AW: [Doepfer_a100] Re: A-164-1 Manual gate doesn't trigger A-148 S&H

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 12 3:13 AM
      > Thanks so much for doing that, Florian!
      >
      > It's funny, because I followed your instructions and it still
      > didn't work. I started wondering if it might be because it was
      > the older version of the A-148 (version 2, 1996), so I tried it
      > on my newer A-148, and it worked perfectly.
      >
      > So, apparently there's some other differences between the two
      > versions of A-148?
      >
      > Thanks again, Florian --
      > Ernst

      I took a look at our records. There are four versions of the A-148 available
      (and the latest version 4 is already equipped with the 100k pull-down
      resistors at the Trig inputs). But the input stages are nearly the same for
      all four versions (a capacitor connected to the Trig input for AC coupling).
      From the theory the 100k pull-down at the Trig In socket should also work
      for the versions 1 and 2. Unfortunately I don't have a version 2 from 1996
      available to try it out. Maybe a smaller value for the pull-down (e.g. 10k)
      is required because the input capacitor is 10nF (compared to 330pF of the
      versions 3 and 4).

      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 14 6:19 AM
        I just wanted inform you that the knob manufacturer (ReAn
        Sulzer/Switzerland) has stopped the production of the knobs that were used
        in the A-100, MAQ16/3 and other products. We tried to buy the productions
        tools from ReAn as they are no longer used. But ReAn was not willing to sell
        the moulds. We are about to find another manufacturer who is able to produce
        a copy of the knob but I'm not sure if the copies will look exactly the
        same. I assume that all modules manufactured until end of this year will
        still be equipped with the original ReAn version of the knobs. But from
        early in 2012 the modules will be delivered little by little with the new
        knobs. We will try to get new knobs that look as close as possible to the
        old ones but I'm not sure if there may be a small noticeable difference.

      • Richard Horsman
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 14 6:27 AM
          Can we have a vote on this? I personally replace all the knobs on my Doepfer
          modules with those soft-touch rubberised ones (see picture here:
          http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-b1gP9BBmufo/TYaQc6dmS8I/AAAAAAAAAdA/e3kZLGmCsoo/s1600/P1060273.JPG
          )

          They feel better than the standard gray ones (in my opinion) and look
          smarter (again my opinion) and integrate better with modules from other
          manufacturers (you get the idea about my opinion!). I think if the new knobs
          were to be only "close" to the design of the old ones it might be better
          (and perhaps cheaper) to agree on a whole new design.

          And can we have black front panels? (only half joking).

          Richard Horsman

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 14 6:44 AM
            > Can we have a vote on this? I personally replace all the knobs on
            > my Doepfer
            > modules with those soft-touch rubberised ones (see picture here:
            > http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-b1gP9BBmufo/TYaQc6dmS8I/AAAAAAAAAdA/e3kZ
            > LGmCsoo/s1600/P1060273.JPG
            > )
            >
            > They feel better than the standard gray ones (in my opinion) and look
            > smarter (again my opinion) and integrate better with modules from other
            > manufacturers (you get the idea about my opinion!). I think if
            > the new knobs
            > were to be only "close" to the design of the old ones it might be better
            > (and perhaps cheaper) to agree on a whole new design.
            >
            > And can we have black front panels? (only half joking).
            >
            > Richard Horsman

            Sorry - but we will try to continue with the A-100 as it is (same knobs,
            same panels). It's all a matter of taste. And if we change to other knobs
            I'm quite sure that many other customers would complain. If someone wants
            other knobs he may replace the knobs as the 6 mm 18 theeth shaft is a
            standard. From my point of view continuity is important for a product like
            the A-100 system. I would probably change some things if I could put the
            wheel of history into reverse (but not the knobs, the panels and the
            printing as I still like them).

          • Os
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 14 6:45 AM
              Agreed. I do exactly the same.

              os.

              os@...
              http://twitter.com/expertsleepers
              http://www.darkroomtheband.net/
              http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/
            • blacet@blacet.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 14 6:50 AM
                I wonder what their logic was to not sell the knob production tooling?
                Seems kind of rude to stop producing the knobs and even more rude not to
                sell the tooling!

                Lots of companies used the REAN knobs.

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 14 7:22 AM
                  >Sorry - but we will try to continue with the A-100 as it is (same knobs,
                  >same panels). It's all a matter of taste. And if we change to other knobs
                  >I'm quite sure that many other customers would complain. If someone wants
                  >other knobs he may replace the knobs as the 6 mm 18 theeth shaft is a
                  >standard. From my point of view continuity is important for a product like
                  >the A-100 system. I would probably change some things if I could put the
                  >wheel of history into reverse (but not the knobs, the panels and the
                  >printing as I still like them).
                  >Best wishes
                  >Dieter Doepfer

                  Hey I've got a bag of about 200 of them - they could be worth something on
                  Muffs B/S/T forum in a year or two from now ;-)

                  I can almost hear the conversation about how much more "rich", "rubbery",
                  "phat" and "woody" the old knobs were compared to the new ones! I reckon
                  I'll be able to get EUR 5 for each of them LOL.

                  Sorry to joke - I can see this is going to cause a big problem. I still
                  think the results of a vote would be interesting.

                • synovatron
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 14 10:32 AM
                    Hi Dieter,

                    The Cliff rep told me about this several months ago but I thought it was just him trying to sell me Cliff knobs. I guess it is the whole P570 range and not just the grey with black pointer types - or is it all Re'an knobs (even the soft touch ones that AS use)?

                    I took ages to select a knob type for my (Synovatron) CV Tools modules (black with red pointer) and will be dissapointed if I have to select another type - not quite such a headache for me as it is for you though and I do empaphise.

                    Best wishes
                    Tony (Synovatron Electronic Music)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 14 10:42 AM
                      although i have no problem with the original grey Doepfer knobs... i'm sure some users will party soon...    :D

                      btw, Dieter, you may just try to put new knobs that do not look similar to the old ones....

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 15 12:41 AM
                        > Hi Dieter,
                        >
                        > The Cliff rep told me about this several months ago but I thought
                        > it was just him trying to sell me Cliff knobs. I guess it is the
                        > whole P570 range and not just the grey with black pointer types -
                        > or is it all Re'an knobs (even the soft touch ones that AS use)?
                        >
                        > I took ages to select a knob type for my (Synovatron) CV Tools
                        > modules (black with red pointer) and will be dissapointed if I
                        > have to select another type - not quite such a headache for me as
                        > it is for you though and I do empaphise.
                        >
                        > Best wishes
                        > Tony (Synovatron Electronic Music)

                        Hello Tony,

                        the German ReAn/Sulzer representative (Adam) told me that the complete knob
                        production will be stopped. But that's a second hand information and I
                        cannot 100% confirm that. But I think it's true as the ReAn knobs have been
                        removed from several online shops (e.g. Mouser) or are available only while
                        stocks last(e.g. SOS electronic sell-off of ReAn knobs:
                        www.soselectronic.com).

                      • thomas_escure
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 17 10:09 AM
                          A change of knobs doesn't disturb me at all, but thanks to Dieter for the warning.
                          I really like the current Doepfer knobs, but I think I'd prefer a big change (like black soft knobs with white pointers) over a slight - but noticeable - change. Maybe we could start a poll ?