Andreas Krebs wrote an excellent A-100 book (I have seen the
                > > > preliminary preprint) in German language which will be available soon: "Das
                > > > große A-100 Buch" which means "the big A-100 book". Andreas mentioned that
                > > > he also plans an English version of this book.
                > >
                > > If anyone sends a reminder to this list once the English version is out, I'll definitely buy it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Zoë.

              • Zoë Blade
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 13, 2011
                  Exactly! All companies who believe in their products and want to maximise their sales really should let customers try them out. Make wanting and buying the product as easy as possible!
                • james.husted@mac.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 13, 2011
                    Most of the product we make in our Force Sensing Resistor (FSR) line only make an impression when actually touched and played. There are other touch and pressure products out there but none that use FSRs, and when people play our FSR modules they are typically very surprised with the sensitivity and control range that is possible with them. This is very hard to convey with a demo video. I try to go to as many "synth meet" types of events and trade shows as possible to allow many people the opportunity to get their hands on them. I have also loaned and sold units directly at dealer cost to a few users who promise to make videos with them. I would love to come up with a loaner/try-out system that would be safe from abuse but haven't come up with a good method yet. All I can do is hope more brick and mortar stores will open up and carry our gear.
                    -James

                    James Husted
                    Designer, Synthwerks LLC
                    www.synthwerks.com
                    james@...
                    synthwerks@...

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 14, 2011
                      > Most of the product we make in our Force Sensing Resistor (FSR)
                      > line only make an impression when actually touched and played.
                      > There are other touch and pressure products out there but none
                      > that use FSRs ...

                      In the A-198 and R2M FSR's are used since about 10 years :-)

                    • Zoë Blade
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 14, 2011
                        I can see how interfaces benefit from an in-person demo, but even with those types of modules, actually hearing the A-198 being used to play some music with lots of portamento and tremolo in a sound clip does help to show off what it can do that you can't easily do with, say, a MIDI keyboard, even with pitch bend.

                        Certainly in the case of sound generators such as oscillators, noise, drum modules and so on, and effects such as filters, distortion, delays and so on, it helps even more to hear what it sounds like first.

                        Just a suggestion, anyway. :)
                        Zoë.
                      • james.husted@mac.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 14, 2011
                          I forgot about ribbon controllers - most ribbon controllers that have a pressure output use FSR technology. I guess I amend it to "There are other touch and pressure products out there but few that use FSRs". Our FSR modules are not like ribbon controllers - they provide no position data, only pressure data - so I didn't even think of Ribbon controllers at all.
                          -James

                          James Husted
                          Designer, Synthwerks LLC
                          www.synthwerks.com
                          james@...
                          synthwerks@...

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 15, 2011
                            I just wanted to mention that the A-100 book by Andreas Krebs is now
                            available (so far only in German). 320 very detailed pages, fully colored,
                            hard cover and a lot of patch examples and useful hints. Fully recommendable
                            and a fair price for this quality. I asked Andreas to publish some sample
                            pages as preview.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 15, 2011
                              great!

                              when its ready in English, please, let us know Dieter.

                              Bakis Sirros
                              [Doepfer_a100] group owner