Module requests: Simple 48 db filter and simple Hipass

  • Joachim
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 14, 2010
      Hi,

      I would like to share two module suggestion that came to my mind
      while patching:

      1. A simple and cheap dual 48 db filter to use with the BBD modules.
      Only 2 jacks (in/out) and 1 potentiometer (frequency) per filter.

      2. A simple and cheap (maybe passive) Hipass filter (80 Hz), maybe also
      dual:
      2 jacks (in/out) + bypass switch.
      Useful for modules which generate too much low end signals.
      If it would be active and dual, one 80 Hz and one 40 Hz filter would
      make sense in my eyes. The latter could then be used for basses and
      bassdrums and cut those frequencies that almost no loudspeaker can
      handle and thus increase the headroom and help reduce some nasty
      unwanted distortion effects.

      What do you think?

      Cheers
      Joachim
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 15, 2010
        hello joachim,

        > I would like to share two module suggestion that came to my mind
        > while patching:
        >
        > 1. A simple and cheap dual 48 db filter to use with the BBD modules.
        > Only 2 jacks (in/out) and 1 potentiometer (frequency) per filter.

        in principle a good idea, but i'm not sure if it would be
        really satisfying for using it with a bbd, at least for me.
        without a cv input the filter cannot follow the clock of the bbd,
        which means that you need to close the filter more than necessary,
        when the delay time is modulated. the a188 has a cv output for
        controlling a vcf, so you can dial in just as much filtering as
        necessary, which is a great feature imho. this is of course not
        valid if the delay time is not modulated, but isn't that a big
        part of the fun on bbd delays? often i also add a slight portion
        of resonance on the vcf to emphasize the higher frequencies,
        which reduces the dulling effect even more. i always use
        the a108 for that, but somehow it is a bit of an overkill,
        especially when you want to filter before and after the bbd
        and therefore need two of them. so to make it cheaper without
        omiting the useful things, i would prefer a very steep
        dual vcf with reduced functions. only one cv input per channel
        instead of 3, no resonance insert, no attenuators for the
        audio input and a more neutral sounding and simpler filter
        circuit (no need for selected transistor ladder stuff here).
        it should have 48db steepness, or even 60db if possible.
        i want such a module since the a188 is available and i would
        buy it instantly. there was a switched capacitor dual filter in
        the planning stage some years ago, for exactly this purpose,
        but i believe that technical issues delayed the development
        and i don't know if this project is still alive.

        > 2. A simple and cheap (maybe passive) Hipass filter (80 Hz), maybe also
        > dual:
        > 2 jacks (in/out) + bypass switch.
        > Useful for modules which generate too much low end signals.
        > If it would be active and dual, one 80 Hz and one 40 Hz filter would
        > make sense in my eyes. The latter could then be used for basses and
        > bassdrums and cut those frequencies that almost no loudspeaker can
        > handle and thus increase the headroom and help reduce some nasty
        > unwanted distortion effects.

        a passive dual highpass filter is not a bad idea,
        i just don't know how many people would buy it,
        as it is a very simple circuit.
        maybe you should start a poll?

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 15, 2010
          agree with Ingo.
          i'd also be interested in a dual 48db lowpass filter module with simple features, for use with my A188 BBD modules.

          Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist

          [Doepfer_a100] group owner

          www. parallel - worlds - music. com

          www. myspace. com/ parallelworldsmusic

          www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic

          www. myspace. com/ memorygeist

          www. DiN. org. uk

          www. musicamaximamagnetica. com

          www. vu-us. com

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 16, 2010
            Hi Ingo,

            a CV input sounds comprehensible to me. I just thought to omit it to
            keep it simple and cheap but if it is needed it is needed.
            Price is not everything. ;)

            The 48 db filter is more important to me than the simple highpass.

            Cheers
            Joachim

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 16, 2010
              the filter we need for our A-188 BBD modules is here (ok, in 30db or 60 db slopes):

              http://www.doepfer.de/A100_SCF.htm

              now lets see if Dieter will finalize it and bring it into production...

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 16, 2010
                yes, but it should be the version described in the red font
                on top of the page, a dual 30db version which can be
                coupled to work as a 60db filter. i don't know if steeper
                filters push the price further up. if not, that even a
                dual 60db filter would make sense imo.

                --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, Bakis Sirros <synth_freak_2000@...> wrote:

                > the filter we need for our A-188 BBD modules is here (ok, in 30db or 60 db slopes):
                >
                > http://www.doepfer.de/A100_SCF.htm
                >
                > now lets see if Dieter will finalize it and bring it into production...
                >

                > Bakis Sirros - Parallel Worlds / Interconnected / Memory Geist
                >
                > [Doepfer_a100] group owner
                >
                > www. parallel - worlds - music. com
                >
                > www. myspace. com/ parallelworldsmusic
                >
                > www. myspace. com/ interconnectedmusic
                >
                > www. myspace. com/ memorygeist
                >
                > www. DiN. org. uk
                >
                > www. musicamaximamagnetica. com
                >
                > www. vu-us. com

              • zaum
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 17, 2010
                  If one is looking to improve performance on the BBD modules I'd think
                  besides a steep filter, wouldn't one also want a compander (compressor
                  & expander) to improve signal to noise
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 17, 2010
                    --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, zaum <zaum@...> wrote:

                    > If one is looking to improve performance on the BBD modules I'd think
                    > besides a steep filter, wouldn't one also want a compander (compressor
                    > & expander) to improve signal to noise

                    yes, indeed that helps to improve the signal/noise ratio.
                    anyway you have to filter out the clock noise before
                    comressing the signal, otherwise the clock noise is
                    compressed too and gets even more audible.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 17, 2010
                      --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, "selfoscillate" <synaptic_music@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Doepfer_a100@yahoogroups.com, zaum <zaum@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > If one is looking to improve performance on the BBD modules I'd think
                      > > besides a steep filter, wouldn't one also want a compander (compressor
                      > > & expander) to improve signal to noise
                      >

                      > yes, indeed that helps to improve the signal/noise ratio.
                      > anyway you have to filter out the clock noise before
                      > comressing the signal, otherwise the clock noise is
                      > compressed too and gets even more audible.

                      i mean, of course, when compressing the bbd output.
                      compressing the input is good in any case and doesn't
                      affect the clock noise.